Visit Rockler.com - Woodworking Superstore!

BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Around the coffee pot

Around the coffee pot This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

chopnhack is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone ever heard of 1800BunkBeds

They were advertising on a postcard that comes in a packet with other woodworking related ads that I am sure some of you get. What an interesting business premise. I looked into it and got to speak with the owner briefly but was promptly put off and mostly left believing that its a marketing scam. Has anyone else heard of this program or has experience with it? If you want to read more on it there at http://www.1800bunkbed.com/ I asked the owner about the territory I was interested in, specifically how long the previous owner held it and what his sales were like and he said that he hadn't the slightest clue. So I asked him how much of his profits were from marketing this program and he actually told me 100% and that he personally hadn't made a bed in years. He said that he manages this and three other companies and simply doesn't have the time to build them anymore! LOL, at that point the red flags were going up! Let me know what the collective knows about this please.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
The Full Monte

Uncle Cracker will become famous soon enough
I'd be worried about the reference to "bunk"...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Norm in Fujino is on a distinguished road
They apparently have an A+ rating with BBB. One of their local proprietors has this website with photos and prices. You can also google 1800bunkbed and find more sites.

Even if it works as a company, tho, I'd personally get awfully bored making that simple style of bed.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Norm, I hadn't seen that propietors website, but I did read about the BBB report, however, lately I really don't trust them too much
Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Norm in Fujino is on a distinguished road
Another thing to consider is the fact that although they give you an "exclusive" terrirory via area codes, some of the individual proprietor websites offer to ship nationwide, thus effectively negating any exclusive rights to your "area."
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Good point, another proprietor in a neighboring area code could deliver and assemble in your "backyard". The nationwide shipping would be less of a concern due to the weight and size therefore the cost involved. Plus, the customer would then have to assemble themselves.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM
The Full Monte

Ed62 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino View Post
They apparently have an A+ rating with BBB.
I'm not saying anything at all negative about them, but I'd take the rating with a grain of salt. I personally know of an instance where the owner of a business was offered an A+ rating if he would join the Better Business Bureau, for a $400.00 fee. So great marks don't make an impression on me. I think very low marks might be a more accurate indication on how a business operates.

Ed

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
Old 02-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

herb fellows is on a distinguished road
Exactly what Ed said. A good rating on BBB could simply mean they haven't been caught yet, whereas a bad rating tells you they have been.
If the guy that's marketing the program cant tell you what the sales in that territory are, then he's not marketing, he's fishing.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 PM

L. D. Jeffries is on a distinguished road
Guess that offer is like the one I've seen "to build outdoor furniture in your spare time"! Sure looks and sounds like a scam to me.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Forum Newbie

Que is on a distinguished road
1800bunkbed validity

I jumped on the bandwagon, it is a legal business. And the reason the owner you called and talked to did not know what the sales were in 'that' area....
he has nothing to do with it, its "your" business, he is just supplying you with the plans and know how and other things that are needed to get started in the business. I my self had ALOT of potential customers hitting my website from out of my area. I contacted the office wanting a list of 'employees'(more or less) that were around me, so I could direct inquiries their way. They would not give me such information. Not sure why, but thats the way it was. So now I have to say, if the person in an area is not advertising to be able to be contacted....
I will not turn down a sale. I live in Wayne county, Ohio.... And I drive to Walmart in Medina county?....is that wrong? I put forth ALOT of effort to promote my business, and its advertised as Wayne county....not "I'm in Wayne county and if your not your out of luck!" If I knew who was in a specific area I would give the customer the option to contact them.
But yes it is valid...
Closed Thread