• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Refurb/restore Jack plane?

I found a box in the basement, that had an old Bailey No. 5 Jack plane in it. I have no idea where it came from! My knowledge of planes is very limited, so I need a little help.

The expectation is that I likely won't put in the time/energy to restore the plane to original condition. It is much more likely that I would put the time in to get it in good working condition. The plane is 14" long, and 2 3/8" wide. I took a few pics of it, and it looks to be in worse shape than it actually is. The rust doesn't look that bad, when viewing the plane itself. The sole is not perfectly flat, so I know that needs to be taken care of. But I don't know the best way to take care of the rest of it. So I need someone to sing the Beetles song, "I want to hold your hand".
    [ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Ed
    Attached Files
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

If it is complete and there are no cracks in the castings then it is not in bad shape. Looks like my No.5 did when I got it and it did not take long to get it in good working condition. There are TONS of resources that can be found with Google to get you started. I would go into more detail but I am in NC on vacation right now and if I spend much time on the computer LOML is going to get cranky.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It looks to be a type 13 to me (1925 - 1928). It looks a bit rough but intact from what I can tell. It should be well worth restoring. I refurbed a 1918 Bedrock 605 last year that came out pretty well. Mine was fairly rusty so I sprayed it down with rust remover, wire brushed it, flattened it with some 150 grit sandpaper, sanded down the wood handles, put on a couple of coats of enamal, and sharpened it...basically just a couple of hours of elbow grease. It came out OK.

Yours should make a great user!

Helpful site

Here's my type 13 Bailey 5-1/4:
      Last edited by Knottscott; 10-11-2009, 12:00 PM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Thanks for the replies, and the link. I'll check it out.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Check here for the best process to remove/neutralize rust. IO used the same process to clean my 8" jointer.

The album goes into full rehab with Japaning but you could also tape off the machined areas and use black enamel.

What you have will make a great user plane.

My preference for the knob and tote is wiping on several coats of 1 1/2# cut clear shellac.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

You might check out the EvapO-rust product. I picked up a gallon from HF a while back and today was the first time I used it. It has worked wonders on a bit brace and a try square. They were rusted more then your #5. It got the light rust on my chisels and bits for the brace off in no time.
            Erik

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Thanks again for the additional replies.

Don, how long does it normally take for the electrolysis to work? I'm sure the time varies, but just a ball park estimate for a not too badly rusted plane. Your results are absolutely stunning!

Ed

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Ed, the #7 I documented was in about the shape yours appears to be in. If memory serves me right, it spent about 3-4 hours in the bath.

Make sure the positive lead from the battery charger to the anode is out of the solution. The process will eat away at the anode and the thin metal of the clip doesn't last long. (DAMHIKT) I welded my anodes together, but a piece wire screwed to the metal will work just as well. The negative lead is safe and will come out clean.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

One more question, Don. I've seen electrolysis mentioned before, but I don't remember them putting any type of powder or anything on the rusted piece. Is that necessary? And if so, would baking soda work, by itself? Thanks for the answer. I kind of expected the process to take maybe a couple of days.

Ed

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                    Check here for the best process to remove/neutralize rust.
                    I also like the electolysis method for removing rust. It's probably the best method for preserving original detail, and does not "overwork" if left in the bath longer than necessary.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get the mini-dozer body in a tank without going broke, I'd be all set ;-)
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

I'm going to try electolysis on a #7 I got off ebay a couple days ago.

Below are the results of the evapo-rust product. The bit brace was just as bad as that plane. I let them soak overnight last night. A little work with a brass brush was all the elbow grease used.
                      Attached Files
                      Erik

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Ed62
                        One more question, Don. I've seen electrolysis mentioned before, but I don't remember them putting any type of powder or anything on the rusted piece. Is that necessary? And if so, would baking soda work, by itself? Thanks for the answer. I kind of expected the process to take maybe a couple of days.

Ed
                        The key ingrediant is sodium carbonate disolved in the water. I bought it in the pool chemicals section at Lowe's. I would have to look at the can to be sure which, but either PH increasor or decreaser one is 100% sodium carbonate but for a one time job it is also the active ingredient in Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, and cheaper to buy. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

When I picked up mine, I looked at them and the first one was surface (not pitted) rust. Green scotchbright pads, WD40 and gloves were what I used. (more elbow grease then some of the other methods)
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by Pappy
                            The key ingrediant is sodium carbonate disolved in the water. I bought it in the pool chemicals section at Lowe's. I would have to look at the can to be sure which, but either PH increasor or decreaser one is 100% sodium carbonate but for a one time job it is also the active ingredient in Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, and cheaper to buy. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.
                            OK. Thanks again for the help. It looks like I'll be giving it a try in the near future.

Ed

Comment

• ironhat
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Ed62

Ed
                              I'm guessing that there are different formulas Ed. This one recommends washing soda which is borax, if I recall correctly, available in grocery stores. I've been wanting to try this.
                              Blessings,
                              Chiz

Comment

Working...