• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AcornMan
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Topeka, KS.

SawStop - Wave of the future?

Several months ago I heard rumblings about new technology that will stop a saw blade almost instantanseously the moment it comes into contact with human flesh. Then yesterday NPR did an excellent story on this very subject. It turns out it's a company called SawStop, and it apparently works just as advertised. Unfortunately they've completely failed to get even a single saw manufacturer to use this technology, so now they offer a couple saws of their own. They're quite expensive, but when looking at the features they look like very good saws, especially the cabinet saw. One thing I noticed was the inclusion of a European-style riving knife on the cabinet saw model. Both models they offer also have a blade shroud dust collection system. Now where have I seen those nifty features before?

Anyway, you can access the NPR story here:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4182602

SawStop also has their own web site:
    http://www.sawstop.com/home.htm
  • dedaddy
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Dallastown, PA, USA.
    • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

There is another video demo and article on this at http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00165.asp
    Lee
    =============
    I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• cbustapeck
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2004
      • Cleveland Heights, Ohio, USA.

I love the idea. Having spent $2000 cutting a quarter inch off the end of my thumb with my BT3100, the extra cost of the SawStop seems quite worthwhile. I'd pay $200 or $300 to retrofit my BT3100 with such a system. Therein lies the problem, I think.

There's a lot to be said for a company with a history of making tools and who is likely going to be around for a while. It is nice to know that you'll continue to be able to get accessories and parts for your saw, something that is always a question when buying from a new company. Also, I just like the design of the BT3100 more, for my needs. I need a saw that is compact and that comes with a router table.

I wonder if it would be possible for the SawStop people to retrofit other manufacturers saws, or if liability issues prevent that.

All that said, I think that in general, the design of both of the saws is excellent. I like the looks of the huge power switches, and the large handle on the fence. Everything seems to be well placed. But it is just sooo expensive. For what it costs, I'd want a saw that would be modified to exactly what I want.

I'm curious as to how much of the cost is the cost of the saw is the blade brake system, and how much is just due to the low production numbers.

I'm sure in 12 years when the patent expires, that everyone will be using this. I hope.

Comment

• andrew.r.w
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Canada.

Hard to put a value on the finger or hand you might cut off. As a guitar player, pianist, woodworker, cyclist, and writer I think you'd look back on your life (sitting there with one hand) thinking "I wish I'd bought hat sawstop thing instead of all those bottles of rum."

Yeah, I'd buy one.

Andrew

Comment

• WEG
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Nahant, MA.

I looked at that "hotdog" video and it sure impressed me! And I know darn right well IF I ever cut my finger off or worse my hand, I will kick my butt for not spending the extra bucks because I was a cheap so and so and as careful as I could be, and "it won't happen to me anyway..." or just procrastinated about doing it. Boy, it's a real dilemna I and probably many others find ourselves in over this one... I know Lee has commented on this saw and I respect his opinion, but even being as careful as you can, using all the best safety equipment, there is still the chance you can have a real bad accident with any saw. And that doesn't even consider others using my saw, like one of my kids, and having an accident... Saying all that, I still haven't ordered one and probably won't because they just cost so darn much money! It's the old story of "What I want I can't afford, and what I can afford I don't want..." except for the BT3100! I have two!!! Still, if I get the right scratch ticket or some rich aunt dies and leaves me a bundle, I think I will get one of those SawStop things...the big one!
          Be Safe Folks...and let's make sure we share those "stupid" things we do with our power tools.
          WEG

Comment

• wassaw998
            • Jul 2004
            • Atlanta, GA, USA.

There is another current thread with this topic :

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=15408

Chris

Comment

Working...