• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Recent Project

When i first saw how quickly the plastic bag on my dust collector filled, and seeing the cost of bags, i've wanted to try to build a Thein Separator. When Peachtree had a sale on their fitting kit a few months ago (June? July??) i picked one up pretty cheap then started looking for a barrel. Was hoping for plastic, but finally found a 30 gallon steel drum trash can at a client's and paid him $5 US cash for it.

Did the actual build kind of spur of the moment--went out to the shop to noodle and just kind of started--so i didn't take any pics of the build itself. The lid and separator were scrap from rebuilding my shed, happend to have some 3/8 by 7" bolts from my son's ramp-building days, and some 1/2" pvc pipe for spacers. Had made a circle jig from scrap early in the summer--used it as well.

A shot of the intake direction (looking down into the barrel, you'll see about 10" of chips from planing a little cherry--none on the floor!!)

A look at the 240 degree removal for the cyclonic effect. The intake empties at the beginning of the outer circle, debris comes around 120 degrees, then drops into the collector. You'll notice two rings routed into the top--i measured twice, cut once, discovered i had erred in my division of the diameter i needed, measured twice, divided correctly and cut again!!

The "finished" product. I was trying to figure out how to seal/attach the lid, but when i put it on and turn on the DC--it's very difficult to pick up. A little weather stripping around the top of the barrel might help a little--but the seal is pretty good as it is.

earl
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I went through the trouble on mine to lock it down initially. Then realized when it is on, it is self sealing. I do have some weather stripping in it though.
    Yours looks great. Mine has lasted 10+ years and is still going strong.
    Yours should too.
    Lee

Comment

• greenacres2
      • Dec 2011
      • La Porte, IN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Lee--If i'd have known it was going to work as well as it does, i'l have cleaned up the edge on the cyclonic plate!! Next step is to cobble together a rolling base. The base will be largen enough for me to attach a dowel (or old baseball bat) to hold the Dust Right hose.

earl

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

nicely done. somehow, i gotta find the room for one of these.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

We've got a 36 x 24 garage with barely room for one car and winter coming. LOML had a few suggestions on where i could store a few things, might even amuse my proctologist....

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

In the weeks since building the separator, every time i used it i'd lift off the lid, pick up the steel barrel to relocate it, then tote the lid over. Sunday night, LOML had some friends over so i headed out to find a quick project...

Scrap piece of 3/4" ply, routed a 1/4" deep groove for the barrel, screwed a few scraps of 1 x 4 to the bottom side, added 4 light duty swivel casters (2 locking) and had a rolling base in short order. Not bad.

Went in the house for a snack, grabbed a piece of 1 1/2" pvc from the basement, back to the shop. OD on the pipe was 1 7/8" and i only had 1 3/4" or 2" hole saw...so i set up a butterfly cutter at 15/16" radius. Clamped a scrap chunk of 2 x 4 to the drill press. Could only get about 3/4 through the 2 x stock with the cutter, so when i stopped to flip i took a look--the cutter left a slot that looked pretty close to the wall thickness of the pvc. Sure enough--a good snug, really snug friction fit!! Cross cut the 2 x 4 to length, 4 screws and no more stacking the Dust-right hose on top of the separator. It was a good night!!
            Attached Files

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Cool solution for the long slinky.

I made a sloped box on the side of my Jet-650. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=46125 I bought one of the Rockler metal racks for the dust right, but I was really a waste of money.
              Erik

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Nice work. I need to pick up a slinky for my shop, and now I know how to keep it under control.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• greenacres2
                  • Dec 2011
                  • La Porte, IN
                  • Ryobi BT3000

My first thought was to cut down an old wooden baseball bat, but when it was suggested LOML threatened me with it. Cubs fans--they're crazy that way!!

earl

Comment

Working...