Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Computer Tech On TV Always Makes Me Laugh

Originally posted by CSI:NY
    "I will create a GUI interface with Visual Basic. Maybe I can track him by his IP address"
    uttered by a character on the rerun of the season ender from May.

I suppose you could create a GUI interface with VB to track an IP address but there are already many many tools out there to do this.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

not to nit pick, but wouldn't GUI Interface be redundant, just like the ATM machine?

To be fair, the GUI is needed so the home viewer can see what is really going on since it is so hard to read the command line interface if you don't have HDTV.
    Chr's

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I suppose a GUI would be needed, but there are already many GUIs out there that track IP addresses. Plus she's some kinda programmer (in addition to being a crack forensics person) that can gin up an IP tracking GUI in the few minutes they have to track the person before he or she drops off-line.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• unclecritic
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2008
        • Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829, (2) bt-3100's

HAH!...

I just saw that a few minutes ago.. I rewound the dvr to see if that actually what she said lol

She was fast too... In about 5 minutes she had that thing whipped up...

Comment

• Wood_workur
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Ohio
          • Ryobi bt3100-1

in two seconds windows has a built in too that provides you with all incoming and outgoing ip addresses.
          Alex

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

Never watched the show.

But if she was a real computer geek in the police / forensics department I would think she would already have at least one IP tracking program on her computer!
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by unclecritic
              HAH!...

I just saw that a few minutes ago.. I rewound the dvr to see if that actually what she said lol

She was fast too... In about 5 minutes she had that thing whipped up...
              Fast - cause she downloaded an existing one and then told her boss that she made it! So easy to fool the boss and public alike!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

I don't think TV or movies are ever as enjoyable when you know a lot about the subject. I can't ever watch a submarine movie anymore. Even the ones that are pretty well done (Red October) get so many things wrong. Most get everything wrong (Crimson Tide).

My guess is that real Doctors can't watch the medical-based shows without shouting at their TVs. Ditto lawyers, forensic pathologists, etc...
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Handy Al
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Worthington, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100

At least they got away from the letters being type across the CRT screen to the sound of a teletype machine. Remember teletypes?
                  "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• mschrank
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Hood River, OR, USA.
                    • BT3000

I always get a kick out of the all the cool graphics in the applications on the CSI PC's. All black backgrounds...lots of needless lines and funky sound effects. I doubt the real software used to match fingerprints looks like that.

It is tough to watch shows where you know the subject matter....and CSI is especially bad. I'm a GIS geek for a living. I've seen them use GIS on the show many times....it's great technology but it's not quite what they show.

My wife is a clinical pharmacist in a hospital...she can't stand shows like ER or even Scrubs. She does seem to enjoy House, however.
                    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by mschrank
                      My wife is a clinical pharmacist in a hospital...she can't stand shows like.... Scrubs.

Blasphemy!!! Scrubs is a great show! It doesn't pretend to be anything serious like ER. I mean, I don't really expect that hospitals are run like Sacred Heart.
                      David

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

I always enjoy the fact that anytime a computer searches or scans for anything it is a GUI with text flying by, as if the computer searches optically or that the user needs to see the text to verify it is scanning. Somehow everyone is able to type at 60 words per minute no matter what angle they are standing/sitting to the keyboard.

Actors portraying the military on TV shows drive me crazy, the uniforms are usually incorrect and their behavior and speech patters are very stereotypical.
                        I also notice that any agency that isn't the main characters' is always a bunch of by the book buffoons. If you watch "Numbers" anyone who isn't FBI couldn't investigate their way into the next room and always have a closed mind. Somehow the FBI always saves the day and regular cops run around like idiots.
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jussi
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by crokett
                          Blasphemy!!! Scrubs is a great show! It doesn't pretend to be anything serious like ER.
                          +1 I actually didn't start watching till the show went to syndication. One of the few funny shows.
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Handy Al
                            At least they got away from the letters being type across the CRT screen to the sound of a teletype machine. Remember teletypes?
                            yeah that used to crack me up.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
                              I suppose a GUI would be needed, but there are already many GUIs out there that track IP addresses. Plus she's some kinda programmer (in addition to being a crack forensics person) that can gin up an IP tracking GUI in the few minutes they have to track the person before he or she drops off-line.
                              I think twistol was saying that, "GUI interface" is like saying "Graphical User Interface Interface."

Like "VIN Number" is like saying "Vehicle Identification Number Number."

Comment

Working...