• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

More progress on daughter's dresser

Our younger daughter turned 18mo the other day and this in-progress dresser is still older than she is.

This thread kicked it off:

This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.

I am finally satisfied with the final coats of finish so I'm in the rub out stage. My wife let me take the drawers to the basement to do the rub out. Not enough space in the shop and too cold.

Some so-so cell phone pics.

Still need to install the knobs and then do the rub out on the dresser. Finally, need to make a back for the thing, too. I'm going to shiplap boards onto the back.

Paul
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Very nice! What did you do/use for the finish?

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by ivwshane
      Very nice! What did you do/use for the finish?
      You asked for it!

Honestly, it's a little fuzzy because I've been at it for so long. I started with a few coats of a wipe-on varnish mix. I sanded to 220. It was still stinky after several weeks so I brushed on several coats of WB lacquer (Hood Finishing). Wet sanded with 220 wet/dry and mineral oil/mineral spirit lubricant. Then wiped on a homemade beeswax/mineral oil mix with a rag and rubbed out with 0000 steel wool. I did the beeswax because the petroleum based waxes stink for a long time and this will be holding clothes as well as sit in her bedroom. Beeswax also has a nice smell.

It feels super smooth. When I finally install it, I'll polish it up again with just a touch more wax.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

It looks good. You could have used a much simpler finish schedule. I would not have used any oil/petroleum based products on the interior of a cabinet or in/on drawers, to include waxes.

Oil base products and waxes can smell for a long time. My choice for interiors of cabinets and drawers would be a waterbase polyurethane. Any rubbing would be done with a synthetic "wool", or a Scotchbrite pad. Steel wool is not recommended if used on WB finishes. Metal particles can be discharged from steel wool.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cabinetman
          You could have used a much simpler finish schedule
          I couldn't agree more. If I didn't have to apply finish, this was done over a year ago. I wanted to spray on the finish but I could never get my shop clean enough or have enough space to do it. I'm also a really novice sprayer so starting with wipe-on was the easier route. I originally planned to finish the whole thing with the varnish but changed course part way because of the smell.

I don't remember but there may be a few coats of shellac between the oil and WB. In any case, the dresser inside and out is stink free and I only put finish on the front/back of drawer front--not the sides and back--and the drawer bottom. The mineral oil is odorless and the beeswax has a really pleasant smell.

I've heard about the steel wool on WB but have never witnessed rusting. I get it, but I don't get it. Would the rusting happen if I top coated with more WB years done the road? The last coat of finish was applied weeks ago. Is there still water lingering around?

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul

I've heard about the steel wool on WB but have never witnessed rusting. I get it, but I don't get it. Would the rusting happen if I top coated with more WB years done the road? The last coat of finish was applied weeks ago. Is there still water lingering around?
            If you've already applied the "last coat" I wouldn't worry about it. Metal shards are more likely to rust if their habitat is waterbased. You could just check out the finish from time to time to see if there has been any reaction.

As with most any parts to a woodworking project, the suggested regimens and details can be found on the internet, and on forums like this one from many that have used a variety of products. I didn't have that luxury in my learning curve.

My approach to finishing is to achieve a maintenance free finish. It also has to be ready to deliver and be usable ASAP. I couldn't expect a client to maintain a finish, like an oiled one...for example.

Comment

Working...