• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

Harbor Freight compressed air plumbing system $60

Harbor Freight has a garage compressed air plumbing system, item number 66747, that is apparently a direct knockoff of the Rapidair system (Rapidair even has a comment about it on their website). It was discussed sometime back here. I have been planning to pick it up with one of the 20% off coupons, but I noticed recently that it had disappeared from the HF website. I called my local store today to see if it maybe had been discontinued. They still have them in stock, and the price is now $59.99. Regular price used to be ~$100 and this is the first time I've ever known it to be less than $79.99. It comes with 100 feet of air line, a manifold, and two outlets. You can't view it on the website any more but you can still access the product manual here.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Rapidair's claim on their website is laughable!
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I didn't see any claim on their website, but definitely a cool product. I'll have to look for the HF item locally.

Comment

• dewi1219
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Birmingham, AL

Scroll to the bottom of this page.

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by dewi1219
          Scroll to the bottom of this page.
          Ah.... the text wasn't visible for some reason. Probably my work's old browser. I had to highlight the text to find it....

That is indeed rediculous.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by dewi1219
            Harbor Freight has a garage compressed air plumbing system, item number 66747, that is apparently a direct knockoff of the Rapidair system (Rapidair even has a comment about it on their website). It was discussed sometime back here. I have been planning to pick it up with one of the 20% off coupons, but I noticed recently that it had disappeared from the HF website. I called my local store today to see if it maybe had been discontinued. They still have them in stock, and the price is now $59.99. Regular price used to be ~$100 and this is the first time I've ever known it to be less than $79.99. It comes with 100 feet of air line, a manifold, and two outlets. You can't view it on the website any more but you can still access the product manual here.
            If they don't have it on their website, maybe it is discontinued and they are just selling off remaining stock.

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              Rapidair's claim on their website is laughable!
              What do you base your statement on? (not trying to be confrontational, just curious)
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• tsbrewers
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006

a buddy of mine used to sell the rapidair stuff, and he said it was great stuff, but expensive. Has anyone actually used the HF version?

Brew

Comment

• dewi1219
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Birmingham, AL

If you go to this thread and read posts #17 & #20, member "gnal41" used the system and also added a drop with parts from the Rapidair system (Rapidair sells components individually). Before the system disappeared off of the HF site, there were quite a few reviews, all of them favorable IIRC.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN

For $48, I almost picked up two sets. But I figured that 3 outlets running along my stationary bench are enough.

I haven't had a chance to play with it, but it looks cool.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by wardprobst
                      What do you base your statement on? (not trying to be confrontational, just curious)
                      DP
                      Sorry Ward that it has taken me so long to explain.....What I mean is that I have known about the style of airline fittings for at least 15 years. I think it is a fair bet that Rapidair did not develop any of the technology they are selling in the kits. i think they possibly could be the first to market to this niche with a "system." HF seems to have capitalized on a good idea. A claim that their competitors item is poor quality based on price point just rings hollow to me. HF has enormous economies of scale working for them. Their overhead for marketing is a fraction of Rapidairs due to HF's marketing methods.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                        Sorry Ward that it has taken me so long to explain.....What I mean is that I have known about the style of airline fittings for at least 15 years. I think it is a fair bet that Rapidair did not develop any of the technology they are selling in the kits. i think they possibly could be the first to market to this niche with a "system." HF seems to have capitalized on a good idea. A claim that their competitors item is poor quality based on price point just rings hollow to me. HF has enormous economies of scale working for them. Their overhead for marketing is a fraction of Rapidairs due to HF's marketing methods.
                        No problem, I was just wondering. I run a lot of air tools and while I don't have the Rapidair, I have used a bunch of Harbor Freight fittings and had a lot of trouble with them leaking air. It's to the point that I won't use them anymore. I looked at the Rapidair and the machining seemed to be of higher quality. I ended up with 3/4 galvanized pipe mainly because I could add additional air volume with the long runs I had to make. I'm not trying to stir it up about Harbor Freight, I've bought some stuff there that other vendors sell for higher prices but I've learned to be really careful about what I buy.
                        Thanks for your reply,
                        Dale
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dewi1219
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Birmingham, AL

No problem, I was just wondering. I run a lot of air tools and while I don't have the Rapidair, I have used a bunch of Harbor Freight fittings and had a lot of trouble with them leaking air. It's to the point that I won't use them anymore. I looked at the Rapidair and the machining seemed to be of higher quality. I ended up with 3/4 galvanized pipe mainly because I could add additional air volume with the long runs I had to make. I'm not trying to stir it up about Harbor Freight, I've bought some stuff there that other vendors sell for higher prices but I've learned to be really careful about what I buy.
                          Thanks for your reply,
                          Dale
                          Dale,
                          When you say you've experienced leaks with the HF fittings, do you mean those included with the air line kit mentioned above or other fittings like the standard quick disconnects, etc.? I read quite a few reviews on the air line kit before it was removed from the HF website, and they all seemed to indicate that leaks were not a problem. I am wondering because I was planning on buying the system today and I have two concerns with it: 1) leaks, and 2) the size of the line being sufficient to support higher volume tools like a DA sander or HVLP gun (automotive type).

I would like to use galvanized pipe myself, but I have concerns about it leaking as well. I figured for $59, there wasn't much to lose with the HF kit.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN

I know for their quick-connect fittings, sometimes they don't seat/ fit properly, and then they can leak. But for simple elbows and such, I think your fine. You could always use locktite to help lock in/ seal the fittings, but that's not that necessary- teflon should work fine as well (I prefer the paste form, not the tape).

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I have used a bunch of Harbor Freight fittings and had a lot of trouble with them leaking air.
                              There are two types of quick disconnect fittings, and HF sells both. They are VERY similar in appearance. If the "industrial" and "automotive" fittings are mixed, they can leak. They will fit together in both combinations, they just won't fit well and may leak.

Halfway down the page on the following link is a good article on quick-connect couplers:
                              air connectors

There is "universal" style coupler that works with all three standard fitting types (ARO, industrial, and automotive).

FWIW, I have used a lot of HF fittings and have had no problems with leaks.
                              Last edited by woodturner; 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...