Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Craftsman Style Bed Diary

Introduction

I have been following Poolhound's BT Mobile Base Diary and really like the idea of "blogging" about the progress of projects. I figure it is a good way to keep me motivated since people will be following my progress. So... I hereby officially begin my biggest project to date, a Craftsman Style King Size Bed.

I am using the project outlined in the book Beds by Jeff Miller. It is the bed on the cover. The project description and cut list is for a queen size bed and I will be modifying it to be a king size. I have limited experience working from plans, I usually design my own projects and work mostly from "my head".

The author labels the bed Craftsman "style" since it does not strictly adhere to any particular Stickley design. I chose oak over cherry due to cost, and more specifically red oak over white oak purely based on personal preference.

It feels good to be back in the shop again. I have already had a blast with the planning and calculating stage. Next up: the lumber purchase.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Sam,

Glad you like my post. I know in the past there were a lot of articles written about projects like this and I just thought it would be easier to document things as I went along and I hope it will provide some useful ideas for others who are considering a similar project.

I hadnt really thought of it as a blog but I guess you are right. Maybe we will start a trend.

I look forward to seeing the progress of your project.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Cool looking forward to it.

I do like the ongoing progress project posts, especially assembly and unique cutting solutions. Sarge's basswood chest post was another good one fairly recently.
      Erik

Comment

• rnelson0
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
        • Firestorm FS2500TS

I know in the past there were a lot of articles written about projects like this and I just thought it would be easier to document things as I went along and I hope it will provide some useful ideas for others who are considering a similar project.
        It is a good idea. I have tried it in the past, but inevitably I lose track of the camera and just carry on. I imagine that would make it a lot more boring to try and follow it

Comment

Working...