• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

BT3K Crosscut / Miter Sled?

The recent "Miter on table saw or miter saw?" thread prompted this new thread about a sled for BT3K ...

>> Anyone made a crosscut sled or miter sled for a BT3K that does not have miter slots?

Years ago, I attempted one with cleats that would slide against the sides of the table. Would require a way to make the sides of the table parallel to the blade. Never followed through on my idea.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I built the one in this link that rode the rip fence and was also secured into the SMT slot. Incredibly accurate. Easy to build as well.

There are many different styles and attachment points on these type jigs.
    I think these were called Bomber sled by Pappy and others, so a search including that might turn up several more.
    Lee

Comment

• jAngiel
      • Oct 2003
      • Ryobi BT3100

I havent seen that one before. I like the idea of attaching it to the SMT, do you have any instructions written up on how to build it?
      James

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Not really.
        The only odd thing that was used is a rip fence jig guide.
        Here is some info on that.

The rest of the jig itself require's no head scratching. It can be as simple or extravagant as you like. Any size you want as well.
        The main trick to it is to get the initial fences at 45 degrees.
        Leaving a little adjustment on each fence can help with that until it's perfect. Then when it is, lock it down.

This one had a bolt in the miter slot, but my table aligned perfectly with my rip fence. This isn't going to be the case in many saws.
        This jig could be only secured to either the rip fence or the SMT fence.
        Size will matter, but many guys have done these lots of different ways.
        Lee

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
          • May 2003
          • Orlando, FL, USA.
          • BT3000

Lee -

Since the sled position is determined by the position of the rip fence and/or the SMT, I guess the kerf in the sled will grow over time(?)

I like that it is guided on both sides of the blade - rip fence and SMT. Looks like this will be my next project. I'll see if there is a way to make a replacable zero clearance insert into the sled without causing the base to become too thick.

Thanks for posting.

- Lonnie
          OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

A ZCTP sounds like a nice addition. Maybe some masonite hardboard strips could be used. A new one on each project will insure that you get perfect cuts where you need them.
            Lee

Comment

Working...