Home Improvement Books Recalled by Oxmoor House Due to Faulty Wiring Instructions; Sh

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Home Improvement Books Recalled by Oxmoor House Due to Faulty Wiring Instructions; Sh

There is a recall on DIY / Home Improvement books that covers subjects such as electrical upgrades etc... that have typographical errors and incorrect diagrams that can be problematic...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

The books contain errors in the technical diagrams and wiring instructions that could lead consumers to incorrectly install or repair electrical wiring, posing an electrical shock or fire hazard to consumers.

The books in question are...

AmeriSpec Home Repair Handbook
    Lowe's Complete Home Improvement and Repair
    Lowe's Complete Home Wiring
    Sunset Basic Home Repairs
    Sunset Complete Home Wiring
    Sunset Complete Patio Book
    Sunset Home Repair Handbook
    Sunset Water Gardens
    Sunset You Can Build - Wiring
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

There is no way they can possibly know who did or did not buy any of those books unless there was only one place selling all of them. The really alarming fact is that the errors went uncaught in so many publications. I would not want to be even the smallest part in that liability pool!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

As a tech manual writer (retired), it makes me wonder how that kind of thing got past the editors and technical consultants. I would think that for "electrical", some kind of NEC-certified editor would have to be used.

In the compressor business, I didn't have an official "editor", but all my copy and illustrations had to go through two other people in the dept (another writer and the manager), three separate engineers (product engineering), two marketing engineers, and then legal councel before one could even start to think about printing it.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I have several Sunset books, but none on the list.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'll bet that Sunset is a small operation - a publisher who gets submissions and/or requests books on topics they think they can sell. I know that they cater to the DIY business, you can see them all over he hardware store book racks.

They probably have a contract writer or two for electrical stuff, the publish similar books under different names - usually combinations of (pick any 2) "home" complete, "basic" wiring, "repair", "electrical", and sometimes they combine stuff from their plumber with the electrical guy and you have the "complete home guide to repairs" or similar.

Thus they get multiple chances to use the same material over and over again. Explaining how it can be in so many books. Experienced contracts don't buy or read these books, so it might be several generations before a danger ous error comes to light. Being a small operation, their editor probably checks for style and spelling consistent with their standards but does not have the capability to check technical content and assumes their "expert" has that knowledge.

Its probably a low capital company and may not have a lot of insurance or assets so speak of.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

Its been going on for 3 yrs now and as I recall even made it to the pages of Slickdeals and Fatwallet for folks to make money on by returning them, quite sure theirs no liability issues regarding the publisher only the distributor, which in most case's were Lowes and HD. I can recall seeing the notices as required by law up in Lowes as well as HD several yrs ago about this. Its really old news, but I'd suppose some folks might p/u one at a yard sale or the flea mkt and make use of them even as outdated as they are

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              I'll bet that Sunset is a small operation - a publisher who gets submissions and/or requests books on topics they think they can sell. I know that they cater to the DIY business, you can see them all over he hardware store book racks.

They probably have a contract writer or two for electrical stuff, the publish similar books under different names - usually combinations of (pick any 2) "home" complete, "basic" wiring, "repair", "electrical", and sometimes they combine stuff from their plumber with the electrical guy and you have the "complete home guide to repairs" or similar.

Thus they get multiple chances to use the same material over and over again. Explaining how it can be in so many books. Experienced contracts don't buy or read these books, so it might be several generations before a danger ous error comes to light. Being a small operation, their editor probably checks for style and spelling consistent with their standards but does not have the capability to check technical content and assumes their "expert" has that knowledge.

Its probably a low capital company and may not have a lot of insurance or assets so speak of.
              Sort of like Wood Magazine recycling the special interest publications every few years, and then cycling through the same old same old articles every 7 or 8 years...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
                Its been going on for 3 yrs now and as I recall even made it to the pages of Slickdeals and Fatwallet for folks to make money on by returning them, quite sure theirs no liability issues regarding the publisher only the distributor, which in most case's were Lowes and HD. I can recall seeing the notices as required by law up in Lowes as well as HD several yrs ago about this. Its really old news, but I'd suppose some folks might p/u one at a yard sale or the flea mkt and make use of them even as outdated as they are
                Original publication date on one of those titles was 1975 as I recall... So yeah, rather out of date...

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

http://slickdeals.net/f/1798543-chec...-back-35-years

Comment

Working...