• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

JR's Shop Pics (long with pics)

This is a tale of unintended consequences.

I recently bought a Wide Belt Sander and a Lathe, neither of which would fit in my small shop easily. To add insult to injury, the WBS motor takes 220v only. So here's the logic sequence leading to a number of changes.
    1. I need a new layout to accomodate 10 lbs of woodworking tools in a 5 lb space.
    2. I need 220v in the shop, so I might as well wire the shop properly (or as close as I can come to "proper").
    3. Before installing the MC wiring I want to use, I should go ahead and paint white over the baby-diapers-brown walls and ceiling .
    4. I'll have to uninstall the DC plumbing to apply the paint. I need a fresh look at the plumbing anyway due to the new tools and layout.
    5. If I'm going to re-plumb the DC system, I may as well apply the larryg stove pipe mod.
    6. With all the wiring and painting going on I may as well install a new top on my wall bench.
    Without further ado, here's what I have:

The layout.

This perspective, from the NW corner near the overhead door, gives a view of most of the 12' x 20' shop, the third bay in my 3-car garage.

Panning to the left we see the BS and lathe located by the overhead door. The DC plumbing drops down between the overhead doors of the shop and garage, allowing both doors to operate without changing anything (with a limitation to be explained later). The idea here is that the lathe can be moved out of the way (using a mobile base that isn't built yet) to allow long stock to be cut on the TS by opening the overhead door. There's enough room on the outfeed side if I move the mobile cabinet housing the MS and OS/BS.

For a bit of perspective, we move to the opposite corner, near the man door, and look back.

And now the passageway to the man door from the garage, pic taken from the SW corner. This area has to remain clear for daily use, but provides working space for the MS, WBS and planer, which are all mobile.

The overhead looks like this. Obviously my DC plumbing has evolved over time, starting with 4" PVC and going to 4" S&D. Most everything is attached via the overhead system, except the tablesaw/router table setup, which has a direct connection down below. I have overhead DC drops for the SharkGuard/router fence as well as the OS/BS-miter saw combo.

I installed a dedicted switched circuit for lights with two quad outlets. I'm only using half the available outlets, with two 4' T-8s and two 4' T-12s flourescent fixtures. The magnetic-base lamp makes perfect task lighting for the assembly bench and/or OS/BS. The air cleaner, MS and OS/BS are attached to a quad outlet which is on a circuit supporting three more quore quad outlets located at the assy table, BS/lathe, and planer.

(The limitation to the overhead door use comes in here. The drop down to the SharkGuard inhibits the door from opening all the way. It goes far enough to allow long stock to be run through the TS, so I'm calling it good.)

The BS coonections for DC and elec.

The stove pipe mod. Note the pipe heading off to the table saw/router. The rolling cabinet with the OS/BS and MS is sort of the linchpin of the whole setup. This cabinet moves easily, enabling a variety of things to happen that would otherwise be very difficult to do. In this pic it is moved slightly out of the way, clearing room around the assy bench and storage shelf. When moved into the pasageway along the WBS and planer I can cut very long stock by opening the man door and extending the other way into the garage area. Similarly, it can move out of the way of the WBS and/or planer when they are deployed. It also stores a heckuva lot of tools and accessories.

The new WBS and planer on the south wall. I haven't finalized the flex hose lengths yet. I'll need to move the tools around a bit to see what's needed.

The jointer doesn't quite fit in its space, but is good enough. There is an electrical circut with a quad outlet, serving the bench strip and the jointer. The flex connection will be made after the WBS and planer connections are finalized.

The new electrical wiring enters the via two boxes located near the bench. The service panel is on the other side of the wall. All the 110v wiring is 12ga., with 20a breakers on the 110v tool circuits, 15a on the light circuit, and 10ga./30a on the 220v circuit.

The final view shows the wiring at the post near the assy bench. The top quad outlet is intended for hand tools - it's on the same circuit as the planer, MS, BS, etc. The lower box is served by two circuits - one for the DC, the other for the TS/router table.

Last edited by JR; 02-13-2009, 02:22 PM.
    JR
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

You have come up with a nice shop there!

I see from your band saw, that you have the same saw setup I do, and the same dust collection problem, even with a full blown DC instead of a shop vac... I don't recall who did it, but I recall seeing somebody taking that slightly under 2" connection and pitching it, and replacing it with what I think is the DC connection from a Ridgid BS1400. They said it is an improvement but isn't a cure all for dust collection on the band saw...

The first pic doesn't even look like that Ridgid sander gets used at all. Too clean, then I scrolled down, now that's a tool I recognize!

The jointer is definately in the wrong place for you there. How about swapping positions between the jointer and the planer / tool cabinet? BTW, Nice older Ridgid planer... Those are good machines!

I am not sure I fully understand how your DC runs were made. It looks like you ran straight up, went to a Tee right at the ceiling, and went each direction, and then you to sanitary tees to bend down for each drop. Did I get that right or am I off base?

Overall, it looks good. How is it working for you?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

You have a nice collection of tools that you have managed to get in a small space. After looking at the pictures several times I think a floor plan would help me see better just how it works. (It makes it easier when you don't have to park a car in you shop too. )

LOML has relatives in Thousand Oaks, I am glad to see that at least one real person lives there.

Bill, who hasn't decided if he has a shop in the middle of a messy garage or a garage around a messy shop

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
        Bill, who hasn't decided if he has a shop in the middle of a messy garage or a garage around a messy shop
        In my case, a messy garage around a messy shop!

LOML keeps asking me why I spend so much time cleaning the shop. I told her it's because I can never manage to finish cleaning it!

I am praying she does not throw the box my jointer came in away. I need it for storing empty beer bottles for home brewing. I want to get them in the attic until I need them...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
          After looking at the pictures several times I think a floor plan would help me see better just how it works. (It makes it easier when you don't have to park a car in you shop too. )
          Yeah, it took me a minute to figger out how to get it in viewable form (thanks, Keth!). See above.

JR
          JR

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Nice, JR. Very nice.

Ah, good, I see you left the UPC stickers on your stovepipe sections -- I may have failed to mention that that's one of the keys to top performance! We'll have to compare notes on the effectiveness of sealing the seams with white vs black tape.

Viewing your pictures reminds me of my previous shop, which was roughly comparable in size. At first glance the layout seems to make no sense, as in, "WHY is this tool here, and that tool there ...?!?" But when given a full walk-through and explanation, the logic becomes clear.
            Larry

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
              The jointer is definately in the wrong place for you there. How about swapping positions between the jointer and the planer / tool cabinet?
              A perfect solution! If only the planer would fit underneath the cabinet... Rats!

I am not sure I fully understand how your DC runs were made. It looks like you ran straight up, went to a Tee right at the ceiling, and went each direction, and then you to sanitary tees to bend down for each drop. Did I get that right or am I off base?
              I should have made a drawing of the DC plumbing. I think you've about got it. It goes up from the DC to a tee at the ceiling. The northbound leg serves the tablesaw and bandsaw.

The southbound leg tees again. One leg serves the planer and WBS. The other leg serves the MS drop and the jointer.

One thing to note is that, although the shop size is small, it's easy to get fairly long runs when you go up the ceiling and back down to the tools. I for sure didn't want any plumbing undrfoot, though. I'm getting pretty good suck out of it, so I'm happy.

JR
              Last edited by JR; 02-13-2009, 02:46 PM.
              JR

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Nice setup! All of a sudden I can see more room in my shop than I thought I had.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JR
                  A perfect solution! If only the planer would fit underneath the cabinet... Rats!
                  Guess you already thought of that huh?

There's always the reciprocating saw to take care of clearance issues...

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

There's always the reciprocating saw to take care of clearance issues...
                    If you take a close look at the storage area under the assembly bench you'll see that I've done just that in order to fit the mortiser under there! I am not too proud improvise and adapt!!

JR
                    JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
                      Yeah, it took me a minute to figger out how to get it in viewable form (thanks, Keth!). See above.

JR
                      Thanks, not at all confusing in the drawing.

Bill

Comment

• ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

Nice set up JR! I hope to be setting up my new shop this year. It is 11 x 22 so I can take some ideas from your layout. I have the same basic machinery.
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...