• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Trashcan Separator

Before I scored on the Delta 1HP DC from Lowes, I was going to build this with 2-1/2in fittings for my shopvac. So now, its the same result, just with larger fittings!

Standard separator concept, incorporates the Thien baffle - but lowered to 4.5inches from the upper lid, mostly to accommodate the larger fittings. Used 3" PVC drain fittings - which are held in place (incredibly well) by healthy beads of Liquid Nails above and below the lid.

Being new to this separator concept, I am amazed at how well it works - all shavings trapped, and most of the dust - only a small amount of fines getting to the DC.

This separator, built on the metal can pictured, followed experiments with a plastic trashcan with my shopvac (pictured at bottom, worth a look & a laugh ) I used a shopvac wand to create a "cyclonic" side-entry intake , which worked surprising well - caught most of the chips and dust (but was obviously not built to last.) I thought about trying this side-entry concept with the DC and metal can, but didn't care (at this time) to invest the labor to produce a chamber with side-entry intake and Thien baffle that would sit above the can.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

You might find that it would work even better if the elbow was a true 90-degrees, and if the elbow was aligned with the beginning of the larger portion of the baffle, rather than its end.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Bill,

Phil beat me to it, but I figured since he is the inventor of the baffle, he might be a bit more credible on this...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Originally posted by cgallery
        You might find that it would work even better if the elbow was a true 90-degrees, and if the elbow was aligned with the beginning of the larger portion of the baffle, rather than its end.
        Good eye. The picture shows how I originally mounted the baffle before remounting it "correctly" I thought I'd try my own experiment with the placement of the baffle dust opening. When I had it "mismounted", it worked ok, but disturbed enough of the material below the baffle to annoy me because shavings were staying down, but some dust was not, so now its aligned as prescribed by the expert. Now works so well that only the REALLY fine dust gets to my DC - the kind like talc, seems you could add a binding agent and make your own filler.

About the 90dg elbow - I specifically wanted to avoid that, concerned about further impeding airflow, and the 45dg elbow is working awesome.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...