• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Blank + Pen Kit = Slope

Here it is. The first. Puts me officially on the slope. Now if I could learn how to take better pictures...

Wood is unknown. If anyone can identify, I'd be interested to know - I've got about 11 more blanks worth. The blank under the pen is the same stuff as the pen. I bought it last weekend from a local turner who was having a garage sale, but we didn't have much time to discuss. I bought a bunch of other interesting blanks as well, not sure what they are either, except for some rosewood.

ANYway - kit is the Patriot from Rockler, in gold. Finish is the BLO/CA (also a first for me.) Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 01-26-2011, 01:13 AM. Reason: Added picture with better grain
    Bill in Buena Park
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Great looking first pen! The wood on the pen looks a little more like cocobolo but the blank looks a tad more like rosewood - that light streak. I generally find that rosewood has more of the lighter streaks with the dark than the cocobolo that I have had.
    Last edited by leehljp; 01-26-2011, 01:33 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Thanks Hank. My neighbor, the period furniture reproduction guy, also said it looked very similar to cocobolo (which I have not knowingly worked yet) - but he added that the blank seemed heavier than he expected for cocobolo. I think I'll try this wood in a Sierra next - but in gold or chrome? Not sure which would look better.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

To me, the dark red colors of cocobolo and rosewood look stunning with gold.

Since your neighbor said the blank seemed heavier than cocobolo, my next idea is desert ironwood. Desert ironwood comes in many colors but it is noticeably harder to turn without lots of experience, as it is generally much more brittle and hard. That said, cocobolo is not light weight. Rosewood can be heavy but it can be lighter weight too. Rosewood and cocobolo turn smooth as silk when you get experience and a feel to it. Often I have heard the expression that it turns "buttery" meaning with a "smooth feel", and I agree with that.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Thanks for the input on color; I'll try the gold.

Seems the stuff I bought that I was told is rosewood is not as heavy as this, which would fit your description; and I haven't turned the rosewood yet (but was told I should be careful of a bad reaction to it?)

This wood did turn very nicely, even to my novice touch. In roughing off the corners, there was no tearout or "ragged" appearance to the corners, and when rounded, was very smooth. Not sure if that is the wood's trait or if I finally learned how to sharpen my tools... But to describe the feel of it, I'd say that the wood "dissolved" into a very fine powder as I turned it - which reminded me to put on my respirator...
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Hey I think I was at that sale. I got there kind of late though so I probably missed you. There wasn't a huge selection of the exotic smaller stuff by the time I got there and the big stuff was out of my budget. I ended up just getting some ebony blanks.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

You are off to a great start there. I started down the slope about 15 years ago and am still sliding.
              A suggestion on kits, I like the Elegant Sierra in two tone copper from Bear Tooth Woods much better than the gold Sierra. Take a look at it, there are several in my photo album at the link below.
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Nice job. I might be looking to get on that slope if I can do it with my drill press. No room or plans for a lathe.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Nice job, Bill. I thought that was rosewood, too. Your choice of wood and pen kit/color proved to be very good too.

I started down here just a few months ago, and am enjoying it too. Have to take some pics and post.

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                  Nice job. I might be looking to get on that slope if I can do it with my drill press. No room or plans for a lathe.
                  I'm a newbie, but I cannot see that plan succeed. I feel turning (even pens) needs far more rigidity than the drill-press can provide. Recently I found my DP flex slightly even while drilling the hole in the pen-blank; wouldn't trust the column to stay straight after any sustained turning action.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

Nice work on the pen. Rosewoods cover a large variety but it was my first thought. Soon you will have to try other kits! I'll be at a wood show tomorrow so I'll be coming home with more kits of different styles.
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Buena Park, CA
                      • CM 21829

Thanks for the kind words. I do plan on trying the Sierra and a European, kits I have but haven't opened. I can see where this is habit forming. I'm already planning my next kit purchases. I've stockpiled about 80 blanks comprised of more than six varieties of wood I don't even recognize - but they're all hard and heavy, like the cocobolo. Stopped by the Rockler in Seattle Southcenter today (here on business, but squeezed it in), and believe their stock of cocobolo is identical to what I bought. One I'm dying to turn has the color of pecan shell, has wild greenish grain figure, and weighs like lignum vitae . Just might do that next.

Dick, I tried to view your albums, but couldn't - links on Picasa weren't working for me, not sure why.
                      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Whaler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Sequim, WA, USA.
                        • DW746

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                        Thanks for the kind words. I do plan on trying the Sierra and a European, kits I have but haven't opened. I can see where this is habit forming. I'm already planning my next kit purchases. I've stockpiled about 80 blanks comprised of more than six varieties of wood I don't even recognize - but they're all hard and heavy, like the cocobolo. Stopped by the Rockler in Seattle Southcenter today (here on business, but squeezed it in), and believe their stock of cocobolo is identical to what I bought. One I'm dying to turn has the color of pecan shell, has wild greenish grain figure, and weighs like lignum vitae . Just might do that next.

Dick, I tried to view your albums, but couldn't - links on Picasa weren't working for me, not sure why.
                        Bill, I don't know why you couldn't get in it works for me.
                        www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2
                        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

It's on my end - Picasa in general not working for me, probably some system setting - I'll have to figure it out.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...