Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Prototype of Don Draper's chair

My wife and I just plowed through the first 2 seasons of Mad Men. I am
    really taken by the Danish Modern furniture styles presented in the show. I'm
    a big fan of furniture from that era. I have especially been drooling over Don
    Draper's office chair. I have also been wanting to build a chair as my next
    challenge. I want to enter the chair into the county fair come August.

I found several views of the chair designed by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard
    Nielsen and decided to build a prototype. Using digital calipers and by
    studying a similar chair I own, I made measurements and scaled them to
    lifesize.

Construction was under 3 hours with just regular 1x and 2x stock and drywall
    screws and pocket screws. The 1x3s and 2x4s are actually pretty close to
    the final dimensions already.

In the seat is a picture of the chair that is inspiring this build. I wanted to
    build the prototype so I can have all the angles and wood lengths just right
    before I started on good wood.

The chair I own feels small and sits pretty low to the ground. I'm over 6' so
    I wanted something that sat higher. The top of the chair back was also too
    low for long sitting comfort. The prototype and the Mad Men chair have a
    higher back which feels better to me. I still might make it a little bit taller.

I should have measured the back angle from my own chair. Instead I
    estimated it from the picture. My angle is too shallow and I feel too reclined
    in the chair. Good thing this is only a prototype. It's pretty comfortable
    already, though.

The finished chair will have turned legs, bent laminated arms, and a bent
    laminated back with built in lumbar support--like the original. I also have to
    weave the seat and back from cane and make a cushion for the seat.

This project will certainly be a challenge. I'll try to post progress pics along
    the way. I plan to construct it from flat stock using loose mortise and
    tenon, then remove the legs to shape them round. Weaving will be last.

If you have any insight to share, please do so. I want to win that blue
    ribbon.

Thanks for looking,
    Paul
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You are off to a good start. Prototype looks good, and very close in specs. I found with doing chairs, to draw a full size pattern, for each view. Side, back, and front. For really involved configurations a top and/or a bottom view might be needed.

With the drawing, each piece can be sized and the joinery figured out. The parts will fit right on the drawing. It can be helpful to plan the sequence of assembly. It's also beneficial if more than one piece is to be made.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

You did well to get to a prototype so quickly, from which the angles can be refined. Excellent start!

I would also plan to practice the joinery using "junk" wood. That chair uses simpler joinery than the Maloof chair I've been toying with, but it will still be challenging to get it to fit right at the correct angles. Maloof kind of eyeballs the holes for the back supports - really fascinating.

Speaking of Maloof's technique, he does something with the arms that's cool, although the videos and pictures I've seen have all admonished that it is very dangeraous. He takes a fairly thick piece of stock, say 8/4 by about 3 or 3.5", flips it sideways, then manhandles it through the bandsaw. His arm rests have a very sculpted look, acheived by changing the vertical angle as well as curving the piece through the BS. If you're brave enough to try it, you might get something interesting out of it.

I'm am especially unskilled with the lathe, and have found that making the legs is a real challenge. I'll send you a PM with my latest failed attempt - no public posting of that thing!

Have fun!

JR
      JR

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Great start, that should be fun. After, you will HAVE TO build the matching hutch, complete with whiskey and scotch, of course.

That is such a great show. The only problem is, I think I have developed lung cancer just by watching it.
        Joe

Comment

Working...