• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Lathe Workstation Ideas

Still setting up my 12x16 workshop. I took the opportunity on Saturday to take a break from work, cleaning, organizing to do a little turning. Where I have the lathe in my shop, I believe it will stay. It is located in one corner of my shop, and I'm trying to figure out some storage ideas for blanks, tools, accessories.

I'm still very much into pen turning. I have what I'll call a "utility" 8 piece set of older craftsman HSS turning tools. I also have 3 different tools that I use, as well as a mini set that I occasionally use for detail work. What I'm trying to figure out right now is the best way of storing everything so the tools are easily accessible, I can have the blanks out of the way, and things like mandrels, pen kits, finishing stuff somewhere else that I can keep organized.

I was hoping others may share pictures of their lathe workstation, the good and the bad, so I can get some ideas.

What I'm thinking right now is a "shelf" with some pvc cutoffs that I can put the tools into on the wall (Seen this a few times). I also have some basic plans for a simple cabinet that I could hang on the wall for all the sandpaper, something like this: http://plansnow.com/shopcab.html

Here's a link to the PVC shelf/sorting for tools: http://www.chrisbillman.com/Projects/LatheWorkArea.htm
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I would be interested in this too. Though if it's lower than the example you have pictured, I'd be weary of having those tools pointed up. Maybe put some foam on the bottom, and have them facing down? That way, the sharp end stays sharp, yet isn't likely to cut you if you bump up against the stored tools?

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Not exactly lathe tools above, but I built the clamshell cabinets from Wood Magazine plans, and modded them to my needs. I had considered using them for my lathe stuff, but instead I am planning on a cabinet in the stand offereing storage for my turning stuff, and a bag or two of sand for ballast...

These clamshells open up, and I have them paired now. I have some modification coming to them when I rework the wall after the electrical / insulation install in September.

They will be bridged, with shelves between, an 18" deep x 8' long shelf on top, and some simple solid ply doors covering the shelves. My more common turning tools will be on tool holders on those doors, so my 3/4" and 1.5" gouges, my 1/2" versa chisel, and my skew should be there for sure...
      Last edited by dbhost; 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

You didn't say what lathe you have. If you click the webshots link in my signature line, there is an album set up on the lathe cabinet I built for a Jet Mini / extension bed. All the storage is inside the cabinets below the lathe or in the 2 drawers
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Here is a link to pictures of my shop.
          https://picasaweb.google.com/1030316...CInj04XizubjTw
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• bfrikken
            • Apr 2005
            • Michigan, USA.
            • BT-3100

Originally posted by Pappy
            You didn't say what lathe you have. If you click the webshots link in my signature line, there is an album set up on the lathe cabinet I built for a Jet Mini / extension bed. All the storage is inside the cabinets below the lathe or in the 2 drawers
            Sorry, I have a HF 34706 lathe. I didn't want that to limit suggestions or contributions from those willing to share.

Ok, your mobile cabinet looks like something I could see doing to replace the stamped legs on that HF lathe. Man did you do a nice job. Do you have plans that you used?
            Last edited by bfrikken; 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• bfrikken
              • Apr 2005
              • Michigan, USA.
              • BT-3100

Originally posted by Whaler
              Here is a link to pictures of my shop.
              https://picasaweb.google.com/1030316...CInj04XizubjTw
              Checked out your pics and the strip of what looks like a plywood with your tools upside down may be a good, easy and quick way for me to start, since I don't have a lot of tools I go through right now. I could make that easy to move around too.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by bfrikken
                Sorry, I have a HF 34706 lathe. I didn't want that to limit suggestions or contributions from those willing to share.

Ok, your mobile cabinet looks like something I could see doing to replace the stamped legs on that HF lathe. Man did you do a nice job. Do you have plans that you used?
                Thanks for the compliment. Closest thing to plans were a couple of rough sketches and some dimensions. The rack for the tools was built to hang on french cleats and can be hung on the outside of any of the doors.

It was built for my wife and I both to be able to use, me standing and her using a stool. She now needs to be able to turn from her wheelchair so I have to build an open table of some sort that she can pull under. I will probably repurpose this one for a storage cabinet / work surface for turning. Still working on a design for the new table.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Whaler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Sequim, WA, USA.
                  • DW746

Originally posted by bfrikken
                  Checked out your pics and the strip of what looks like a plywood with your tools upside down may be a good, easy and quick way for me to start, since I don't have a lot of tools I go through right now. I could make that easy to move around too.
                  It's nothing fancy but it works for me.
                  Attached Files
                  Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...