• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

The Jawhorse

Has anyone seen this on t.v.? I thought it looked really awesome until I realized, how in the world are you going to get that sheet of drywall up on the ceiling and on top of that brace solo, as shown in the video, lol

still, it looks like an awesome aide...

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK900...9114184&sr=1-1
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • Al R.
    Established Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Florida.
    • Delta 36-600

Originally posted by chopnhack
    Has anyone seen this on t.v.? I thought it looked really awesome until I realized, how in the world are you going to get that sheet of drywall up on the ceiling and on top of that brace solo, as shown in the video, lol

still, it looks like an awesome aide...

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK900...9114184&sr=1-1
    Chopnhack I have the Jawhorse with its attachments (you have to buy them separately). I think that's one of the most versatile things I ever bought. It is a good investment according to my experience because to begin with you can take it wherever you want, and has an amazing clamping force for its length.
    "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases"....it happens the same with a big shop.

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

It looks like a modern update of the shaving horse with modern materials & engineering. & much more versatile. It's a new product though so the price now seems rather high. I expect after Christmas we will start seeing the price start to drop significantly..

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

When I saw that on TV I thought it was pretty cool. Reminded me of the Workmate a little bit. The foot adjuster can be very handy. I was thinking that needing a clamping device on the job, like for doing entry and passage doors it would be pretty handy. For that kind of stuff I've been using the Zyliss vice, which I bought in the 70's.

Comment

• 180x
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • North Augusta, SC
          • Craftsman 21829

I have one and love it. I got it over a year ago (off ebay) and wouldn't trade it. It can help get so many things accomplished easier.
          Dwayne

Comment

• iceman61
            • Oct 2007
            • West TN
            • Bosch 4100-09

I saw one of these at my local Lowes. I can't recall the exact price but do remember it was over a hundred bucks.

Comment

• Al R.
              Established Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Florida.
              • Delta 36-600

Originally posted by phi1l
              It looks like a modern update of the shaving horse with modern materials & engineering. & much more versatile. It's a new product though so the price now seems rather high. I expect after Christmas we will start seeing the price start to drop significantly..
              Telling you the truth, after using it for around 5 months, I believe that it is worth the money, what I think is that (as everything now) they rip you with the attachments, and there is where you end up paying much. If they sold it, let’s say: 280 dollars with all the attachments included that was fair and a good deal.

But fairness is not a common thing in this world, much less when related with money ($$$). I read all the excuses always the companies make in order to justify the extortion toward the common citizen and all is pure official-legal delinquency; same with government-taxes, etc. They are not even serious and responsible enough to let participate their workers (they make them rich anyway) in reality (not in theory) of the huge earning of the business.

Look how almost every product is today done with the intention that you must periodically buy spare parts from them, or attachments, or it is done to trash it in a couple of months and you need to buy another one, or is accompanied by a lengthy speech about tradition and nationalistic ideals (which is good if they were not a trap to get into your wallet)...or…or….it will be endless.

Sadly it is all about money, and that is why from politics to business all is going from one extreme to the other…common-sense-ground is lost.
              "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases"....it happens the same with a big shop.

Comment

• MikeO
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • Niceville, FL, USA.

I've been thinking about buying a jawhorse for a while now, and after seeing this thread and researching it some more I decided to go for it. For anyone interested, I think I found a pretty good deal.

Drugstore.com - $179.99 w/ free shipping.
                +Bing 10% cashback
                +ShopDiscover 10% cashback
                Total = ~$144

That's on the contingency that both cashback offers go through.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

why is this better than a good B&D workmate?
                  The workmate has a bigger foot print with four feet - more stable than a smaller footprinnt with only three feet.
                  The workmate has two clamp handles, less total power but you can clamp to non-parallel items. 2200 lbs is a lot of force, esp. for wooden items.
                  The workmate would seem to be a lot cheaper and you don't need more parts.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phi1l
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Madison, WI

I have never actually used a jawhorse, but I have to workmates, one of them 35 years old. I have made numerous jigs, fixtures & modifications to extend their capabilities. about the only things I see where the jawhorse might have an advantage is that you can hold the work piece with both hands while clamping with the foot lever. ( Of course you need that because of the minimal work platform). And, .... it has a little wheel on one end to make it a bit easier to schlep it around. Also it "looks" a bit more substantial then the chintzy looking newer workmates.

I think the jawhorse might appear more to a carpenter, & the workmate more to a woodworker.

Comment

• annunaki
                      • Jan 2008
                      • White Springs, Florida
                      • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

This is a "Johnny Come Lately". The first was Triton

I have the Triton Superjaws and like it very much.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...nsuperjaws.htm
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I, too, have used the Workmate for 30+ years and can say I use it on almost every project. Great tool.
                        Richard
                        Richard

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                          • Aug 2007
                          • Minneapolis, MN
                          • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by phi1l
                          Can't help it! The Jawhorse reminds me of a song we learned in grade school.

"Ist Das nicht ein Schnitzelbank?"

"Ja das Ist eine Schnitzelbank!"

We spent a week memorizing the song, but they never explained its function!

When I saw one in a local historical museum recently I started singing the darn song. The tour guide joined in and then showed everyone how it worked.

BTW, the head that's operated by the foot pedal is called the "dummkopf" or 'dumb head', really funny for a 4th grader.

Sorry for the trip down memory lane.
                          Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 11-25-2009, 10:45 PM.
                          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• annunaki
                            • Jan 2008
                            • White Springs, Florida
                            • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                              • Aug 2007
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by annunaki
                              How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

You win!
                              You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

Working...