• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Popcorn ceiling removal

Anyone here removed their old acoustic ("popcorn") ceiling? Was it "raw" (as applied) or had it been painted? Mine is painted, and I'm looking for the best method to get water to penetrate the latex to soften the popcorn medium so it can be scraped off.

I've heard that the disadvantage of a painted popcorn ceiling is getting the water or other liquid solvent to penetrate to the popcorn medium. The advantage is that, if you can penetrate it, the paint tends to hold the glop together and bring it down in larger clumps, almost pulling itself off the surface. I saw a Youtube video of this in operation, with about 3/4 of a living room ceiling popcorn coating coming down in one piece.

I've seen suggestions like scraping the tops of the highest bumps on the surface before misting with water, or adding something to the water to help it penetrate before spraying, with vinegar, dish detergent, and fabric softener among the suggestions.

BTW, mine does contain some asbestos, so it'll be a meticulous negative pressure, sealed-room, moonsuit-equipped operation.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

I've had success using warm water with a little soap in it. I apply it with an insecticide sprayer. In a few minutes the warm water will turn the paint and 'popcorn' into a gooey glop.

I use a wide spackle knife to slew off the glop onto a cookie sheet held underneath the knife.

It takes just a few minutes to perfect the timing and technique and it works like a charm.

No dust and easy cleanup.
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

Use Murphy's law on it - If you try to REMOVE it, it won't come off. If you try to paint over it to PRESERVE it, it will fall off in big sheets. Don't ask my wife how she knows.
      - Chris.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

What eccentrictinkerer said. In our old house the ceiling in the master bath was damaged because water was condensing on an uninsulated cooling duct in the attic. I scraped the popcorn off and put up a textured paint. I also used warm soapy water and a wide knife, but I scraped it into a grocery bag. I believe they make special scrapers that you can attach a bag to.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by dlminehart
          BTW, mine does contain some asbestos, so it'll be a meticulous negative pressure, sealed-room, moonsuit-equipped operation.
          David, we've had this discussion here before. I got religion when I investigated doing this myself. It is very scary business. I'd have a pro do it.

JR
          JR

Comment

• frumper64
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Garland, Tx, USA.

scraper

If you can get it softened up, both Lowes and HD carry a pretty handy scraper tool to scrape it off with. It is basically a scraper with a rectangular frame upon which you hang a plastic grocery bag. The bag does a pretty good job of catching the wet popcorn media - probably gets 80-90% of it. I used this thing a couple of years ago to take the popcorn off our ceilings.
            Jim
            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw

I have had the same experience as Chris earlier. Ceiling paint applied liberally brings it all down quickly and you've already started the paint job.

Comment

• wardprobst
                • Jan 2006
                • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                • Craftsman 22811

Good suggestions but I'd use a little wall paper remover in the warm to hot water; it's a better surfactant.
                DP
                www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• mschrank
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Hood River, OR, USA.
                  • BT3000

I did this a bit over a year ago. Mine had been painted, but it was a pretty thin layer. I sprayed it with hot water mixed with a bit of dish soap using a garden sprayer. It came off easily using a wide drywall knife.

If your paint is thick, I think you'll need some way to perforate the paint. I've seen some type of yard tool with little spikes on wheels that might do the trick (don't know what it's called). Golf shoes might work too, though it's hard to walk on the ceiling.

Once you spray it, you'll probably want to leave it for a bit to let the water soak into the texture.

Sounds like you have it figured out as far as safety. I completely masked off all walls and the floor with plastic sheeting (This took more time than the removal). This made clean-up a snap...just start removing the plastic from the top down and roll the whole mess up into the plastic. I wore a tyvek body suit, booties, and a good respirator.

Here's a good link if you haven't found it: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...opcornoff.html
                  Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

A slight aside:
                    What do you do with the ceiling once the popcorn is off? did you spray texture it? skimcoat? nothing but patch, prime, and paint?
                    I'm thinking of stripping mine off also but am wondering how much more work it creates.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      A slight aside:
                      What do you do with the ceiling once the popcorn is off? did you spray texture it? skimcoat? nothing but patch, prime, and paint?
                      I'm thinking of stripping mine off also but am wondering how much more work it creates.
                      I skim coated ours and them primed/painted with a very flat ceiling paint to
                      hide the bad skim coat job. Looked great and never heard a complaint when
                      the house was for sale.

Comment

• mschrank
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Hood River, OR, USA.
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                        A slight aside:
                        I had a drywall guy come in and take care of it. He had to re-skim the joints and screws...apparently they didn't need much more than one coat for the original job since it would be covered by popcorn.

After that he applied what he called a "brocade" texture. I was hesitant based on the name....made me think of the hideous red/gold foil wallpaper in my grandma's house...but it turned out great.
                        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...