• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

New Craftsman hybrid saw w/ riving knife $362 plus tax

If you missed my previous thread on the darkside search, I missed out on the R4511 clearance and was looking for the next best thing. Sears has quite a deal on their 21833 hybrid saw. I guess you would call it a hybrid - the motor is under the left side of the table instead of the right side like most of the other hybrids. List price is $549, currently on sale for $449. Use coupon code "Anextjump25300" for $25 off, and there is another 15% off (it was automatically deducted when I purchased online for store pickup). Total was $362 plus tax.

If you look at my thread above there was some discussion about the pros and cons of this saw. I won't argue them all here again, I'll just mention some of them for reference:

The good:
    -Hybrid layout
    -110 or 220V operation
    -Tool-less riving knife
    -Mobile base (though somewhat primitive)

The bad:
    -Stamped steel extension wings (not a big deal if you're going to replace them anyway like I will)
    -Difficult assembly reported on many reviews
    -There were several complaints about the fence, though I thought it was really ok when I saw it in person
    -Some complaints about fit and finish, mostly related to the stamped wings IIRC

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but for the features I think it is a very good deal. I bought online and picked up at my local store tonight.
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

congrats on the purchase. i've seen that saw many times at the local sears and always thought it looked good. the substantial bar on the right side of the rails that kept them from collapsing when the fence is engaged is a nice touch. your comments during assembly should be informative. it's going to be a great tool because tools that are the result of a great deal always work better than tools purhcased for full price.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Nice deal! Congrats. I wonder if the Bing Cashback would also apply...
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Congratulations! Looks like a nice saw and a good price.

Jim

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Charlie
          I guess what I have alot of trouble with is that you had a chance at a lightly used quality American made classic table saw with a great fence. Instead you go and buy a Import with known serious quality control issues and a less than desirable fence for a little more cost then the lightly used saw. Yeah I know, it has the Riving knife, and it's left tilt, both new sales gimmicks in my opinion. Oh, and the motor in the cabinet, big deal. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm geting real tired of import junk and not haveing a job. I'm not just picking on Craftsman, even the well known companies that had their start in this country have crossed the border and the lack in quality shows. So, when anyones cheap import tool takes a turn for the worse and your out of a job and can't afford to fix it, I don't want to hear about it. You got what you payed for. Further more, I don't blame the manufacturers overseas for less than par machinery, I blame management that orders that kind of crap while they profit insanely, and put us out of jobs. People in this country really need to wake up. These companies don't suport us, and we have no obligation to suport them. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Congrats on the new saw.
          Unlike Charlie, I think the single most important feature (import or not) is the riving knife. Certainly not a gimmick. If I were in the market for a new saw, that would be my very first necessity. Whether it is made on Mars by Martians or the outback by marsupials to me would be irrelevant if it met all my needs and came in at a price point that I could afford. Buying American is one thing, but basing that on the purchase of a used saw is simply uninformed.
          That will not save any jobs. Won't create any either.
          Charlie, this is not the place to try and teach your form of economics. For starters, it is against the rules because it has more to do with politics than it does woodworking. Your point is clear. Lets ease up with the negativity. The rest of the thread should be about the saw, not the global economy.
          Lee

Comment

• dewi1219
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Birmingham, AL

I understand and respect Charlie's point. Since politics are off-limits here that's all I will say.

OTOH, Sears emailed me a $10 e-gift card this morning as a thank you. If this keeps up the saw will be free

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

That is a nice looking saw for the price and features. I like them. Congratulations and keep us informed on the assembly!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Charlie
                LOL, the Riveing knife, a brilliant sales tactic it seems. If a splitter was that important to me I'd put the one on that came with my American made table saw, or even buy the overpriced Biesemeyer removeable splitter way before I'd purchase an import table saw because it comes with a Riveing knife. It's not just economics, it's common sense, is woodworking machinery related, and it's called Freedom of Speach, or did we sell out our rights to that to China also ?

It is freedom of speech to a point. You are free to speak your mind here, as long as it is within bounds. I am not saying that you broke any rule yet, just that discussion of the root of the evil world against American workers would lead us there. It seems like this venue is a public forum.
                It is really, but you have to abide by the rules you looked over and agreed to when you became a member. In truth, this is a privately owned forum.
                Sam Conder is the owner's name. It is his to do with as he pleases.
                It is up to each of us to post in a manner that he has asked of us.
                So, Freedom of speech? Yeah, to a point.

On the riving knife subject, I have done a lot of research on this personally. You don't have to take my work for it though. They are much more than a gimmick for sales and even some American manufacturers are developing them. Some are already selling them. Made in USA?
                Doubtful, but Delta has a new one. It is at least partially made here or perhaps assembled here.
                Not sure there.
                Lee

Comment

• Spuds
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2007

Of course since the Riving knife is now mandated by UL all saws are going to have them, I forget which year is the change over is mandatory but its soon.

Overall interesting looking saw, always hard to tell how its built from a web page so let us know how it goes for you.
                  Search for Woodworking Bargains
                  More Woodworking Bargains

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

A riving knife is not new really. They have been around a long time. They have been designed on BT's since the early 90's.
                    The reason no one cared about splitters for so long is that the ones made for the saws were so awkward both in use and to install or remove. Those typical older designs had not changed since between the WW's. Antiquated technology if you can even call it that.
                    Recent splitter designs are a bit better, but some were still using that same lame design even last year.
                    Now to get a saw UL listed, it has to have a riving knife. They are as much a gimmick as seat belts. They are safer period. The main reason is that they are in place when needed. A well designed one never really has to be removed. Easy safety is a plus in any playbook.
                    Lee

Comment

• natausch
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Aurora, IL
                      • BT3000 - 15A

Congrats and dang, forgot to post about Sears bing cash, they're at 8% right now, and while technically you can't use it with coupons the worst that can happen is you enter through the bing site then get the refund refused.

Still a great deal on a non-benchtop saw. What I'd love is for Ridgid to re-release the R4511 with a cast top, probably won't happen though.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

I wish we could respect other people's choice without being crass!
                        Last edited by leehljp; 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM. Reason: In the best interest of the community!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Charlie
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2009

Yeah Sty, years ago I had a Delta Motorized table saw, it had a cast iron top, the motor was inside the cabinet and the arbor was drivein with a small poly cogged belt. By todays lose standards on Hybrid table saws I could call that saw a Hybrid table saw. As far as a Riveing knife goes, I don't think that they are the 100% cure. How many people will use a thin kerf Riveing knife with a full kerf blade because they don't want to pay extra for the full kerf riveing knife ? I can understand your drive to keep them popular.
                          Last edited by Charlie; 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• dewi1219
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Birmingham, AL

I regret ever starting this thread now...my apologies to all of BT3central.

I think I am experiencing "poster's remorse"

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by dewi1219
                              I regret ever starting this thread now...my apologies to all of BT3central.

I think I am experiencing "poster's remorse"
                              That's unfortunate. You have a nice, new saw and you should be happy!

Good luck and have fun.

JR
                              JR

Comment

Working...