BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Around the coffee pot

Around the coffee pot This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Knottscott is on a distinguished road
When Did Car Batteries Get So Expensive?

While searching for a new battery for our 1998 Honda Civic, I couldn't help but notice that the prices seemed to have jumped by 35% or more in the past few years. Gone are the $55 and $60 deals, and most start in the $80 range. That Civic takes a battery that's barely a step up from a motorcycle battery...it should be cheap. It seems to me that I just bought a battery for our big Ford Econoline van 3 years ago for ~$65. Did I miss something contributing to a sudden increase, or has it just been long enough that normal inflation is has pushed them farther than I realized?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Established Member

Woodwerker is on a distinguished road
The Price of Lead is outragous.
Thats the major cause. I pour my own lead for fishing weights, but was in Walmart last week. They were charging $1.20 for an 8oz fishing weight.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

tommyt654 is an unknown quantity at this point
Walmarts lead weights might be expensive, but their batterys are the lowest price I,ve found anywhere including most all of the auto parts stores, Got 2 new ones for the wifes and mines SUV,s for $120, not too bad and a pretty decent warranty to boot.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM

WayneJ is on a distinguished road
I just replaced the battery in my 2000 ranger pick up last december. That battery was still cranking good but it was ten years old and I thought I had gotten my moneys worth from it. The new one cost about $70 and had a three year replacement warrenty. The new one might outlast me.
Wayne
Old 03-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Established Member

aggrex is on a distinguished road
Costco's kirkland battery is reasonably priced and has a nice warranty. The self-service selection is not huge but the honda should be in the mix
Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the explanation and the leads gang. I can't even seem to locate batteries on the Walmart or Samsclub site....any links?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

cabinetman is on a distinguished road
Have you tried the auto parts stores (chains), like NAPA, Autozone, Discount, or even Sears?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Have you tried the auto parts stores (chains), like NAPA, Autozone, Discount, or even Sears?
Yep....$70+ for that little battery. I can get a 500CCA Prostart battery by Johnson Controls from Pep Boys for $73 + tax with core exchange, Diehard for $70+ tax and exchange, but I'd like to do better.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

cwsmith is on a distinguished road
I suspect that you have a battery that is not too common anymore. While I can't say I'm particularly knowledgeable about the specific size and requirements of you 12-yo Civic, I think "availability" has a lot to do with it. My 1995 Miata MX-5 takes a gel-cell, but other than the dealer they are hard to locate. Many companies make an equivalent lead-acid size, including Interstate, Autozone, etc. But I'm looking at $85 to $100 or more, depending on the source. I only drive this vehicle in the summer, for fun, so it was hard on batteries until I bought a maintenance charger to keep it up to par during those long garage periods.

Shop around and don't hesitate to ask "what's up" with the higher price.

CWS
Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Thumb nailer

dbhost is on a distinguished road
I got a top of the line Interstate about 6 months ago for $100.00 flat... A Walmart batter would have cost me $60.00 installed, but I like batteries I am familiar with...

Having said that, my Saturn has a Walmart battery that has lived through 3 Texas summers / winters so far... I may be willing to put one in the truck next time...