• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Double sided tape?

Does anyone have any recommendations on double sided tape or double stick tape. I have never bought or used any and there always seems like a use for it, but I never have any around! I just saw a tip from woodsmith about using a straight scrap and some double stick to square up a glued up piece of stock. http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2011/11...s-made-easy-2/
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Carpet tape. Find it on the flooring aisle at the home center. It's very thin and plenty sticky. I usually cut about 1/2" strips off the end of the roll and disperse them around the parts to be attached.

You may also see foam tape with two sticky sides. You probably don't want this as it's too thick and gooey for most woodworking applications. You want the pieces to be tied together without moving at all.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Well.... several years ago I made new drawer fronts for our kitchen and just recently got around to making the new drawers. The fronts were attached to the old drawers with double sided tape that looks like it has a fiberglass mat at the core and lots of stickem and the screws for the drawer pull. I don't know the brand name and hope to never use it again for that purpose as I nearly ruined the drawer fronts getting them off of the old drawers. In the end I drove a putty knife between them clear across the drawer and then a pry bar to get them apart. So if the idea is a really good holding tape look for the kind with the fiberglass core. I plan on using the cheapo paper tape in the future for temporary stuff. I am now wondering what else I stuck together with the tape that I may have to take apart in the future.

Bill
      on the left coast, the rain has started....

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I agree on carpet type tape. What else works well for a temporary hold is hot melt glue. Parts have to be dust free, for the glue or the tape. 3M/Scotch has a few that are very good.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
          Well.... several years ago I made new drawer fronts for our kitchen and just recently got around to making the new drawers. The fronts were attached to the old drawers with double sided tape that looks like it has a fiberglass mat at the core and lots of stickem and the screws for the drawer pull. I don't know the brand name and hope to never use it again for that purpose as I nearly ruined the drawer fronts getting them off of the old drawers. In the end I drove a putty knife between them clear across the drawer and then a pry bar to get them apart. So if the idea is a really good holding tape look for the kind with the fiberglass core. I plan on using the cheapo paper tape in the future for temporary stuff. I am now wondering what else I stuck together with the tape that I may have to take apart in the future.

Bill
          on the left coast, the rain has started....
          I asked this question before and carpet tape was recommended to me as well. The version you found is the only one I could find at the big box stores and I absolutely HATED it. Way too sticky for woodworking, IMO.

I picked up two rolls of turner's tape from Rockler the last time it was on sale. It's the closest thing looks wise I could find to what they use on the Woodsmith Shop, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Matter of fact, I'm not completely sure where I put them...
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

I saw the one's with fibers and completely passed those by. I had thoughts of trying to plane through that mess.... thanks for the input, I am off to Borg to have a look around for some x-mas lights, I'll pass by their tape section and see what they carry.

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

+1 on cab's suggestion of using a hot melt glue gun. Pops off easier than the sticky tape, especially if you intend to finish later.
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

this one works extremely well for temporary holding, like adhering a workpiece to a taper sled, yet easily removable with just a little gentle persuasion:

http://duckbrand.com/Products/diy-pr...rpet-tape.aspx

available at walmart for $5-7.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  I had thoughts of trying to plane through that mess....
                  It cleans up easily with a little mineral spirits.
                  JR

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Excellent JR, don't know why I didn't think of that! I went today, but found no double stick tape... Adhesive aisle and in carpet section, but found plenty of christmas lights and decorations. They were also doing the $3,4,5 dollar per strand rebate if you bring in your old non led lights with purchase of led light strand. I noticed that the strands they had for sale were often only 50 light instead of the regular 100 light per strand. Nice marketing there.

Comment

• natausch
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Aurora, IL
                      • BT3000 - 15A

Huge fan of the Polyken brand premium, use it for taping down templates while routing. Yes it is more expensive, but the cloth tack is easier to remove after you remove the template and the hold is great.

http://www.amazon.com/Polyken-Premiu...0432616&sr=1-2

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

I have used a 2-sided painters tape, Duo-Stick, manufactured by Loparex. It's designed for use to adhere dropcloths to painted surfaces. One side has a lower (than carpet tape for reference) adhesion than the other. Unfortunately, I can't find an online supplier. Good thing I bought 5 rolls the last time I ordered some.

Here is link to a similar product: Painter's Mate Dropcloth Tape

I also have used Rockler's Double Sided Adhesive Discs with good success. They are much handier for most things than double-sided tape. They have greater adhesion than the double-sided dropcloth tape, but less than run-of-the-mill carpet tape.
                        Brian

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                          this one works extremely well for temporary holding, like adhering a workpiece to a taper sled, yet easily removable with just a little gentle persuasion:

http://duckbrand.com/Products/diy-pr...rpet-tape.aspx

available at walmart for $5-7.
                          +1 on this for me, has been adequate for my applications and not difficult to remove... that said, I don't leave it in place very long either. A little difficult to cut with scissors though.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Spending most of my life in technical graphics as an illustrator, publisher, and photographer, I've used a 3M product referred to as "Adhesive Transfer Tape".

I've been retired from that for some time now, but still have a couple of rolls and like most of that old manually-used graphic arts stuff, I've found much of it quite useable in the woodshop.

Adhesive Transfer Tape is basically a high-tack adhesive on a craftpaper liner, which you stick to your object and then peel away the liner, leaving just the adhesive. Shelf life is remarkable as these rolls have got to be almost 20 years old and still work quite well.

Problem is that there's not much in the way of identification on the roll. But a search of 3M industrial site gives me this, which is probably the modern version: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beSS427J7CG2gl

It might be available in art or graphic supply stores.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• sailor55330
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cwsmith
                              Spending most of my life in technical graphics as an illustrator, publisher, and photographer, I've used a 3M product referred to as "Adhesive Transfer Tape".

I've been retired from that for some time now, but still have a couple of rolls and like most of that old manually-used graphic arts stuff, I've found much of it quite useable in the woodshop.

Adhesive Transfer Tape is basically a high-tack adhesive on a craftpaper liner, which you stick to your object and then peel away the liner, leaving just the adhesive. Shelf life is remarkable as these rolls have got to be almost 20 years old and still work quite well.

Problem is that there's not much in the way of identification on the roll. But a search of 3M industrial site gives me this, which is probably the modern version: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beSS427J7CG2gl

It might be available in art or graphic supply stores.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                              I just bought something similar at HD in the carpet aisle. Basicially you stick it on, peel off the liner and the adhesive stays behind. Comes off pretty easily as well. Had the consistency of dried rubber cement as it came off. I think it was about $7 a roll. Very sticky while in place

Comment

Working...