Woodcraft.com

BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Around the coffee pot

Around the coffee pot This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

cabinetman is on a distinguished road
How Reliable Is Snopes.Com?

Here is an interesting thread from another forum.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 AM

smorris is on a distinguished road
I found it interesting that they seemed to think the husband/wife team home business was news. I thought everyone knew about snopes and it founders years ago.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

cgallery is on a distinguished road
Some of the political snopes.com postings make it plainly obvious that they are not unbiased.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Just me

leehljp is on a distinguished road
Over here in Japan some years ago, I saw on the news of one famous American who took a trip to another country, made a speech claiming things he had done. I laughed and knew better. My sister and BIL from the same state as the famous person saw the gaffe on their news too because of course it made news in that state. The Snopes has always maintained and slanted the news as being inaccurate because he never said that in any speech in the US.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
The Full Monte

Uncle Cracker will become famous soon enough
According to snopes.com, snopes.com is completely accurate and legit. Therefore, it must be so...
Old 12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

herb fellows is on a distinguished road
Political leanings aside, I have found them to be very accurate when I have investigated what they have said. 9 times out of 10, I'm chasinig down a virus type rumor there, but I have found them to be accurate in that regard.
Just my 2 cents, as they say.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
The Full Monte

Ed62 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cracker View Post
According to snopes.com, snopes.com is completely accurate and legit. Therefore, it must be so...
I just checked that out. They claim they never said that.

Ed

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Needs More Clamps

tfischer is on a distinguished road
Whoever wrote that article was a complete idiot. All you have to do is go to the Snopes site and they tell you exactly who they are.

But most of the "research" comes from the Snopes forums... I used to actively participate there -- people would quickly get to the bottom of most any rumor. Then all David or Barbara would have to do is make a few phone calls or emails to verify, and post it.

Not sure why this is so scandalous... They actively tell you to check your own facts, and they always give references. They even started some "fake" legends, with the disclaimer that they were fake in the references, just to prove that you should never take anyone's word, including theirs, as gospel...

It also really irks me when someone gives a single example of why they think something is biased. And for the record, I lean quite conservative, so I'm not just "sticking up for the liberals"...

-Tim

Edit by Hank: Tim, Many apologies to you. I meant to respond to this and accidently hit "edit" rather than "reply with quote" - which buttons are next to each other. Thanks to Alex, I was able to re-store the post.

Last edited by leehljp; 12-08-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Internet Fact Checker

LCHIEN will become famous soon enoughLCHIEN will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to LCHIEN Send a message via Yahoo to LCHIEN
I checked and Snopes said that Cabinetman may or may not be real. He's listed as "unconfirmed".
Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Alex Franke is on a distinguished road
I've found it a pretty good resource. Besides, I'm not sure they ever tried to hide who they are... From their site:

Oh, and I wouldn't consider Wikipedia the "tell all final word" either. Who's to stop someone from modifying some obscure Wikipedia article to say what they want it to say, then citing what they wrote as a reference?

Quote:
Q: Who creates the material for this site?

A: With very few exceptions, all of the material on this site is prepared by the same people who operate this site, Barbara and David Mikkelson.

Q: How do I know the information you've presented is accurate?

A: We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic, which is why our site's name indicates that it contains reference pages. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves.

Last edited by Alex Franke; 12-08-2008 at 04:52 PM.