BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Project related discussions

Project related discussions This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

atgcpaul is on a distinguished road
Does crown molding have a top and bottom?

I'm about to install this crown molding from Wall Lumber.

My wife actually prefers it with the bulge on the bottom rather than on top
like in the picture. Is there a practical or aesthetic reason to install it as
shown or should I just listen to her?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-19-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

TheRic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgcpaul View Post
... My wife actually prefers it with the bulge on the bottom rather than on top like in the picture. Is there a practical or aesthetic reason to install it as shown ...
No clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgcpaul View Post
... should I just listen to her? ...
If she is like my wife YES!!

Personally I would install it how I (we) want it to look. We have to put up with seeing it everyday.

Edit: After taking a double look at the picture, would there be a valley / dust trap / bug trap /etc if turned upside down.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Last edited by TheRic; 08-19-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Established Member

lebomike is on a distinguished road
The way you are showing the picture is correct. I have installed this in many homes and it is always like you are showing. Just remember whe you are cutting the miters for the corners, it is always upside down and backwards for it to fit properly.
That being said, if she wants it the other way, go for it.

Mike
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

cabinetman is on a distinguished road
Usually, the small detail is the bottom of the moulding.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Mr__Bill is on a distinguished road
Yes, the angles on the edge of crown molding are 52 and 38 deg.* Normally the crown molding extends further onto the ceiling than down the wall. If you need to mount it with the top side down and wish to maintain the same aspect ratio then you could re-cut the edges.

Now, does you wife really want it that way or did you just ask, "Witch way do you like it dear?" and she made the decision without really having a preference. The purpose of the molding is to hide what was typically a bad joint at the top of the wall, think post and beam, lath and plaster, seasonal movement and no fiberglass reinforced tape. The busy part or detail edge takes the eye and focuses your view on the wall and off of the ceiling. Walls have things you want to be looked at and ceilings have cracks, think walking on the floor above and lath and plaster.....

In today's house you should have none of the problems that early builders had but, do you really want people looking at the ceiling and tripping over the cat rather than at your wife's artwork on the wall?

Bill, who thinks that having started second guessing his wife there is no hope left for Paul.

* I am sure there is stuff out there with different angles, this is just what I am used to.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Tom Slick is on a distinguished road
Another reason not to install it upside down is the profile was designed with its "shadow lines" to look a certain way when installed correctly. When it is upside down it will not look correct.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Established Member

stormdog74 is on a distinguished road
Another concern would be when you go to sell the house - if someone notices that (I would) it would be another thing that needs to be fixed and would probably cut into your sale price. It might make people think "what else wasn't done right".
Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 PM

jonmulzer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
Another reason not to install it upside down is the profile was designed with its "shadow lines" to look a certain way when installed correctly. When it is upside down it will not look correct.
My thoughts also upon reading this. It will throw off the shadow lines and create a trap for flying dust bunnies.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 AM
The Full Monte

crokett is on a distinguished road
Paul,

Not listening to your wife is gonna get you into trouble. Funny you should ask this now though.One of my brothers is a part-time handyman. Two weeks ago he installed the trim in a house for a contractor after a guy got sick. HeThe client insisted the crown be installed like your wife wife wants. He told me about it then and we agreed it would look terrible. My brother called last night to tell me he is being called back to pull the crown and turn it over.

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

cabinetman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crokett View Post
Paul,

Not listening to your wife is gonna get you into trouble. Funny you should ask this now though.One of my brothers is a part-time handyman. Two weeks ago he installed the trim in a house for a contractor after a guy got sick. HeThe client insisted the crown be installed like your wife wife wants. He told me about it then and we agreed it would look terrible. My brother called last night to tell me he is being called back to pull the crown and turn it over.

If he's going to try to reuse what's up...longer pieces can be cut shorter, but...