• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Small router suggestions?

I'm thinking about getting a small router for hand-held work. My box making needs some decorative inlays to dress it up a bit, for which a small router is necessary (I have told myself...).

This Marvel unit is available from MLCS for $90, which seems a fair price for all that you get, including plunge, cut-out, and free-hand bases.

Does anyone have experience with this unit? Is there another one which provides better value or performance?

JR
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I don't have any experience with the Marvel brand, but I do have the Bosch PR20EVSK and am completely satisfied with it. The combination of light weight and soft start make for a very easy-to-use tool. I have used it for edge finishing and for cutting grooves, although groove cutting taking very small, incremental cuts to reach the desired depth. I believe it is a bit more costly than the Marvel.

Regards and good luck, Steve.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I've got a Colt w/ the installers kit. I like it when I use it, which isn't all that much as the majority of my bits are 1/2" shank. I just haven't gotten around to getting more 1/4" shank bits. I've heard very good reviews on the Dewalt too.

The features on the Marvel sounds good, great compared with the price. Don't know about quality though, no experience or even hear-say.
      Erik

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Another Bosch owner here ... the same installer's kit as Erik; had it about three years I guess. Nice little router, but there's no plunge base.

No experience with the Marvel. The similar Trend router (try Woodcraft) gets good reviews, as I recall, for roughly the same price. So I would think that the Marvel ought to be a decent value for the money. I've never bought anything from MLCS but I know that many here have, and that they're well regarded.
        Larry

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have seen negative comments about plunge base operation for that Marvel. I do not have it myself. People were saying good things about other bases but cursing at plunge. For edge operation plunge is not necessary but for inlays - who knows.
          Alex V

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I notice the Marvel doesn't have variable speed, whereas the Bosch and Ridgid both do. I'm not sure this is a showstopper as I'd be using very small bits only, but 30,000 rpm is pretty darn fast.

If the plunge mechanism is hinky, that would be a real downer. It seems to both plunge and tilt, which may the source of the problem - trying to do too much, perhaps?

JR
            JR

Comment

• jon_ramp
              Established Member
              • Feb 2007
              • western Chicago burb
              • Craftsman 21829

Trend is another to consider. On sale for about the same price at Woodcraft.
              Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

The pr10evsk from Bosch is a single speed and a bit cheaper. No plunge though.
                It seems to go on sale more than the variable speed, I've seen it for about $89 on sale, normally I think about $110.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Relative
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2007
                  • Garden Grove, CA
                  • Ridgid R4512

I have the Trend T4. Haven't used it much, but like the feel when I did use it. The plunge operation is solid and a nice feature.

I received my first T4 as a Christmas present two winters ago. Didn't use it until a large project this Christmas. The variable speed function quit - but it still ran OK at full speed. Trend sent a new T4 (complete package) after explaining what happened - no receipt, no argument, just FedEx knocking at the door. The one that failed was made in 2007 and there was noise on other forums that early versions had a problem with the variable speed.

With this kind of customer support, Trend has a big smile from me (and my son - who gave me the T4 in the first place).

I just counted up the routers I have and it comes to 7 - if you count the Rotozip. I used 5 of them today!

Used the Rotozip to trammel the circles for a Thien on a 5-gallon bucket.
                  Used a HF trim router to even face boards on a stand for my new bandsaw.
                  Used a Makita D-handle to route two 3/4" dado cuts when I didn't want to disturb the tablesaw setup.
                  Used a Milwaukee in the router table to rabbet a seat on the Thien upper plate.
                  Used an old Craftsman that is permanently mounted on a plate to do 1/4 roundovers on drawer fronts for the bandsaw stand..

You can see that I'm not partial to any one brand.

Mike
                  Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• tbarn
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2004
                    • PA, USA.
                    • BT3100

I have the Bosch colt and I love it. it holds well and is easy to control. I got it to replace my broken rotozip which I used a lot less than this router.
                    I have not used it for inlays and not sure if I can use bushings with it.
                    The new small Dewalt one looks like a nice set since it has a plunge base too.
                    I looked at the MLCS too set but decided on the Bosch

Comment

• tlt
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Tucson, Arizona.
                      • Delta 36-682

For inlays, I've been happy using a Freud plunge trim router that I picked up last year for about $100 refurbished....model FT1000EK, if that helps. It also came with a fixed base, offset guide, etc., but I have not used it for anything but inlays. Works really well, the only downside is that you have to get a $15 adapter to use it with the PC-style inlay kits.

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by JR
                        I notice the Marvel doesn't have variable speed, whereas the Bosch and Ridgid both do. I'm not sure this is a showstopper as I'd be using very small bits only, but 30,000 rpm is pretty darn fast.

JR
                        I have been eyeing that Marvel for some time - looks nice !

The two larger routers that I have - I have rarely (if ever) changed the speeds; not even sure when I should... But my suggestion is that any router should have what is called 'soft start'; some time back I used a friend's router that did not have this, and it almost jerked out of my hands when it started at full speed; and very un-funnily, it kept doing that every time - I just could not flex my hands enough for it ! I was stressing out each time I had to turn it on that day.

I think most modern routers have soft-start, but did not see it in the Marvel's specs. The Bosch and Ridgid listed on Amazon seem to have soft-start.

edit : This discussion has a post (#4) by a Marvel owner recommending the Trend instead, where he states the Marvel does not have a soft-start.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• Relative
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2007
                          • Garden Grove, CA
                          • Ridgid R4512

The Trend T4 has soft start.

Mike
                          Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• luteman
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • Northern Michigan
                            • BT3100-1

I have the latest Ridgid and love it! The dowside is its' weight. I also have an early model Ryobi trim router which is my "beater" whenever it need to rout something quick and dirty. It has never failed me. The downside is its' clumsy depth adjustment mechanism, or should I say, its' lack of one? The Ridgid has a nice rack and pinion adjustment.

Comment

Working...