X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve_ma
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

Shim reinstall problem

I bought some new shims for my BT3000 and they are 2X the thickness of the old ones and dont fit. Could these be ones that require a different guide holder?

Even the old ones are odd. One side was single piece, v shaped with flanges that fit perfect on the guide holder. THe other side had 2 flat shims, with flanges, but the shim was shorter. I dont how that worked.....

The new shim a single, v shaped, with little flanges and one side has little indentations that probably reduce the friction and make it easier to move. But I cant get it back together.

I read there was a new 3100 shim/guide holder kit. Maybe these shims are for that kit?
    Anyone know?

Thanks
  • steve_ma
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

I think I found the answer myself....I think I need the new guide holder

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

I think you need to read this one: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=27266
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• steve_ma
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2005

We dont I feel silly! I really read up on this, dont know how I missed that.
        Now I know where those flat shims came from and I dont how I ended up with only 1 of the other. I still have the same problem though, the new ones are too thick.

Guess I am either going to buy a new guide holder if I can or see if can get some shims made.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

How thick are they Steve? The BT3100 shims are totally different, wavy not flat so if you have flat ones, bent tabs top and bottom and folded to make a 90° you have the right shims. There are set screws in the Guide holder to dial in the fit. To assemble back yours out at least far enough that they do not protrude on the shim side, assemble then turn them in so that there is not any noticeable play yet the elevation is smooth the full range. Just like the SMT adjustments it is by trial and error and feel. Too loose and you'll have slop too tight and you will have binding. Just right and it will be smooth and long lasting.

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

like others said, the BT3100 shims are wavey and the BT3000 shims are flat.
            So which do you have?

Both should still be available.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve_ma
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2005

The new ones I have are wavy. They are 20mil thick and the ones I had are the flat ones that are 10mil thick. I think one of the shims had dropped out a long time ago because I only found 1 when I opened it up.

Comment

• steve_ma
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2005

I got the new guide holder and it went back together ok.

Comment

• ernperkins
                  Handtools only
                  • Dec 2012
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT3000

I just purchased a BT3000 and on post-buy inspection found that an angled shim has dropped out. The shim is torn a bit on the crease so I thought it should be replaced. After a little investigation I take it that there aren't any BT300 angled shim replacements to be had and the best approach is to purchase a new BT3100 guide holder and it's respective shims. Is this correct?

Thanks from a BT3000 noob.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by ernperkins
                    I just purchased a BT3000 and on post-buy inspection found that an angled shim has dropped out. The shim is torn a bit on the crease so I thought it should be replaced. After a little investigation I take it that there aren't any BT300 angled shim replacements to be had and the best approach is to purchase a new BT3100 guide holder and it's respective shims. Is this correct?

Thanks from a BT3000 noob.
                    I would guess they are still available through e-parts or some such and then there is Sears parts. IMHO there is no reason to switch to the newer style shims. The old style work fine with the addition of shim supports.

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the key to avoid BT3000 shim failure and recurrence after repair is to keep it lubricated.

Sears has the shims for the BT3000:
                      We carry millions of appliance parts, snow blower, lawn & garden replacement parts, water filters and more. No matter where you bought it, Sears Parts Direct has the right parts.

Sears has both the Shims for the 315.228110 saw which is identical to the BT3000:

We carry millions of appliance parts, snow blower, lawn & garden replacement parts, water filters and more. No matter where you bought it, Sears Parts Direct has the right parts.

If you don't see the shim parts available type shim in the search box.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2012, 09:38 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ernperkins
                        Handtools only
                        • Dec 2012
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • BT3000

Thanks much - shims are ordered. Anxiously waiting to make some sawdust.

Regards...

Comment

Working...