• Show
Clear All
  • protool
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003
    • Austin, TX, USA.
    • BT3000

Rolling, Folding Chop Saw Stand

i recently finished this rolling stand for my chop saw. I don't have a lot of room in the garage so I made the wings fold down when I'm not using the miter saw. I used the Kreg fence & stops.

More pics and details on my blog:
    <><><><><><><><>
    David Cox
    Austin, Texas
    http://davidcox.org/wood/
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I dig it the most!

I've been looking for ideas for new wings on my rolling CMS cabinet. The cabinet has acheived a certain parallelogram kind of tilt over the years (), so I need an adjustable wing scheme. Yours is very nicely done.

Re: the Kreg fences, do you find that the measurements are accurate?
    JR

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Sweet!
      Nice work on that,
      ~DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Nicely done. It looks like the table the saw sits on is adjustable for height. Is that the case? If not, what purpose do the bolts serve?

I should have made mine where I could roll it. It now resides in a garage, and when I use it, I take it outside. The older I get, the more that thing weighs!

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Ed62
          Nicely done. It looks like the table the saw sits on is adjustable for height. Is that the case? If not, what purpose do the bolts serve?

I should have made mine where I could roll it. It now resides in a garage, and when I use it, I take it outside. The older I get, the more that thing weighs!

Ed
          Probably to let you match the height of the cutting table of the saw to the height of the wings.
          THere is no standard height of miter saw tables above the bench.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Nice. Did you have to account for any potential sag? I had to modify my cabinet after about ten minutes because it was too heavy.

Looking to prevent that next time.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• big tim
              • Mar 2006
              • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
              • SawStop PCS

Nicely done. I checked your blog and it looks like the fence can be adjusted a certain amount front to back as well as left to right. Front to back to accommodate a different saw? Left to right for longer measurements??

Tim
              Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I need something like that for my mortiser. I see you have one underneath. Is the stand set up to hold it, also?
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice David! How do you like that saw?
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    Probably to let you match the height of the cutting table of the saw to the height of the wings.
                    That's what I assumed. I just don't remember ever seen one made like that. Good idea though, in case you wind up with a different saw in the future.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Denco
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Coming soon: California
                      • BT3100

I really like it!
                      *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• protool
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Austin, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000

re: Kreg fences

Originally posted by JR

Re: the Kreg fences, do you find that the measurements are accurate?
                        JR, the Kreg fences are ridiculously priced but massively substantial & really, really, really nice. I had some cash b/c of an award at work (staff of the year! ) so i splurged on the fence. It was about $135 total. Certainly a splurge, but a very nice piece of kit.

Yes, they are completely accurate within at least a 64th. Very repeatable measurements with very stout stops which don't move if you slam a board into them. There is a small plastic window on the stop which shows the line over the ruler. These windows can be adjusted/trimmed with a thumbscrew which means it doesn't matter too much how accurate you are sticking on the ruler.
                        <><><><><><><><>
                        David Cox
                        Austin, Texas

Comment

• protool
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Austin, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000

adjustable table

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          THere is no standard height of miter saw tables above the bench.
                          Ed62, LChien is correct. The bolts allow me to adjust the height of the saw relative to the wings so that everything is level. I presumed that all saws are different and that I might have a different one someday.

Here's a closeup detail from the blog post (http://davidcox.org/wood/folding-rol...hop-saw-stand/) :
                          <><><><><><><><>
                          David Cox
                          Austin, Texas

Comment

• protool
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2003
                            • Austin, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000

sagging?

Originally posted by Cochese
                            Nice. Did you have to account for any potential sag? I had to modify my cabinet after about ten minutes because it was too heavy.
                            Cochese, No sag issues. On the tool platform, i put the leveling bolts (see the picture in the comment above) very near the feet of the saw so no problems with the plywood holding the saw sagging.

On the wings, they are fairly light weight (3/4ply w/ laminate top trimmed in hardwood). I put a leveling bolt on the wing support so that i can adjust the wing up & down to be level. No sagging there. Pic:

That said, the whole shebang is quite heavy, especially with the mortiser being stored underneath. When I roll it out of the garage, there's a 1-1/2" step at the garage door which is pretty hard on the wheels if the weight comes crashing down. Accordingly, I try to be gentle when rolling it off this step.
                            <><><><><><><><>
                            David Cox
                            Austin, Texas

Comment

• protool
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jul 2003
                              • Austin, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by big tim
                              Nicely done. I checked your blog and it looks like the fence can be adjusted a certain amount front to back as well as left to right. Front to back to accommodate a different saw? Left to right for longer measurements??

Tim
                              Tim, you are right on both accounts. I put the fences on t-track so that they can be adjusted forward & back in case i get a different saw.

I also slotted the fence so that I can make is slide to a much wider length if necessary. If I remove the innermost bolts & knobs, the whole thing gets to be about 11' wide. You'll see there's a set of lines on the table & fence which allows me to recalibrate the left & right distance so that the measuring tape on the fence is the correct distance from the blade.
                              <><><><><><><><>
                              David Cox
                              Austin, Texas

Comment

Working...