• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Changing knives on my TP. Just one to go

I have read all of the threads on the web (yes, I have read the entire web) and nowhere does it tell how to get the screws out of the knife retaining bar of the Delta TP200. I have but one to go and it's beginning to round over the shoulder. The only wrench that fits is the one that come with it since it is a bit thinner.

I put it to bed last night with Areo-kroil, gave it another blast and just came in from another failed attempt. I'm getting pretty worried. How 'bout another soaking and then heating with a large, electric soldering iron all around the ignorant threads. What are the odds of success?
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Chiz,

I'd use a propane torch and heat it up pretty hot. If you can get to it to hammer on it with a punch that might help also.

Good luck,
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004

Is it important to keep the heat isolated to the blade keeper bar as much as possible - off of the drum? Should I use the punch as close to the edge of the flat and in the direction that I want it to turn? And, last of all, would a knock with a flat bottom punch to 'shock' it, much like you would the end of the crankshaft for a recalcitrant blade retaining nut? Do I sound scared? You bet!!
      Last edited by ironhat; 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: clarity
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004

I was able to loosen the recalcitrant bolt by giving it a shot of Kroil and then rolling the roller into a position where gravity would would encourage it to follow the thread. I returned again in 12 hours and gave it another dose. Returning in an additional 12 hours it was easily loosened by benefit of the penetrating oil.
        Last edited by ironhat; 03-18-2011, 07:28 PM. Reason: Tried to make sense out of the syntax.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Sweet Deal...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
            • Craftsman 22811

That's the spirit!
            DP
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by ironhat
              I was able to loosen the recalcitrant by giving it a shot of Kroil and then rolling the roller into a position where gravity would would encourage it to follow the thread. I retreated again in 12 hours. Returning in an additional 12 hours it was easily loosened by benefit of the penetrating oil.
              well done. sometimes, the best way to attack a problem is patience and thought. my mchanical engineer dad used to tell me, "if you're working hard, you're doing it wrong".
              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Long Shadow
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2007

Hey Chiz, happy to hear that darn thing came out. I was about to suggest that you were a candidate for a "Screw Extractor Set" or then maybe drill and retap.
                Dan

Comment

Working...