• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

More fun with doweling jigs

After writing about my "sliding doweling jig" (based on a jig I saw in Fine Woodworking), I heard from a number of people that complained that: (1) They had difficulty drilling perfectly straight holes that are 1-1/2" deep and (2) They've had trouble locating the spacers I use as bushings.

I've also thought long and hard about doweling jigs and how I could improve my design. To make it more universal, so that it could be used in table stretchers and face frames and cabinet carcases alike.

While I was doing my thinking, I discovered that Rockler now sells an inexpensive doweling jig (only $9.99 as of this writing). Here, this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=dowel%20jig

It is simply a hardened drill bushing with two 3/8" holes, attached to a transparent guide featuring center lines. Rockler seems to really be pitching it for face frames.

So I purchased a couple of them to experiment with, and I've come to the opinion that it actually ideally suited to all sorts of doweling tasks. With a little modification, that is.

The clear plastic guide has got to go. First, it is too slippery and when clamped to the workpiece is inclined to allow movement while drilling. Second, I don't like referencing from the center of the holes of the guide. I prefer to reference from the edges of the steel bushing instead.

So I made three new hardboard guides to replace the original transparent guide. Each board is sized according to its use: (1) This first guide is for face frames, and is 1-3/4" wide and 4" long. All my face frames are 1-3/4" wide, and the steel drill bushing is 2" wide. So using the edge of the steel drill bushing as a reference won't work. BUT, by attaching a 1-3/4" wide hardboard guide, I can now use the edge of my shop-made guide as a reference. I simply align the edges of the guide with the edges of my frame member, clamp, and drill my two holes. I don't think it could be any faster.

(2) The second guide is for edge-drilling cabinet pieces, and is 2" wide and 4" long. It is a little redundant, as the 1-3/4" wide guide would have sufficed. At the time, I supposed the extra width would help in gripping the workpiece. But with the use of the non-slip stair tape (see below), that really isn't a concern.

(3) The third and final (so far) guide is for face-drilling cabinet pieces, and is 2" wide but only 2-1/4" long (so it extends only 3/4" below the bottom of the steel drill bushing). This allows me to drill face holes in cabinet pieces.

Each of my shop-made guides has non-slip stair tape covering it entire face. The non-slip tape extends all the way under the steel bushing. This tape provides a death grip that prevents the bushing from moving while drilling.

While doing cabinets, the two pairs of outside holes (flush front and flush back) are easy, just align to the edge of the steel drill bushing, clamp, and drill. For holes in the center of the panel, simply use your combination square to locate the steel bushing. You can easily drill four sets of two holes with a single combination square setting (one referencing the front edge of the piece, one referencing the rear edge of the piece). If you need more, use two combination squares, or make a jig that references from previously drilled holes.

I've included some pictures showing the unit in its various configurations (under use), and some of the results. I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Edges are perfectly aligned, and it requires minimal effort to achieve excellent results. Cost is nominal, and the design is flexible enough that I can easily add spacers for things like offset joints.

I'm happy to have another alternative to joining wood that is strong, flexible, and very inexpensive.

If there is any interest I have important information for others that might want to try duplicating this. But I don't want to get too technical in a first message.

I have concluded that a drill bushing with two holes is actually ideal when it comes to flexibility. You'd think two holes is going to require excessive repositioning. That, four or five holes would be wiser. In reality, though, I don't often want to run a line of four or five holes in a row, you don't need that many closely spaces holes in a cabinet joint. And for something like an apron to leg joint, it is easy to get four holes with a single move of the jig, and the holes are arranged symmetrically in the joint. And for face frames (where two holes is obviously ideal) you don't struggle with a bulky jig that wants to fall off the frame member while you're trying to clamp it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cgallery; 11-08-2008, 11:21 PM.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I'm happy to have another alternative to joining wood that is strong, flexible, and very inexpensive.

If there is any interest I have important information for others that might want to try duplicating this. But I don't want to get too technical in a first message.

I've never tried dowels, but it looks like something that I'm going to have to add to my bag of tricks.

Please, give us the gory details!
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Excellent approach

The first time I've seen a jig (with your mods), for dowelling that obviously works.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

cool, i like what you have presented. got to get one of those, i guess i should just pay a visit to my rockler store.

so when are you going to post the additional information, or are you emailing to those who ask?

thanks!

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Sorry for not responding earlier. There isn't that much more information, but I got tired of typing.

First, for the narrow (1-3/4") face-frame guide, it is critical that that 1/4" holes are perfectly centered. This is because we're using the guide as our reference. A small (1/32", for example) variation in centering the holes will result in face frames where the end-grain of the stile isn't flush with the edge-grain of the rail by twice your error (1/16" in my example).

This is how I find the center of the guide:

I extend my combination square's blade to 7/8" from the head. I mark two center lines, one with the square's head referencing the left-hand side of the guide, the other with the head referencing the right-hand side of the guide.

Due to the thickness of the pencil lead, or error in setting the square "just right" (or both), marking the center twice will result in two very closely spaced lines, or a single thicker line. True, dead center is the center point between the two individual lines or single thicker line. You eye will very easily be able to center the brad point of a 1/4" bit using this method. Just "split" the line(s).

But there is one more point: When attaching the 1-3/4" wide face frame guide to the steel drill bushing, you need to square them to one another. Clamp a piece of wood with a square corner in your vise. Place the steel drill bushing on top and overlap the square edge by 1/8". Now adjust the guide so it is even with the edge of the board, and tighten the screws. Use your steel rule to confirm that the guide is centered on the steel drill bushing.

You may want to make a practice joint or two to make certain you've got the fundamentals down. Don't hesitate to let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
            cool, i like what you have presented. got to get one of those, i guess i should just pay a visit to my rockler store.

so when are you going to post the additional information, or are you emailing to those who ask?

thanks!
            Hey Omar, if you come up here to Rockler, do drop by and say hi.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Awesome - with minimal cost you seem to have got an equivalent of the Dowelmax! And my Dowelmax at $230+ seems an embarrassing overkill!

But frankly, you have conducted some very good machining with high accuracy; I doubt I could have managed that on my own.

I agree with you on two vital points - one rarely needs more than two holes in a stretch; I never have, as yet. And accurate dowel joints add an immense amount of strength with minimalist simplicity. My favorite joints nowadays, even before pocket-holes.
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by radhak
                Awesome - with minimal cost you seem to have got an equivalent of the Dowelmax! And my Dowelmax at $230+ seems an embarrassing overkill!

But frankly, you have conducted some very good machining with high accuracy; I doubt I could have managed that on my own.

I agree with you on two vital points - one rarely needs more than two holes in a stretch; I never have, as yet. And accurate dowel joints add an immense amount of strength with minimalist simplicity. My favorite joints nowadays, even before pocket-holes.
                The thing that surprises me is the lack of precise dowel jigs on the market. The Dowelmax is a sophisticated piece of machining, and I get the price. But there are less expensive ways to make a dowel jig that are every bit as precise. Yet, the low-end Chinese products are all very gimmicky.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                  Hey Omar, if you come up here to Rockler, do drop by and say hi.
                  sure thing jon! i think i may be up there today, but i will call you before i head out.

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

I dont do dowels much as I always find alignment can be a PITA. I have a "dowl it" jig like this one that I picked up at a yard sale for $5.

http://www.woodworkersshop.com/index...OD&ProdID=1179

The jig helps to get accurate centers on the boards and works pretty well for psuedo tenons. laying out larger joints is tough and attaching to the face of a board is not possible with this jig.

Does anybody have something similar and has figured out an easy and accurate method of using it. I may use it more if I could find a more reliable and accurate method.

Right now I tend to reach for my BJ or PH jig.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

My problems w/ the auto-centering jigs: (1) the middle block doesn't typically stay very parallel to the edge of the wood you're drilling. I've tried two different brands, and each suffered from a lack of consistency. The variance ranges from nothing to almost 1/32" (which is A LOT), and changes each time you clamp. I consider this the major problem.

(2) Really geared towards edge doweling. You can use a sacrificial piece of wood for surface drilling, but it will reduce accuracy.

(3) Spacing of the holes seems to have been dictated by the design, rather than the design dictated by thoughtful hole spacing.

(4) Center-referencing rather than edge referencing.

Comment

• ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by poolhound
                        I dont do dowels much as I always find alignment can be a PITA. I have a "dowl it" jig like this one that I picked up at a yard sale for $5.

http://www.woodworkersshop.com/index...OD&ProdID=1179

Does anybody have something similar and has figured out an easy and accurate method of using it. I may use it more if I could find a more reliable and accurate method.
                        I have the same dowel jig and have used it for face frames. That said, once I discovered pocket holes I haven't used it since. Sits on the shelf waiting for an appropriate project??
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

Comment

• milanuk
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

I dunno... I'd read all the hooplah about the Dowelmax, and it did seem like the best thing since sliced cheese, or so they say...

I had a dowel jig that I'd purchased 'just to have one' years ago, never really used it. I had a project recently that the plans called for dowels to act as alignment pins for the stretchers on a work bench, so I dug out the box and dusted it off. Then I found it didn't come with the right size dowel centers, and this god-forsaken one-horse town I'm in didn't have *any* sets of dowel centers between Lowes, Home Depot, two Ace hardware stores, and Sear. I had to get a set (of one particular size, not a complete 'set') from an online store when I ordered something else I needed. Then I started using the blasted thing... either I was being more retarded than usual, or that thing just completely sucked. The dowels were sticking out of the holes all catty-wampus and I had a miserable time using the transfer centers.

When it was all said and done, I dusted off another tool that I'd gotten a couple years back (had a gift card and a sale but no real need at the time - a dangerous combination!) - a Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiner. Fired it up, made some test cuts, adjusted it to put the slots where I wanted them, zip zip zip done. At that point I was just standing there holding the PC557 staring at it thinking "Where have you been all my life, darling?"

So now the PC557 is feuding w/ my Kreg pocket hole jig for quick-n-easy joinery... is this dowel jig really an improvement over these options, or just another way of skinning the same cat? I'm all for having alternatives, as not everything works best all the time, but given the option of coughing up $200+ for the DowelMax or trying to do some fairly precise machining for the home-brew model... I'm not feeling too overly tempted. Although the *challenge* of making the DIY version is attractive...
                          All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by milanuk
                            is this dowel jig really an improvement over these options, or just another way of skinning the same cat? I'm all for having alternatives, as not everything works best all the time, but given the option of coughing up $200+ for the DowelMax or trying to do some fairly precise machining for the home-brew model... I'm not feeling too overly tempted. Although the *challenge* of making the DIY version is attractive...
                            I don't think any one joinery method is a "one-size-fits-all" solution. I like my Porter Cable 557. I also like pocket screws. I also do mortise and tenon, on occasion.

My attempt to make a better doweling jig is simply to have another tool in my arsenal. There are times when a dowel is a great way to go, but I just didn't want to spend DowelMax $$$.

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have used other dowel jigs, and I own the DowelMax. There's no comparison.

When it comes to utter dependability for absolute accuracy, I have not seen anything match the Dowelmax, it stands by its own. Having studied it very closely, I believe the secret is it's precise machining. The distance of both the end-dowels from their closest edges is exactly the same; the distance from one dowel to it's neighbor is exactly the same as any other contiguous pair. It's in-built clamping is always consistent, and completely self-sufficient - you don't need any other clamps, holds, or even a third hand.

I find using the Dowelmax easier than the Kreg Pocket-hole jig (I don't have a biscuit joiner), and it's joint's strength has always beaten my expectations. If my garage lights up in fire, it might be the only tool I might grab and run .

That said, if I had the machining skills of Cgallery, I might not need the Dowelmax. Further, if I had read his post above two years ago, I'd have given building his jig a serious shot. $10 vs $240 !!??! Enough said.

I owe my Dowelmax to an inspired gift from the LOML - I had spoken about it casually in a wistful tone, knowing I'd never buy it; and I had done something nice for her brother's family that touched her to the point of tears. Otherwise I might have not got around to acquiring it myself.

So for all my ardent devotion to Dowelmax, I'm very happy to see CGallery's success with his shop-made solution, and think others should try it too.
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...