• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have a 'new' bandsaw!

I bought the bandsaw I mentioned in the other thread - for all of $150 !

I know, it's a discontinued model, and there are pieces missing, but from what I've read of it, and that it is in excellent condition, I am happy with it.

A very funny buying experience - a new bandsaw sitting in the garage unused - and not even fully assembled - for some years. The guy has a garage full of Grizzly stuff and then got ill. His nephew attempted to assemble this bandsaw 2 years ago, but gave up before setting the table on. I turned it on and found it worked smoothly and quietly. By comparing with the parts list I found that the whole fence is missing, and the bracket to attach the table to the saw is missing. The garage is a huge mess now because his wife died recently and he moved in with his daughter. Both she and I tried to search for the missing pieces but had to give up. she promised that since all the garage is being cleaned up this month, if she finds anything she'll call me. Not holding my breath for that.

She didn't even argue when i dropped her asking by $50.

I don't really care about the fence, but checked with Grizzly : the bracket and etc will cost me $29. The fence replacement will cost me higher, but do you agree I could do better looking elsewhere for better, cheaper? maybe shopbuilt?

Very clean and new looking.

Year : 2002

Some TLC needed here.

I want to verify that the assembly was good; am thinking I could start by visiting some grizzly shop floor (woodcraft?) and seeing how the blade-guide-thingamajig is supposed to sit; this (above) looks too close for comfort.

And yes, might as well order another blade, right? It has a 1/2" now, so maybe a 3/16"? And do you think I need a spare or two? Do blades break often?

Observe that it is on the HF dolly for now. Need a mobile base too.
    Last edited by radhak; 11-14-2009, 09:02 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

You got a nice looking machine for a super price - even if you do have to buy a few parts. I would probably add a third party fence to it.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I don't know about a better and cheaper fence, but there are some outstanding aftermarket BS fence setups (Kreg makes a good one, for instance). Which one would be best for you would depend on how you will be using your saw, but it makes good sense to use the cash you saved on the saw to get a good fence, suited to the work you will do. Then you'll be in high cotton for some time to come.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Geez, I thought I got all the good deals, That,s a steal, Congrats

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

very clean looking machine. good luck with it. grizzly has better than average customer service, so completing it shouldn't be difficult. topsaver and a course scotch brite pad will do wonders for the CI table. once cleaned, 2-3 coats of paste wax will help both its performance and keep rust at bay. the blade guide shown is missing the guide blocks. iturra design sells rollers that replace guide blocks (they appear to slide right into the existing guide block bracket) and you might want to consider those as part of the completion exercise. do a search for lou ittura for his tel no. he doesn't have a website. when you find him, he is a wealth of information. there are few individuals who know more about band saws than lou iturra. get your next blade there adn you'll also get one of his catalogs. the catalog is like a primmer on band saws.

lastly, under no circumstances, attempt to adjust the 4 bolts, and the 4special bolts in which they sit, that hold the lower wheel bearing in place. my 18" jet BS (a $35 CL find) has the same configuration and i unwittingly attempted to correct a blade looping problem by adjusting the lower wheel. after 7 weeks of fruitless attempts at alignment, the saw is at a jet dealer for adjustment. best of luck with the new saw.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

It sounds to me like you need to get a book on bandsaws. In fact, you needed the book before shopping, but my way-back machine is down for maintenance now!

Seriously, there are two books which are fequently mentioned. One is by Bird and the other by Duginske. They will teach you how to align the blade guides, what the blade options are for, fence adjustments, etc.

Nice buy.

JR
            JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

you got a nice deal. The Kreg fence is nice.
              http://www.kregtool.com/products/pms...?PRODUCT_ID=38

I like the resaw attachment and the microadjuster, which make it really nice.

Woodpeckers has this on sale currently.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-14-2009, 01:48 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

from your last picture the thrust bearing is what it is.
                The normal positioning is that the bearing face (not the edge) should support the back of the blade when the blade is cutting. It should be a few thousandsths (.004" or a dollar bill thickness) behind a free running non-cutting blade. The bearing should be set to the right of its current position so that the blade, if contacting the bearing while cutting, is between the center and the edge of the bearing face but closer to the edge.

There of course should be some cool blocks below the bearing in the holders that support the blade for sideways deflection.

The whole housing shown should be set so the blocks are just behind the teeth and then the forward position of the thrust bearing should be adjusted by loosening the set screw and pushing the shaft forwards or backwards.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks guys for the help. But of course it will be either better or cheaper fence !

That Kreg is very tempting. Hmmm, wonder who's Christmas list could support that...?

Good info, toolguy, thanks. And no worries - I ain't gonna mess with bolts I don't know about !

JR, you reminded me to hunt my own bookshelves and guess what, I already have Duginske! Not that I ever read it - was supposed to be for 'when I get a BS'. Now's the time.

Loring - as always, you are precise. You made me re-evaluate my 'missing parts list' before I place the order with Grizzly. And the chap on the line gave me a moment of worry when he said the table-bracket was 'discontinued' and I might need a 'work-around'. I said another rep had told me she had one to ship just a day before, and he comes back with - oh, we do have one last piece! But overall a nice experience with Grizzly.

Now I have to just hurry up and wait before I use my new baby...
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

You got a nice saw there. UC had a good suggestion to check out alternative fences. Just a few suggestions to add to the others. Periodically check the blade tension, and lower the top guide very close to the work.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

good suggestion about a band saw book. buy any one except one by mark duginske. i have his book and it isn't particularly well written, the illustrations leave something to be desired and it doesn't really address the finer points of tuning up and using band saws.
                      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

I think you'll find that the missing parts are roller guide blocks. I have an almost identical Grizz b/saw just a few years younger than 02 model. Great saw and for the amount you payed; just two words: YOU SUCK! Check their web site and you'll see just what a bye you got. I would get ay least a 10tpi 3/8, one 4 or 6 tpi 1/4 and maybe a 1/2 blade. I love my saw, it resaws great and after 2 years have yet to break a blade. Only point is they are kind of fussy to change blades but what the heck, a small price to pay for a good b/saw.
                        RuffSawn
                        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Congrats! Very nice saw - you're gonna like it
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...