• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Prefered Rust Protection

What is your prefered substance for rust protection on power tools and hand tools?

I don't like using oil too much, but some things will get a light rub of 3 in 1; Mostly C-Clamps and other threaded items. It's still a dust magnet.

I used Boeshield T-9 on my drill press & jointer. I really like it. The drill press looks just like it did over 14 months ago. I've used some paste wax on the jointer since then.

I've been using paste wax on my chisels & planes.

My shop isn't climate controlled, only some OSB, shingles, and some T1-11 siding are protecting things. Rust can really develop quickly.
    Erik
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

My shop is made the from the same materials. A friend gave me a benchtop jointer that rusted immediately after putting it out there. I put three coats of liquid car wax followed by three coats of paste wax. No rust for a couple of months now.
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by drillman88
      My shop is made the from the same materials. A friend gave me a benchtop jointer that rusted immediately after putting it out there. I put three coats of liquid car wax followed by three coats of paste wax. No rust for a couple of months now.
      Boeshield T9 works pretty well for me, that plus Johnson's paste wax.

Using car wax is supposedly problematic, it has silicone which if it gets on the wood can cause finishing problems. The three coats of paste wax afterwards probably fixed that for you, but i intend never to use car wax anywhere near my shop equipment.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-05-2009, 10:54 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Another product that I have found amazing are these Woderbar Rust Erasers I got from Garrett Wade this week. I tried 'em out on a couple rusty things and they really worked well. I was impressed with them.
        Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Bostik TopCote then a layer or two of Johnson's Paste Wax.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

CorrosionX. Spray it on, wipe it off and use the cloth to wipe other tools. You can wax over it if you want it to. Unlike oil it drys and does not come off on the wood or your hands. I use it on the top of the BT3000 (where I live Al corrodes) and for all my hand tools

Bill.

The bottle said 'Makes things look new again, so I sprayed the wife down with it'

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
              Another product that I have found amazing are these Woderbar Rust Erasers I got from Garrett Wade this week. I tried 'em out on a couple rusty things and they really worked well. I was impressed with them.
              Got pics? I'm still fighting rust on the column of my drill press....

On all my cast iron that I got new, and a good amount of my aluminum, I use several good coats of Johnson's Paste Wax.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
                I didn't take any photos, but I might have some this weekend if I decide to tackle an old Capewell plane (I'll probably put it off for a rainy day though). I tried the fine eraser on a slightly rusted chisel and a round part on my jointer that didn't get waxed. It literally erased the rust with just a few passes. I haven't tried them on something really rusty though.
                Erik

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I initially coat with the T-9 then wipe it off and use Johnson's paste wax. I do use the dust erasers from Highland Hardware (WW now... I'm old school). I apply a fres coat on average about ever 3-4 days in summer and once every two weeks in winter.

My preferred rust protection is black granite like I have on my jointer fence but I guess that isn't what you really ask.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I also use T-9, followed paste wax once the T-9 is dry....~ every 6 months works fairly well.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Rust, whats rust?

Come live here in the desert we aint got no rust

I do apply TopCote and JPW to my table surfaces but primarily as general protection and to make them nice and slick
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
                        I didn't even pay attention to the package. The erasers are Sandflex made by Klingspor. I wish I ran across these way before. They work much faster than steel wool or sandpaper. Here's some comparison shots and I only spent a couple minutes on each:
                        Attached Files
                        Erik

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Highland Woodworking also sells them and I have been using them for years. They are made by Klingspors as Pelligrini mentioned and may be a bit cheaper on their web-site. They are not dirt cheap but... considering they work as opposed to money I have thrown out the window on products that don't or dis-color the metal.... probably worth the few extra dollars in the long haul.

BTW.. DP columns are the biggest pain in the hinny to keep from rusting in the shop IMO. I let mine go pretty much and then clean it about every six months. A never ending battle and one the rust is winning in my case. I'm not lazy but I hate cleaning a DP column for whatever reason.

Comment

Working...