• Show
Clear All
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

multi function tool

I just went to HF to see this, as everyone here has given it high marks. It was $39, but right next to it they had one for $59.
    It seems this is a variable speed model, with 10k-20k oscillation range? I'm not sure how something that starts at 10k qualifies as variable speed.....The guy said they only had it for a month or so, so I'm assuming you all are talking about the 'old' one? The only other difference I could discern was the case.
    Anybody have any insight into the new one? Do you think multiple speeds is of use?
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • Photojosh
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Washington (the state)

Any comments you've read on the multi tool here or other places is probably the old version. the variable speed one is pretty new.

Comment

• parnelli
      • Aug 2004
      • bt3100

I'm not sure I can think of why the variable would be that much better.... maybe if it toned it down from super loud to just loud?

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

Well, I guess if you're in tight quarters and you want to sneak up on something maybe..
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Maybe the slower speed would be better for delicate applications. The single speed vibration does give your hand a decent buzz.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

VS would seem to be better on sanding and grout removal more than anything else. Full speed ahead is not always the best in these. I needed to replace tile in a kitchen remodel 8 years ago. One wall section in which I placed tile that did not have it before was very smooth. I used a VS sander on slow and it roughed up the wall much better than fast would have.

I have the Fein and it is VS. Most of the time I kept it on "Fast". I found the VS options on tools to be advantageous, but at what price is reasonable to make it worth it to you?

When I have a choice, I usually go for VS.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• phi1l
              • Oct 2009
              • Madison, WI

ya, I would think you would use high most of the time unlessthe blade has some weird resonance at that speed that makes it hard to control, or the high speed starts burning the wood.

Comment

• geopilot
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Lexington, KY, USA.

I compared these in the store last week. The variable speed model is a little bigger and heavier, with a 2A motor. The old one (fixed speed) is rated at 1.6A. The variable speed model comes with a case to hold the tool and various accessories/blades if that matters to you. Have not purchased either.

Comment

• herb fellows
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • New York City
                  • bt3100

Ok, more power, I didn't notice that. I think the blade selection was the same.

Comment

• just started
                    • Mar 2008
                    • suburban Philly

Like Hank, I have a Fein. I use the VS with the contour sanders mostly as it is a little more controllable that way.

Comment

Working...