BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Articles > Tool Reviews

Tool Reviews Got a new tool? Gloats are fun, but reviews are better. Go ahead and brag about that new toy but tell us all about it and how you like it.

Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Ryobi BGH616 6" Bench Grinder
A great grinder, at an even better price...
Published by dbhost
12-07-2008
Author review
Quality
80%80%80%
Value
100%100%100%
Documentation
80%80%80%
Overall Impression
80%80%80%
Average 85%

I've been eyeballing the Ryobi BGH616 for a while as my old Ace Hardware 6" grinder has been making some funny noises, and the shop built tool rests on it were simply not doing the job...

I needed a grinder for various sharpening, and metals dressing tasks in the shop, and had been reading the professional comparions between bench grinders from bigger name brands such as Delta, Grizzly, Jet, DeWalt and others. And feature for feature, the field was reduced to 2 candidates, the Delta GR275, and the Ryobi BGH616. I specifically wanted a 6" grinder, in all honesty because I have a mess of grinder wheels left over from the old Ace Hardware grinder...

The Ryobi was chosen as the hands down winner due to its much lower cost.

The good.
#1. Low profile motor housing, grinding at a right angle to the motor, say sharpening a mower blade, is not only possible, but simple with this setup. (Yeah, I checked with an old blade.)
#2. Individual work lights over each wheel that pour light right onto the area you are working. The amount of light and aim of these thing so far has shown to be great. Very happy with this feature!
#3. Easily adjustable tool rests.
#4. Rubber isolation mounts to at least reduce the vibration transferred to the work bench.
#5. Magnifier lens / eye shield over the left tool rest. This really helps in getting a close up view of what you are working on!
#6. Soft start to the motor. The old Ace Hardware grinder kind of banged it's way up to almost instant speed, and took forever to stop once turned off. This grinder spins up smoothly and spins down quickly.

The Bad.
#1. 2.1 amp motor. Not exactly a power house. However there is plenty of power on tap for any grinding tasks I have thrown at it so far.
#2. I bought mine on a Black Friday door buster sale, and it appears that Ryobi rushed a bunch of these through production at the last minute, the paint on the base wasn't even completely dry. I am hoping that this is the only quality control issue that I have with this.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase, time will tell how happy...
By dbhost on 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I just wanted to update this review. In the time that I have had the BGH-616, I have used it for a variety of sharpening tasks, and for most things it has worked very well, and I am not at all displeased with it. The built in lights are a true stroke of brilliance. I am however a bit concerned with the size of the grinder itself. I am setting up a turning tool grinding station, and have the OneWay Wolverine jig and VariGrind attachment for it. OneWay calls for a full speed 8" bench grinder, saying the 6" is too slow. I am not so sure of that... I am concerned with how various lathe tools are going to line up from the V rest to a 6" wheel though...

As happy as I am with this grinder though, I really don't want to lose its features... Unless I am talked out of a full speed grinder, I am seriously considering selling my BGH-616, and upgrading to its bigger brother, the BGH-827
By rollo on 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Member reviews
Quality
20%20%20%
Value
20%20%20%
Documentation
20%20%20%
Overall Impression
20%20%20%
Average 20%
I bought the ryobi 8" for my brother a few years ago for xmas. He uses it quite a bit and its held up like a champ. Ramps up to speed quickly and runs smooth after years of frequent use. The only thing I'd watch out for is if you use your grinder for putting hollow grinds on your chisels/plane blades, etc. I likthe 6" grind better, as it produces a deeper hollow that lasts longer thru several sharpenings. The 8" diameter gives a less-hollow grind that may have you re-grinding your tools more often, or resulting in longer sharpening sessions. For lawnmower blades, etc, the 8" is the way to go tho.
By LCHIEN on 03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
looks a lot like the BGH625 grinder i have, the main difference is the gooseneck light on mine vs the two individual lights on this one. I don't use it a lot but it seems to work fine when i need a grinder to clean up some cut-off screws, rods, metal pieces etc.
By dbhost on 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM
NOTE. Upgraded to the BGH-827

FWIW, I have sold off the BGH-616, and upgraded to a BGH-827. As happy with that as the 616, but with a much bigger stone. It ran smooth as butter until I swapped in some Norton white oxide stones. I need to true these up, but funds are a little tight. I will be adding a Geiger's Dressing tool to my arsenal, the crazy dressing tool costs almost twice what the grinder cost! I sure wish that Norton would have shipped the wheels true and round!
Comment