• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

I bit the bullet and tried it...

After reading some horror stories (and some success stories) I was a bit nervous and very cautious. I figured I had about a 50/50 chance of success. I chamfered the back edges of my end-grain cutting board before I started to help protect wood on the trailing edge from blowing out. Then, I placed it on the infeed table of my Ridgid 13" thickness planer and sneaked up on the wood about 1/256" at a time -- an eight revolution of the depth adjustment wheel.

It was a complete success. It took about a dozen tiny passes, but the planer handled it just fine. And it went a lot quicker than the router method -- especially since I don't have a jig for that anymore. And now it's dead flat -- a lot better than I could do with a belt sander.

BTW, I rounded over all the edges to clean up the chamfer.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • drunkcat
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Elgin IL
    • BTK

please post a picture?

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

Sure thing. The new one is in front, and the one I made a couple years ago for LOML is behind it. It's worth noting that the "old" one still pretty much looks like new, even though it gets a lot of use. End grain cutting boards can last a very long time.

It's 12" wide, 17" long, and 1.25" thick.

"Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

It looks awesome, nice job!
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Very very nice indeed Alex. When you chamfer the back edge, that makes one face slightly wider than the other. When you run it through the planer, is the wide face up or down?
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
            Very very nice indeed Alex. When you chamfer the back edge, that makes one face slightly wider than the other. When you run it through the planer, is the wide face up or down?
            Thanks!

The chamfered face was facing up toward the knives. Because the planer knives were actually chopping against the grain (and the grain is only 1.25" long), I figured this would help hold the wood fibers together at the tail end of the board, and it worked very well.

The red line is where I knocked the edge down with about a 1/8" chamfer. The arrow shows feed direction. (Pardon the rough diagram ) Then I flipped it over and did the same. Later I rounded over the edges at the router table -- er, I mean the BT3k router table attachment -- which cut away my chamfer.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the picture. It's been a long day. I was thinking a beveled edge, not a chamfer and was trying to figure out how you were cleaning up a bevel with a roundover bit.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Beautiful board, Alex. I love the pattern.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• mschrank
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Hood River, OR, USA.
                  • BT3000

I've now made three of The Wood Whisperer's end-grain cutting boards. Each time, I've been tempted to run it through the planer. Sanding end-grain takes FOREVER and an hour, and still a few scratches remain (but hey, it's a cutting board, right?).

Now that you've tried it, I'll give it a go on the next one I make.

By the way, I highly recommend these for gifts. They really don't take long to make (other than the sanding ), and they are a real hit.

Nice job on those, by the way. I'll probably try a different pattern next time...maybe based on yours
                  Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Flatlander
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Illinois
                    • BT3100

I got one of my shop injuries trying this. I was attempting to do a single row of glued blocks. I put it into the planer, and it shot back at my hand. Very little bleeding, but I couldn't feel anything in my hand for about a half hour. There were pieces of blocks all over the shop. I must have been taking off too much, been too afraid to try again.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Flatlander
                      I got one of my shop injuries trying this. I was attempting to do a single row of glued blocks. I put it into the planer, and it shot back at my hand. Very little bleeding, but I couldn't feel anything in my hand for about a half hour. There were pieces of blocks all over the shop. I must have been taking off too much, been too afraid to try again.
                      Yeah, I've heard a few stories like that. I let the rollers grab the wood then get the heck out of the way -- just in case! I wonder if the size of the picke has something to do with it, too...

Comment

• tewilk
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Augusta, GA

Very Nice...

Comment

• Woodshark
                          Established Member
                          • May 2006
                          • Atlanta

I've made four end grain cutting boards and I sent then through the planer to flatten them with no problems except a little tear out at the edged. Like you, I just sneaked up on the depth and took off a whisper of thickness each time.

I'd rather send the cutting board through the planer 12 times than sand forever and get a wavy surface.
                          sigpic

Comment

• tribalwind
                            • Feb 2004
                            • long island, ny.

that's really nice, great job !

i think i want to try making a few. it'd be the perfect way to break in my new open ended drum sander/thicknesser , and also use up a bunch of hardwood scraps .
                            mostly just wanna make use of this sander though lol! i mostly bought it because it was incredibly discounted

what pattern did you go by for it?
                            namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• Alex Franke
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Chapel Hill, NC
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tribalwind
                              mostly just wanna make use of this sander though lol! i mostly bought it because it was incredibly discounted

what pattern did you go by for it?
                              I could just send you some stuff to sand, then you could send it back to me

I measured the boards, and (yes I'm a bit of a geek) wrote a little software application that would allow me to visualize the end results when I tweak the stock sizes and colors. When I found one that looked good, I just used those measurements.

I'll probably post that software if I get a chance to polish it up a bit... it's a little klunky right now.

Comment

Working...