Woodcraft.com

BT3Central Forums

Go Back   BT3Central Forums > Discussions > Tool talk

Tool talk This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Old 07-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Established Member

scoly is on a distinguished road
Toolkraft / Tradesmen 14" bandsaw

Anyone know anything about this model. Saw one at an estate sale and had to make a decision so I bought it for $100.00. Did get to check it and it does run smooth with very little vibration. It had a 1/4 inch blade and cut fine. Figured at that price couldn't go to wrong but what do I know. Don't know whether to gloat or hide my head. Any opinions?
Steve
Old 07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
The Full Monte

JR is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a deal to me! A good BS book might be in order - Dugginske's gets good reviews. It'll help you tune the thing up and assess what you've got.

They're pretty simple tools, so if it's got a cast frame and table it'll probably do the deed. Look for signs of balancing on the wheels (weights or material removed), which is good. If the frame allows for a riser kit that's good, too. It appears many riser kits are interchangeable between manufacturers.

Good Luck,
JR
Old 07-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Established Member

Well, I guess a miny gloat will do. Actually I'm really pretty happy with it. Does have a cast table and frame. What I will call the throat, where the saw blade comes up to the top wheel, is bolted to the bottom part and I would guess this is where a riser would go. Will have to do some checking and will definitely get a copy of Dugginske's book.
Thanks for the info.
Steve
Old 07-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

BrazosJake is on a distinguished road
Scoly,

Duginske's book is $10.49 @ overstock.com, but it looks a little dated to me and is kind of a tough read, he takes a full chapter on tracking and making the wheels coplaner, which I think could have been done in about two pages. Still some good info, especially how to make your own micropositioner.

You might want to check the Lonnie Bird book. Definitely get the Iturra designs catalog, lotsa good info in there about older bandsaws. Search the BA forum for my post to get the phone#.

Congrats on your find!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Established Member

Thanks! Will order the catalogue ASAP and check the library for Bird's book. Will be playing this weekend and would love suggestions on what I need to be watching for on the BS. Never been around one so I am just winging it while I do some research.
Thanks Again
Steve
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Forum Newbie

eclark is on a distinguished road
I have a Tradesmen 14" bandsaw that i got while in Maryland a while ago. It needs a new belt drive belt. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

vaking is on a distinguished road
Internet seems to say that Tradesmen band saws are also known under name Wilton. For instance - here is a link to Wilton Tradesmen 14" band saw:
http://www.eng.yale.edu/metl/Wilton%...20m_8201VS.pdf
If this is what you got - Wilton is part or WMH group, same as Jet and Powermatic. Jet 14" band saw is well known and pretty standard, risers and blades are interchangeable with many bandsaws. Finding parts should be easy.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Knottscott is on a distinguished road
Pics anyone?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Skaning is on a distinguished road
FWIW I remember Lowes was selling some stationary power tools under the Tradesman name a few years back. I wasn't in the market for anything at the time so I just noted it and passed on.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Gone but not Forgotten RIP

cabinetman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottscott View Post
Pics anyone?
I ran across this one:
5L15G55J63K83Lf3Jac3je202a2dec52611ab.jpg