• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wannabee
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • USA,FL

Multifunction Tool..which one

I am looking to purchase a multifunction tool for occasional use and I see they have..Bosch,Rockwell,Dremel,Fein and Harborfreight...has anyone used any of these and what are your thoughts on them....or are they more of a sales gimmick...I have read the post on the harborfreight one so far...thank you
  • tjr
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • at the falls of the Ohio
    • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

I've got the HF one, for the few things I've done with it I've been happy. It's quite heavy - not sure if the other brands are as heavy, having not picked any up .

One idea might be to invest the $32 in an HF and see if you find enough potential uses to go with a more expensive one and probably sell the used HF tool for $15-20.

One question for those who have 'em: I need to add a drop outlet to a gutter. Don't have a nibbling tool, would my multifunction tool be able to do the job better than a saber saw? Or roto-zip?

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have the Fein and have had it for 9 years. It is way overpriced (IMO) in terms of home user (which I am), but I needed it for some things that a Rotozip could not do, and I did get more than my moneys worth even at its steep price. (LOML said "No Dust", so that meant that I could afford it.)

That said, I am glad to see the competition, if for nothing else, but to bring this kind of tool to the home user.

The Fein, as a tool company, speaks for itself . . . and charges accordingly. If you were a private individual contractor working in million dollar homes, I would recommend going with the Fein; otherwise, one of the other. Also, if you have the money and want the best in the field - again Fein. If these others were available when I got mine, I would have gone with one of the other brands.

My need was to get the job done and the tool's very design and purpose accomplishes that more so than the brand itself.

The Multimaster, for me, does to flush cuts, straight and precise wall outlet cuts even into 2x4s, grout removal (all without flying dust) so much better over a rotozip and sawzall - the way that an cordless impact driver does better than a cordless drill driver in driving screws. That much difference.
      Last edited by leehljp; 07-27-2009, 11:20 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• docrowan
        • Mar 2007
        • New Albany, MS
        • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
        The Multimaster, for me, does to flush cuts, straight and precise wall outlet cuts even into 2x4s, grout removal (all without flying dust) so much better over a rotozip and sawzall - the way that an cordless impact driver does better than a cordless drill driver in driving screws. That much difference.
        My rotozip clone makes me mad every time I pull it out, yet I can't bear to throw it away and I give it another chance about every two years. I guess that's how long my short term memory is. I have a use for it soon and this thread reminded me how much I hate that thing. I may wind up picking up the HF and trying it out on this project. Thanks for the thread wannabe.
        - Chris.

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I have the HF -- well worth the $30 IMHO for occasional use. I've used it a number of times. There are some jobs it's just perfect for.
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I have the Fein. As Hank says, it's overpriced for the casual user, but this thing does everything advertised and asked of it, and will still be alive long after I'm gone. That said, I think you'd do well to steer clear of the HF, and maybe opt for the Rockwell or something in that price/quality range.

Comment

• wannabee
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2007
              • USA,FL

I have heard on the fein and the hf...anyone try the rockwell with all the attachments or the bosch cordless(they must not make a corded in the usa)..thank you

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

The Rockwell is considered the most rugged of the name brand multi-tools. If you want cordless, and you have a bunch of the Bosch 12V tools, the Bosch isn't a bad one. However, I have the HF version, and having looked at all of the other non-Fein brands via store displays, the HF seems more havy-duty than them all. The internals may not be as heavy-duty, however... but we'll see what happens.

For $35 or so, I really can't see how you go wrong with the HF. And if you do use it so much you break it, then you obviously use it enough to throw down $200+ for the Rockwell package or twice that for the Fein...

Comment

• docrowan
                  • Mar 2007
                  • New Albany, MS
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                  For $35 or so, I really can't see how you go wrong with the HF. And if you do use it so much you break it, then you obviously use it enough to throw down $200+ for the Rockwell package or twice that for the Fein...
                  To me, what you've just described is the perfect place HF tools have in a homeowner/hobbyist shop. I can only get some project/shop time less than 50 days a year. With this kind of usage most tools will last a very long time.
                  - Chris.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

There was a link in one of the prior discussions, to a reveiw about these (later updated, I believe, to include the HF one). It stated the Bosch, lasted about 8 minutes on a charge. The way I read it, the best bang for the buck at the time, was the Rockwell.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I had the Dremel multi-max for about 6 months and it was a waste of money.
                      • The grip is too small so you either cover the air vents and it overheats or the palm of your hand changes the speed every time you move
                      • The blade mount washer is separate from the bolt so if you hold it rightside up, you can'y see what you're doing when changing blades, or if you hold it upside down, the washer drops into the place of the blade and you have to try to slip it underneath.
                      • It did work passably as a detail sander but didn't save much if any time over hand sanding
                      • The ads say it will cut an oak door jamb, but a hard maple one was too much for it. Dremel replaced it, I ebayed it.
                      Chr's

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Conway, SC.
                        • BT3000

Fein

I also own and use often the Fein Multipurpose tool. I have used all the different attachment blades for various jobs and can honestly say this is the best tool I have ever owned. It can replace half a dozen other tools in your shop. Wish I had bought it 10 years ago.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• wannabee
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2007
                          • USA,FL

thank you for all your help in sorting this out for me....I think I will look into the harborfreight and the rockwell...thanks again

Comment

• vaking
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100-1

blades for multimaster

I want to expand this topic a little bit. What blades do you use with your tool, from what manufacturer and do you find quality comparable between manufacturers?
                            I have a tile removal job ahead of me. Fein has a set of blades for tiling.
                            http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...campaign=V9123
                            HF has some blades similar but a lot cheaper. Do you find quality acceptable or comparable? Carbide rasp I found only by Fein or Craftsman with Craftsman being significantly cheaper.
                            Alex V

Comment

• Tom Slick
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                              • sears BT3 clone

take a look here for blade alternatives

http://multiblades.com/
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...