Harbor Freight Pricing Policy - changed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

Harbor Freight Pricing Policy - changed?

What's your latest experience with using HF 20% off coupons?

We're all aware of the specific items excluded in the fine print.

I've always waited for something to go on sale in the flyer and then used a 20% off coupon to maximize my savings.

Last month, the cashier (who was also an assistant manager) stated that 20% off coupons could not be used on sale items. She referenced the "* Cannot be used with other discount," section of the coupon clause.

I wrote to HF and 13 days later, they replied:
    Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the delayed response to your email. We appreciate your patience.

On the fine print is states cannot be used toward other discounts or coupons. In this case if the item was discounted and then you tried to use the coupon on top of the discount, you cannot do this. If you were allow to do this before the store was in error.

What are your current findings with coupons?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by RAV2
    What's your latest experience with using HF 20% off coupons?

We're all aware of the specific items excluded in the fine print.

I've always waited for something to go on sale in the flyer and then used a 20% off coupon to maximize my savings.

Last month, the cashier (who was also an assistant manager) stated that 20% off coupons could not be used on sale items. She referenced the "* Cannot be used with other discount," section of the coupon clause.

I wrote to HF and 13 days later, they replied:
    [INDENT]Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the delayed response to your email. We appreciate your patience.

On the fine print is states cannot be used toward other discounts or coupons. In this case if the item was discounted and then you tried to use the coupon on top of the discount, you cannot do this. If you were allow to do this before the store was in error.

What are your current findings with coupons?
    The reply (in bold) is what my local stores say.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by RAV2

Last month, the cashier (who was also an assistant manager) stated that 20% off coupons could not be used on sale items.
      Edited: The coupons usually specifically exclude sale prices and are not usable with a sale coupon. If you were able to do that previously, the cashier made a mistake. This has always been their policy and practice at every store I have visited.

Original:The coupons usually specifically exclude sale prices and are not usable with a sale price. If you were able to do that previously, the cashier made a mistake. This has always been their policy and practice at every store I have visited.
      Last edited by woodturner; 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

That's changed from previous policies. While it has always said 'other discounts', advertised prices didn't fall under that. It was so commonplace I can't think that cashiers were making 'mistakes'. You'd wait for a good sale then break out the coupon. That's why it almost never made sense to join the ITC, because you could get as good or a better deal just with the coupon and sale price

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hello, my name is Paul and it has been 67 days since I last shopped and used a coupon on a sale item at Harbor Freight.

I know I shouldn't be getting a discount on sale items according to the fine print, but every time I use a coupon at mine, I've never been told I can't use it.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I have been aware that if an item on sale requires an item specific coupon, you could not use a 20% on top of that. I have never had any issue with an item being on sale (without necessary coupon) and using the 20% coupon.
            Joe

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Well this brings up a question I have been pondering ...

Recently I received in an email a "Super Coupon" for a 12" CMS offered on the coupon at $129.99 ... AND I have a "Take an EXTRA 20% off ANY purchase of $100 or more" .... can I use them both?
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
                Well this brings up a question I have been pondering ...

Recently I received in an email a "Super Coupon" for a 12" CMS offered on the coupon at $129.99 ... AND I have a "Take an EXTRA 20% off ANY purchase of $100 or more" .... can I use them both?
                That is a scenario where it hasn't and shouldn't work.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

The confusion comes in by the word "Sale". It is NOT simply a "Store" error as that person wrote to RAV. I say that from pure observation from going to 5 different HFs over 4 States and also checking online. That quote doesn't fit.

1. The 20% coupon can be applied to many items on sale ONLINE. So that is OBVIOUSLY not a "store in error" as noted.

2. The problem and confusion (MOST of the time) is with the word "Sale."
                  A. Excluding the specific exclusion items on the 20% coupon, individual store's specific items are similar to "close out or overstock" and these items are not covered with the 20% coupon. (A store MAY allow it and the reason given later.)
                  B. Coupon Sale Items do not allow the 20% coupon.
                  C. Normal Sale items as on HF's web site, which go "ON and OFF, THESE most of the time do allow the 20% coupon. You can test these by looking at a Sale item, putting it into the cart, going to the check-out and applying the 20% coupon. If it accepts the 20%, then the local store should accept it.

A store recently opened in Southaven MS, (Memphis area, 2nd store in the area). The first and older store usually appled the 20% coupon without hesitating. The new store's personnel, without hesitating would say that the 20% would NOT apply and didn't even try. I argued on two different occasion and they got tired of arguing and decided to input the 20% just to show me! Well, both times the register allowed it. The third time months later, I noticed a change in general policy: the cashier said, I don't think it will accept the 20% but I will try it. She input the 20% and it took it. At least I did not have to argue.

Now, here is where the discrepency comes in. Most new stores' registers are tied into the computer system of HF, and if HF allows the 20% on sale items such as online, then the stores' computerized registers will also.

Sale items - 4 types:
                  Close out over stock - no 20%
                  excluded items - no 20%
                  coupon sale items - no 20%
                  Normal "Sale" items - yes to the 20% most of the time.

As to the "no" 20%, it is my opinion that the older stores with non-updated computerized cash registers, these stores MIGHT allow. This is where I feel that the email to RAV is addressing.

These are my observations over numerous purchases in different stores in different States - Mississippi 2 stores that I frequent; TN (Memphis), Jonesboro AR, Springfield, MO. Used to go to the one near Mesquite TX when my daughter lived in Greenville, TX. I have been in each store more than 2 times each.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Nice write-up. The problem lies with the employees' consistency. About like the factory QC.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
                      The confusion comes in by the word "Sale". It is NOT simply a "Store" error as that person wrote to RAV. I say that from pure observation from going to 5 different HFs over 4 States and also checking online. That quote doesn't fit.
                      Sale items - 4 types:
                      Close out over stock - no 20%
                      excluded items - no 20%
                      coupon sale items - no 20%
                      Normal "Sale" items - yes to the 20% most of the time.
                      These are my observations over numerous purchases in different stores in different States - Mississippi 2 stores that I frequent; TN (Memphis), Jonesboro AR, Springfield, MO. Used to go to the one near Mesquite TX when my daughter lived in Greenville, TX. I have been in each store more than 2 times each.
                      Good summary.

You know you are spending way too much time/money at HF when you understand their policies better than the employees of HF and can predict exactly what the HF computer will do.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Our local area store (Vestal, NY) is fairly new, being about two or three year old. So, I would suspect their cash register system to be right up to date; and, it is networked with thier main system.

Now, we just purchased a featured sale item in the May flyer (mailed, issue 8221) which stated, "Save 25%". The regular price stated was $34.99 and the advertised sale price was $25.99. Since this was NOT a coupon featured item, I used a 25% coupon with NO problem or even question about it. Seems to me that if there was any question whatsoever, it would have been brought to someone's attention! It went through the register just fine! (And, I do this quite often with the very common 20% coupons.)

The 25% "super coupon" states, "Cannot be used with other discount, coupon, gift cards, ... " (going on to state product types, etc.) I also just checked several "20% OFF" coupons and all of them have the same statement... NONE of them say "sale items".

It says nothing whatsoever about "Sales" and I do not consider a "Sale" as being exactly the same as a "discount". A "sale" is generally available to all customers for a stated calender period, and a "discount" is usually for a select few holders. For example, a "Senior Citizen", "Student", "Club", etc. A discount almost always has some kind of qualification to define who does and who doesn't get the discount. A "Sale" however is only restricted by the opening and closing dates of the sale, or by the "limited quantity".

Furthermore, IF a 20% coupon could NOT be used with a sale item, then it would be rather useless; as techinically, almost everything at HF is on "SALE"! Just look at any of the flyers. I have yet to see a single product listed that doesn't show a higher "REG. PRICE".

One of the things that surprises me about HF is their overall friendlyness and there appears to be no concerns whatsoever about what does and does not qualify for discount. For example, I have a friend who is looking to purchase thier metal lathe sometime in the future. It is not one of the products listed as "not available" for a discount coupon. But considering it's price of $499.99; reg. price $599.99; I presumed it wasn't eligible. But I asked and the local store manager checked the computer and gave me a a "thumbs up". So, I've passed that on to my friend for his future budgeting.

I just think you've run into a situation at both your store and at HF HQ that somebody is mis-interpreting the sale/discount policy.

CWS
                        Last edited by cwsmith; 05-19-2013, 11:13 AM. Reason: See italics.
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                          2. The problem and confusion (MOST of the time) is with the word "Sale."
                          B. Coupon Sale Items do not allow the 20% coupon.
                          Yep, that's the source of my confusion, at least. It's sale items with a coupon to get that sale price that the 10 or so stores I have visited won't allow. I'm not sure I have ever tried to use a 20% coupon on an advertised sale price, where no coupon was required.

Strangely, the two stores closest to me have very different policies regarding coupons, etc. For example, one store will allow the 10% club discount to be used with any other coupon or discount, while the other store will not and will often not honor the club discount, even when shown the membership card.
                          Last edited by woodturner; 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM.
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• phrog
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

When I bought my lathe about 3 years ago, the store manager waited on me and I asked him if I could use my 20% coupon since the lathe was on sale. He told me that I could use it on anything except items on the Bargain shelf (socket sets missing a socket, open items, etc.) and you can't use more than one coupon. Since neither applied to the lathe, I received the 20% discount. I don't know if the policy has changed since then.
                            Last edited by phrog; 05-19-2013, 12:17 PM.
                            Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

Woodturner (and everyone else of course),

I wasn't sure if "Inside Track" members got a discount with their membership. I thought they might, but figured the big advantage was just a better sale price in the Inside Track monthly flyer.

But here is a case where things really seem to need clarification. Because if the Inside Track membership actually does entitle members to a "Discount", then that is clearly against the rules stated on the typical 20% off coupon. Taken by that statement, a member could NEVER use a 20% Off coupon and at the same time expect to get a discounted price as a priviledge of membership.

I am very much under the impression that there is a major difference between "Discounted" prices and "Sale" prices. As I said earlier, almost everything sold at Harbor Freight is marked below their posted regular price, so with the statements received from Harbor Freight Customer Service, the "20% Off" coupon would apply to nothing in the store; and it certainly wouldn't apply to any purchase made by an Inside Track Club member, expecting his purchases to be discounted.

IMHO, my store has it right... You can't use a "20% Off" coupon with any other sales "coupon" and you can't use it with those products that are mentioned or for Inside Track membership or Extended Service Program purchases.... everything else is applicable though.

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...