• Show
Clear All
  • pmichener1
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2009
    • Byesville, Ohio
    • BT3100

Building Wide Table Extension

I have an extra set of rails and plan to build a wide table extension with them. Is it worth the cost to purchase the wide table hardware pack (39.90) from ebay?

Seems like attaching to saw would be easier using these parts, but can they be purchased at the local hardware store?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

If you just have the rails, and not the connectors from the kit, trust me on this I did it, it is a PITA to make the connectors yourself. Plus you need to already have the T nuts and all...

The $39 whatever kit on ebay with the 4 bolts / Tee nuts per strap are WELL worth the investment, from what I have seen overbuilt compared to OEM...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Depends on which kit you are talking about. I think they are all worth the money.

Komatoast's connectors are supposed to be pretty good. I don't have his, but I've picked up a couple of the Ryobi leg kits and a wide table kit. After using the stock connectors and a shop built wood insert his stuff looks like it would be very solid. There's a fairly recent thread breaking down the costs of his 4 nut connectors (OEM has only two) showing it was a fair to good price. I've been intending on picking up a set myself, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. (I don't even need to pay for shipping)

I can't remember what all parts came with which kit now. One of them will provide you with brackets & nuts for attaching a table to the rails too.

If you haven't stopped by T-nuts.com yet, be sure to check them out. An assortment pack of nuts and studs is pretty nice to have on hand.
      Erik

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

You can certainly make the parts required, so it's just a question of what your time is worth to you and/or do you enjoy doing the work involved. The part that you're not going to find in the stores are the t-nuts These will come in the rail kit, or get them from t-nuts.com as mentioned.

I have the long rail kit, and used the provided attachment hardware. But, I recently cut those rails in half to make that half removable. To reattach, I made my own connector out of aluminum angle, and used a combination of Ryobi rectangular t-nuts and t-nuts that I got from t-nuts.com.

Note that one of the t-nuts on the back rail is larger than the other three required. If using Ryobi rectangular nuts, just rotate it 90 degrees. If using one from t-nuts.com, get the larger size.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• Sawatzky
          Established Member
          • Apr 2005
          • CA
          • Ridgid TS3650

I used some alluninum angle iron and some metal screws for mine and it worked great. I have since sold the saw otherwise I would post a picture. You can get the angle iron at HD for cheap.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

there are others who have cut hardwood the exact height of the inside of rail and slid it into the rails and thus no hardware needed.

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by pmichener1
              I have an extra set of rails and plan to build a wide table extension with them. Is it worth the cost to purchase the wide table hardware pack (39.90) from ebay?

Seems like attaching to saw would be easier using these parts, but can they be purchased at the local hardware store?
              I have gone both ways and, as mentioned in other posts, it depends on how much time you have and how much you like to tinker. In any case, four-hole units, like the ones by Komatoast, provide strong and quite rigid attachments. If you do make your own, use the four-hole method. If you decide to buy, my experience with Komatoast's products is excellent.

Also, don't forget to use support legs. The long rails will sag even with the strongest attachment hardware.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I bought the kit of rails and hardware several years ago and did not use the hardware. My solution is still in the articles section, I think. I think you can do far better than the hardware but for something that will work with a minimum of effort, the hardware could have a place.

Jim

Comment

• pmichener1
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2009
                  • Byesville, Ohio
                  • BT3100

thanks to everyone

Thanks for all the responses. I'm actually going to use them all. I've made a couple of items myself, but the kit has been very useful. The items not used on this project will come in handy at some point for other projects, especially the t nuts. Thanks again for the advice

pmichener

Comment

Working...