• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

Repairing retractable hose reels

I have three hose reels and spent some time working on 2 of them last night.

My primary reel, in the garage, is a HF enclosed model from several years ago (orange outer case, 50’, 3/8” rubber hose, and two hanging brackets). It has served me well but stopped holding position when extended. I found the manual and took it to the bench to see if I could fix it.

There is a huge spring in these things and they need to be treated carefully.

I found where the latch was damage (at its mounting location) and was surprised to see a secondary latch location in the same area. I spent about a ½ hour realigning the spring to line up with this location and remounted the latch in the other location. (Needed to trim some plastic but it worked well). When replaced and tested, all was well – no leaks induced – and it was good as new.

My second reel (in my basement shop area) is a small Duro reel – about 15’ of smaller rubber hose (probably ¼”) – that appears to have a pressure drop issue. I pulled it down from the ceiling checked the line in (without the reel), re-routed the input hose and the connection at the reel to further check for kinks, and checked it fully. It still seems to induce a drop in line pressure (like 30 psi less at 80 psi in – yielding more like 40-50 psi out).

Has anyone seen a problem where the swivel for these unit starts to reduce the amount of air thru it?

My third reel, in my shed, is a light duty Craftsman Workforce unit - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-hose-...a=00916349000P . The reviews for this light duty unit are not so great, and forget about coiling it back up at freezing temperatures, but it has served me well. I noticed in my reviews of fixing the unit that some people recommend spraying silicone spray on the hose to improve its retraction.

What are your thoughts on this? Will it make it too slippery to handle or bring dirt/dust into the unit?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the hose with the pressure loss, i PRESUME ITS WHEN FLOWING AND NOT WHEN JUST PRESSURED WITH NO FLOW? iTS hard to conceive hw there can be a pressure loss with no flow.
    Presuming its with airflow, then maybe you have got a piece of junk blocking a narrower spot in the hose, perhaps at the swivel junction. try blowing some air into the outlet end to see if you can dislodge the junk blowing it back out thru the inlet since it would get stuck at a narrow spot and the only way to get it out would be to reverse it.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-24-2014, 09:15 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RAV2
      Established Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Massachusetts

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      the hose with the pressure loss, i PRESUME ITS WHEN FLOWING AND NOT WHEN JUST PRESSURED WITH NO FLOW? iTS hard to conceive hw there can be a pressure loss with no flow.
      Presuming its with airflow, then maybe you have got a piece of junk blocking a narrower spot int he hose, perhaps at the swivel junction. try blowing some air into the outlet end to see if you can dislodge the junk since it would get stuck at a narrow spot and the only way to get it out would be to reverse it.
      I called Duro today and talked to their service department. Nice to get a real person who knew about this product. (Mine is a model 2001, made in 8/96). They suggested the same thing and I pulled it down and went thru all of the parts to check for blockages - really none. They recommended I lube the system and pm the seals while in there. Works nice and smooth now. I'm beginning to think that the small hose is the cause of the pressure loss. As far as I can see, all is functioning without issue.

Comment

Working...