• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Transfer Punch

Today we're going to discuss transfer punches.

$10 set from Harbor Freight

One trick that some people know is that if you have a drill bit set you also have a fairly accurate set of setup bars. OK, so they're round but you can use the shank end of a 1/8" drill bit to space an item exactly 1/8" away from a fence or set a 1/8" gap between two parallel boards you are fastening down.

The transfer punch is one step better - its like a brad point drill bit set with no flutes, just a straight rod. The sets usually come in 28- pieces, that is 28 rods from 3/32 to 1/2" by 1/64th in an index stand. And they're cheap - A quick look on google shows them from $9.99 at HF to about $20 (although you can spend $100 for a set from Starrett) which are quite accurate.

Not having the cutting flutes on them makes them easier to handle without slicing your fingers and obviously cheaper to make than drill bit sets. It also makes them fully smooth - the whole length can be used for spacing - and better for indexing.

But one of the best things about them is that they are intended for something else: and that is to mark the center of holes between a template piece and a workpiece.

The template can be the your prototype or a item you want to match the holes in. You can make matching holes in the workpiece.

Lay your template on the workpiece and hold in position so it doesn't shift while you do your transfers. try several punches from the set until you find one that matches the hole you want to drill. They mostly claim these are made .0025" undersize (that 2-1/2 thousandths) so they will be a slipfit into the intended hole size.

The punch has a flat, blunt end and a flat end with a conical protrusion in the center. This end should go into the hole in the template and use a small hammer (or just hand force on wood) on the blunt end to mark the workpiece. Since the punch is a tight fit and the point is in the center, you have now marked dead center of the location. This is better than just sticking a smaller drill into a bigger hole and hoping it starts in the center. or marking a circle with your pencil and then trying to start a hole in its exact center by guesstimation.

you can drill a hole the same size as the punch to match the hole in the template, or you can drill a smaller pilot hole for wood screws.

So anyway, a definite shop helper for more accurate work for $10.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-04-2011, 11:42 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

LOL. The first time I saw that set at HF I knew I had to have it. I just didn't know why I had to have it!

Eventually I learned to use it exactly as you describe, Loring. In fact, as I was spending late nights on a wedding present recently it came in real handy. My self-centering punch was too big for the holes in the hinges I was using. Enter the punch set!

Of course, I still managed to breack a bunch of screws, but that's a tale for another day...

JR
    JR

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Great post LChien, I use these all the time. The main differences between the HF and USA made ($50) is the quality of the steel as well as the accuracy. HF set is pretty soft and will deform, DAMHIK. They are certainly handy in the shop if you don't push them too hard.
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I picked up a set of those at a garage sale about 30 years ago. Thought they would be cool to have. I've never really used them. They were tools from a tool and die maker. I think they are primarily a machine shop item, but could be used on wood.

The problem I found is the same as any type of pointed punch, in that they have to be used very perpendicularly to be accurate. The short point on a transfer punch doesn't really pilot much of a hole. Some heavily grained wood hides a light mark. But, to use for alignment of marks, for that price might be worthwhile.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

These punches have become a standard used tool for many many pen turners. They are great for disassembling pens of various internal diameters.

In making most pens, I glue the tubes in with epoxy, but to prevent the epoxy from getting inside the tubes, I plug the tubes on both ends with plumbers putty. AND I use the closest sized punch to push the plumbers putty out, then use a narrow brush.

In addition, I find many odd uses for the punches also.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Bought years ago, used often
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wardprobst
              Great post LChien, I use these all the time. The main differences between the HF and USA made ($50) is the quality of the steel as well as the accuracy. HF set is pretty soft and will deform, DAMHIK. They are certainly handy in the shop if you don't push them too hard.
              DP
              I guess if you use it for woodworking, even the softest steel is harder than most woods. I've gotten adequate service from mine. If I was a machinist I'm sure I would get a better quality set.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Charlie R
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2007

Transfer screws

http://www.mcmaster.com/#transfer-screws/=dx6zqw

are the handiest gadgets for marking the center of a hole in metal brackets that will be bolted to a threaded hole. The screw (transfer point) is like a set screw with a raised point on one end. Screw it into the threaded hole until just the point extends past the surface. Align the mating part and tap it against the point to create the center dimple.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks Charlie, didnt know those existed! Those are very interesting.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by Charlie R
                    Transfer screws

are the handiest gadgets for marking the center of a hole in metal brackets that will be bolted to a threaded hole. The screw (transfer point) is like a set screw with a raised point on one end. Screw it into the threaded hole until just the point extends past the surface. Align the mating part and tap it against the point to create the center dimple.
                    Pretty cool. What won't they think of next.

Comment

• Kristofor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2004
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

A little cross-pollination of hobbies is a good thing.

The free MIT machine shop beginner videos aren't the greatest video quality (low res) and are a bit slow on pacing but are an interesting (at least to me) overview and covers both of those layout tools in the first vid. http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dowel centers

Originally posted by Charlie R
                        Transfer screws

Actually we have these for woodworking. They are for non-threaded holes rather than threaded and are called dowel centers and come in standard fractional diameter sizes (usually 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2") rather than standard screw threads.

But I didn't know they made threaded ones for metalworking. Thanks for the education!
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

+1 for dowel centers. They are great for hole locating. The drilling has to be in alignment or there could be a misfit.

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Awesome, thanks Kristofor, I think I have this weeks entertainment qued up, lol.
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...