• Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Stanley Black & Decker selling Delta to TTY

Not sure how many people have seen this but the whole tool manufacturing industry becoming more and more convoluted

Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Turaj
    Not sure how many people have seen this but the whole tool manufacturing industry becoming more and more convoluted

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...+International

Its TOTY starting a new S. CArolina comany Delta PowerEquipment, a new company and the president will be the a senior vice president of Techtronic Industries Inc. owner of Ryobi
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That is big news. Thanks for posting this.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Interesting... and confusing too.

I didn't know Stanley Black and Decker owned Delta. I knew they owned "DeWalt", but I had no idea they also had acquired Delta and Porter-Cable. I was under the impression that Stanley Black and Decker was one company (fairly recently combined) and that Delta and Porter-Cable had recently combined. Both web sites talk about their individual combined operations (Stanley Black and Decker, and DeWalt) and (Delta and Porter-Cable), but I had no idea that they were somehow all joined into one single conglomerate. Guess I need to read more.

I wonder if "TOTY" is a typo though, as I can find no listing of that company anywhere. "TTI" is Techtronic Industries, which is based in Hong Kong and is the owner of Ryobi, Milwaukee, AEG, Homelite, Hoover, and Dirt Devil. It also manufacturers "Ridgid" brand power tools under a licensing agreement with Emerson Electric.

TTI also does business as "One World Technologies" and much like the "Ridgid" brand name, "Ryobi" is used by "One World Technologies" under a licensing agreement with Japan-based "Ryobi Limited" to use their trademark. (http://www.ryobi.com/ ) Actually "Ryobi Limited" is a fairly well known name in printing and aluminum casting technologies. It also has a line of power tools, but they bare little resemblance to the Ryobi-brand tools that I am familier with.

There is nothing mentioned on the TTI website about the Delta purchase (to date anyway), but that's not surprising. http://www.ttigroup.com/

What I do find a bit curious though is that the TTI Group website has no mention of the "Ridgid" brandname, even though it is the exclusive manufacturer of power tools under that brand. It does mention AEG for almost everything outside of North America, and the few pictures it shows of AEG tools, are "orange" and look very much like the "Ridgid" tools.

Hopefully TTI will keep whatever Delta manufacturing may exist here in the U.S. In my opinion, this might be a good match as the Ridgid table saw models seem to be missing the mark in it's last couple of releases. Perhaps with Delta's influence, they (Ridgid-brand) can get a design that will be as successful as the old Ridgid 3650-series.

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 01-08-2011, 02:03 AM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
          Interesting... and confusing too.

I wonder if "TOTY" is a typo though, as I can find no listing of that company anywhere. ...
          CWS
          TOTY see below link:

Tools, Power tools, woodworking, motors, AC/DC motors, aluminum casting, miter saw, scroll saw, band saw, radial arm saw, table saw, pneumatic tool, control board, bench top, cut off saw, lawn and garden, Craftsman, Ryobi, Black & Decker, Dewalt, bench power tools, tile saw, circular saw, fitness & recreation, chain saw, GDO, garage door openers, TOTY, consumer electronics, machinery, electric machinery, OEM, ODM
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Even more interesting...

So, after reading just about every page on the Chang Type Industrial Co. Ltd. site (TOTY.com), it appear that they are a supplier to TTI (which includes Ryobi, Milwaukee, and Ridgid), Stanley Black and Decker, DeWalt, and Sears Craftsman. It doesn't say that they supply all tools of course and I would presume that they provide only certain products and components.

What's not clear to me is any direct link/ownership between TTI and TOTY, although TTI Group NA, is headquartered in Anderson, SC and if TOTY is going there with a newly acquired "Delta", it does make one wonder if merger or joint venture is a probability.

I do find it rather amusing in that "DeWalt" is often cited in many forums by those of the opinion that DeWalt is the company of choice when one is opposed to buying "Made in China". But I think it also important to note that TOTY is a Taiwanese company. Though I'm not familiar enough with the geography to know exactly where all their manufacturing facilities are.

Thanks for the link. I find it intrigueing that as time goes by, the divisions between product sources are becoming less defined.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

• natausch
              Established Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Aurora, IL
              • BT3000 - 15A

Ridgid is actually a brand under Emerson and while their woodworking tools are manufactured under the OWT private label relationship. Since OWT is under the TTI umbrella they do utilize TOTY manufacturing, same as the Craftsman brand, Ryobi, and Mastercraft (Menards).

The biggest impact for users is in the warrenty, which is a fairly big deal. THe timing of the switch of manufacturing from Emerson to OWT is the same time as the change from Grey to Orange in Ridgid stationary tools. The good news though is that the molds and equipment were moved from Emerson to OWT; which means at least for the near future the quality hasn't decreased.

Emerson also uses Metabo for a handful of battery operated power tools (hammer drill, grinder, etc) and the Metabo relationship extends the other way as well.

The change in ownership does has one impact; Milwaukee and Delta are once again seperate corporate entities. Note that the Porter Cable line is not mentioned in the article; will be interesting if they seperate Delta and PC again.

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I think that this sale effectively does, as you say, separate Delta and Porter Cable now? As Porter Cable wasn't even mentioned it seems to me that Stanley still retains ownership of that company. I could be mistaken here but other than being under the same parent company's umbrella, I think that they always have been two separate companies.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sweensdv
                  I think that this sale effectively does, as you say, separate Delta and Porter Cable now? As Porter Cable wasn't even mentioned it seems to me that Stanley still retains ownership of that company. I could be mistaken here but other than being under the same parent company's umbrella, I think that they always have been two separate companies.
                  All the low end delta tools were rebranded Porter Cable in the last year it seems, to complicate matters.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I could be mistaken, but I believe Emerson started switching its manufacturing several years before the 2003 switch to the TTI "Orange Tools".

As I understood it, many of Emerson's "Ridgid" woodworking tools were being subcontracted to Taiwan in the 90's. I'm not sure exactly when that started, but like many other manufacturer's, the cost and environmental retrictions for domestic cast iron production started posing some very real as far back as the late 80's.

CWS

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      All the low end delta tools were rebranded Porter Cable in the last year it seems, to complicate matters.
                      I don't know as that complicates matters at all. At the time, the parent company just switched some tools from one brand to another. In certain cases, what was Delta was and is now Porter Cable. Pretty simple really.

Comment

Working...