• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Dust Collector "Stovepipe Mod"

A couple recent (and not so recent) threads have mentioned the "stovepipe mod" I made to my Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector. Although the mod shows up in the background of several photos I've posted, I've never presented it on its own.

So, here it is.

A lot of dust collectors, the HF 2HP DC included, use a piece of 5" flexible hose to connect the impeller housing to the bag inlet ring. Given all the concern about reducing restriction in these small- to mid-sized units, this is a prime place to easily pick up some almost-free performance be replacing the ribbed hose with smooth-walled metal pipe. In the case of my own unit, the modification was a near necessity owing to the hose having gradually developed a permanent kink that reduced its free area to perhaps 20% of what it should have been.

My "stovepipe mod" required a single two-foot length of 5" diameter stovepipe, two 5" adjustable ells, and perhaps half a roll of electrical tape to seal the seams. Total cost: under ten bucks. Total time to complete: maybe an hour, not counting the trip to Home Depot to fetch the materials. (NOTE: At least in my neck 'o the woods, HD carries stovepipe in the 5" size but Lowe's does not.) The mod can be done using a single ell; however, I used two in order to make the sweeping curve from the impeller outlet up to the bag ring inlet as long and as gradual as possible.

Obviously, should your particular DC use something other than a 5" hose for this connection, the same thing can be done using whatever size pipe is required.

I don't have any means of quantifying the improvement this made, other than to say it was "a whole bunch."
    Larry
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Good idea. I can see where this would make an improvement in the system.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

It definately should improve flow. I'd think a next logical step would be to raise the blower assembly and rotate it to be a short straight length of stove pipe.
      This is the way some of the smaller dust collectors are built to keep the flow rate up. I think this could really help the HF 2hp breath like some of the more expensive 2 hp collectors.
      Since I've already done the Wynn conversion it should take it that next step.
      I think I could use some 3/4" metal conduit to make an effective extension to raise the fan.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by maxparot
        It definately should improve flow. I'd think a next logical step would be to raise the blower assembly and rotate it to be a short straight length of stove pipe.
        This is the way some of the smaller dust collectors are built to keep the flow rate up. I think this could really help the HF 2hp breath like some of the more expensive 2 hp collectors.
        Since I've already done the Wynn conversion it should take it that next step.
        I think I could use some 3/4" metal conduit to make an effective extension to raise the fan.
        If you can bring yourself to build a stand for it, mount the impeller housing so the output dumps right into the inlet ring, sort of like a Delta 50-760, and mount a Trash can cyclone under that. I'd like to see that done!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Rich P
          Established Member
          • Apr 2003
          • Foresthill, CA, USA.
          • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

If you want to see the HFDC with the separator setup, check out this approach over at Sawmill Creek. Only problem is it is not mobile.

HDFC separator with baffle

I just ordered the Wynn filter to replace an American Filter top bag and will install the Thein baffle as well. If the filter clogs too frequently will try the above setup.
          Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by dbhost
            If you can bring yourself to build a stand for it, mount the impeller housing so the output dumps right into the inlet ring, sort of like a Delta 50-760, and mount a Trash can cyclone under that. I'd like to see that done!
            I did think of that and changing the impeller rotation axis for a separator underneath but without being sure the motor bearings could handle the change I decided it would be safer to just raise the motor and use a soft turn and hose for the separator.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Rich P
              If you want to see the HFDC with the separator setup, check out this approach over at Sawmill Creek. Only problem is it is not mobile.

HDFC separator with baffle

I just ordered the Wynn filter to replace an American Filter top bag and will install the Thein baffle as well. If the filter clogs too frequently will try the above setup.
              I'll have to pass on looking that one up. It requires you be registered to see any photos, and the dumb forum doesn't like ANY of the usernames I tried to give it, now I remember why I am not on Sawmill Creek...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Crash2510
                • Feb 2006
                • North Central Ohio

db the creek is not bad but your username has to be your real name.
                Phil In Ohio
                The basement woodworker

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Crash2510
                  db the creek is not bad but your username has to be your real name.
                  Huh?

Why?

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Dave: It's just one of their rules, the way their management wants it, like Sam's ban on politics and religion here on BT3Central.

Max: This spring, when it's warm enough to work in the shop but still too cool for glue-ups, I'm going to relocate my DC and re-route some of the piping. I am seriously considering moving the impeller unit up even with the inlet ring, as you describe, at the same time. Not sure about rolling the impeller horizontal; like you, I'm not sure that would make the motor bearings happy.
                    Larry

Comment

• Rich P
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                      • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Yeah, it peeved me too but I went ahead and joined and it was not painful. There are some good topics and info there. As my mom said, "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face". Attached is one image from the thread I referred to in my post here. Basically he has a trash can separator with a Thien baffle below the HF impeller housing.
                      Attached Files
                      Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

Working...