• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

dbhosts workshop.

Just a quick history of the last 11 months of my workshop, and how it went from a garage with a couple of handheld power tools to a relatively productive workshop. I have to break this up into several posts as the site limits the number of images you can post...

Prior to January 2008, my garage was set up as an auto repair workshop, with the workbench that is still there, Machinists vise which works great for holding CV shafts while banging the joint past the spring clips, the old Ace hardware grinder, the mechanics tool box, a Skil Saw, a jig saw, an old Ryobi router and Wolfcraft router table, 4 bar clamps, and an old Craftsman drill... I was able to get the VERY minimum done with the sparse shop. So bear with me as I walk you through the evolution of my shop, and bring you up to today...

Starting in January of 2008
    The workbench.

The router table with Ryobi R161 router, hand tools, Skil router bits, and some storage bins on the wall.

So now we get into new goodies territory...

The Ryobi BTS-21 job site saw. Not a bad saw, but not a BT by any means.

The Firestorm miter saw and stand. Done everything I wanted to with ease and accuracy. Just wish they offered this as a dual bevel slider...

The blurry photo of the mechanics tool chest and Machinists vise.

----Continued....
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

---continued...

Then by May I started in earnest picking up clamps and such... My first batch required a clamp rack to be shop built.

Another shot at the workbench. I added the Geckos Toes hangers after seeing them demoed at the Houston Home & Garden show. Now I wish I had gotten reels instead. The bench grinder is an old unit I got from an Ace Hardware I used to work at when they closed down.

Most likely the worlds silliest excuse for a drill press. It works, sort of. This was an Ebay special. I am anxious to replace it with a "real" drill press.

The shop built sawhorses. I had the brackets handy, and 2x4s in the back of the garage, so they went together hust tall enough to match the height of the table saw, they act as side supports when cross cutting long material.

This is a temporary rig thrown together with 2x4 and T1-11 siding scrap just to get the router table off of the workbench. The joinery is pocket screws. It is functional, not pretty. The idea behind this is to have a router table space until I finally get a Ryobi BT3100 or Craftsman 21829. I know there are folks here not particularly foond of thsoe saws, but I really like them...

---continued...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

---continued...

In June, the dust collection system started coming together. I got rid of the Shop Vac Hangup with the puny 1.25" hose and grabbed a 12 gallon Ridgid Wet / Dry vac with 2.5" hose, added a Shop Vac brand 2.5" sawdust collection system.

Still more clamps, and safety gear getting added, along with peg board, and moving the blue bins around some to fit the wall layout now...

By August I had added the band saw, and put taller legs on the workbench... Sorry, I don't have a good pic readily available of the band saw with the riser block on it...

Users here at BT3Central.com with decent memory can recall my experience with getting a Band saw, and getting it to the point I wanted it. Other than a need for better blades (REALLY want Timberwolf) and the Grizzly tension release mod, I am very happy with my saw...

---continued...

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

---continued...

Then in September, the Ridgid Sander, and Ryobi planer got mounted on stands, (there's the riser block pic!)

And in October I added the Thien Cyclone...

Meanwhile I have added bits, blades, and countless other small stuff, and have been cleaning, painting and rearranging the entire shop. Even with the BTS-21 table saw, I am plenty productive, and accurate with my processing of wood. Could I be happier? Sure. I have a way to go. But with the things I am learning from the good folks here, and at the other main forum I frequent, I am making great strides in making my shop an effective layout, where I am not left wanting for a tool to do a specific job...

I keep organizing, and adding the tools I need / want, but I finally am at a point where I am comfortable in equipment, knowledge, and skills to accomplish some real projects beyond small toys, and birdhouses... Several projects for LOML are currently underway.

I only hope my input to this group (and the others I am involved in) has been half as helpful as the input I have received, you guys and gals have been priceless assets for me to get up to speed with woodworking.
        Last edited by dbhost; 11-06-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Gary Lange
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2008
          • Nixa, Missouri
          • Grizzly 1023SL

Looks like you have a bunch of stuff that moves out of the way for the car. I am still collecting clamps I think you can't have to many clamps. Looks like some projects are going to get started pretty soon.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Nice progression...I enjoyed the photo tour!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Nice shop. I like the clear dust collection piping. I'm using the black plastic hose now and I've thought (to myself) "I've gotta get something with actual pipe that is smooth on the inside," but haven't done so yet. Your pics make me want to get my rear in gear.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Gary,

Actually, I have to put the sander, the Planer, and the Band saw on mobile bases and soon. I am trying to shift everything to the right side of the garage other than the clamps so LOML can get her car in the garage. My truck won't fit. Too tall, too long, and almost too wide.

Phil,

Check out the Shop Vac website, they probably still have the $39 and change deal on the Sawdust Collection System. Just make sure you tape up the joints. They leak pretty badly...

Dustmight,

Glad you enjoyed it. More changes coming. I just hope these dumb posts help at least one other person out...

All,

Yeah, there's projects going on, way too many projects. A shadow box, mitered frame raised panel doors, drawer boxes, and of course the step stool for LOML...
                Last edited by dbhost; 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...