• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

HVLP Discount

In today's newspaper a HF flier had a super coupon for this spray gun, for $19.99. Sounds like a good deal. Anyone have this gun, and if so how do you like it?
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

CM:

I'm probably the least qualified to evaluate this gun ...

Yes, I have the 90977 HF spray gun. I bought it because the specs show that it requires less air than the other HF HVLP guns. I use it with my HF 94667 3HP 21gal compressor rated at 4.9 SCFM @ 90 PSI and 7 SCFM @ 40 PSI. I stop when I can to let the compressor catch up.

It has done everything that I have asked of it. I've only shot oil based paints through it. Shoots a clean pattern. Good adjustments. The head painter that worked on our remodel watched me using it one day and then bought one.

It disassembles and cleans up easily. Good fit and finish.

I paid about $40 for mine mail order which was the lowest that I had seen it at the time. Don't think you can go wrong for $19.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
      Yes, I have the 90977 HF spray gun. I bought it because the specs show that it requires less air than the other HF HVLP guns. I use it with my HF 94667 3HP 21gal compressor rated at 4.9 SCFM @ 90 PSI and 7 SCFM @ 40 PSI. I stop when I can to let the compressor catch up.

- Lonnie

Thanks for the reply. What airline PSI from the compressor to the gun were you running? Is there a different PSI adjustment on the gun for the fluid? IOW, is the only PSI adjustment you make to the air done with the gauge on the handle?

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

Here is a link to the manual for the gun. It shows the air and fluid adjustments available.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...0999/90977.pdf.

I paint outside. I run the compressor at about 90-100PSI through 3/8" hose for 25 feet. Then connect to a filter/regulator (similar to this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98904) and set it at the max inlet pressure for the gun of 50PSI. I run another 25 feet to the gun. I set the regulator on gun at about 25PSI. Then fine tune with air adjustment valve on the gun. I step down the presssure because my compressor can't push enough air if I set it at the recommended pressure of 29PSI.

I'm a dumb novice at spray painting. I use some basic references, then twist knobs until something happens that I can live with. So take my HVLP gun advice with a grain of salt!

- Lonnie

EDIT:
        You may have seen this thread on WoodNet re: HF guns and the #90977 ...
        http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...lapsed&sb=5&o=
        Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM. Reason: info on WoodNet

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
          I run the compressor at about 90-100PSI through 3/8" hose for 25 feet. Then connect to a filter/regulator (similar to this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98904) and set it at the max inlet pressure for the gun of 50PSI. I run another 25 feet to the gun. I set the regulator on gun at about 25PSI. Then fine tune with air adjustment valve on the gun. I step down the presssure because my compressor can't push enough air if I set it at the recommended pressure of 29PSI.

- Lonnie
          A few questions. Are you using the plastic cup or did you also get the stainless steel one? Have you had any problems spraying upside down? Your length and connections of airline run is just fine...the longer the run...the cooler the air. But, did you provide for any inline drains along the way or from the last airline to the gun? One of those disposable bulb filters that screw on the gun works pretty good.

I saw this ad for a gun at Amazon. It sure looks the same.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

I use the plastic cup.

I haven't tried shooting upside down. Since it's a gravity feed gun, I keep the cup upright. I keep it fairly full if I am spraying an area that requires me to tilt the gun.

The filter/regulator - 25' from the gun - states that it dries the air (?). However, I have never gotten any water from its drain after using. I don't use a moisture filter at the gun, but it would be good insurance. Never had evidence of water in the painted surface. I've only shot oil based paint -- no lacquer.

- Lonnie

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Santa Clarita Calif.
              • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

I have used this gun extensively for several years and it is very simple to use with little practice. I recently sprayed 4 cabinet doors with white vinyl (my first time using vinyl) and it performed excellently. I paid $50 for my gun and I love it.

Comment

• unknown poster
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006

Cabinetman, is there any chance you can post a scan of that ad? I've been waiting for a good deal on a decent HF sprayer but I can't find the coupon you mentioned.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by unknown poster
                  Cabinetman, is there any chance you can post a scan of that ad? I've been waiting for a good deal on a decent HF sprayer but I can't find the coupon you mentioned.

This flier was an insert to our Sunday paper. The small print says in essence...clip coupon...no electronic reproduction. Also notice the lot # may be different, but that's nothing new. Maybe they will honor a copy, just cry a lot and tell them you didn't buy a paper because you were saving for the spray gun.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• unknown poster
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2006

Thanks. I had found ads for the 66222 for as low as $15. I couldn't find an ad for the 90977 that the OP mentioned. In doing some research it looks like many of these paint guns are the same, with no clear logic on why identical tools have different item numbers. Maybe I'll give the 66222 a try.

Comment

Working...