Two Straigh Edge Clamps for price of one!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

Two Straigh Edge Clamps for price of one!

Can't vouch for the quality of these, but it seems like a great deal to me.

All-In-One 36" Straight Edge Guide and Clamp
    Buy One Get One Free

The All-In-One Straight Edge Clamp is an obstruction free straight edge. The perfect woodworking combination clamp and edge guide. Instant and easy adjustable edge to edge clamping with low profile jaws that never get in the way. Built in T-Track on the top side of the clamp allows you to use versatile accessories.
    Regular Price $30.99 Each

E-Direct Special Price
    2 for $27.99
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

straight edge clamps....

Originally posted by boblon

All-In-One 36" Straight Edge Guide and Clamp
    Buy One Get One Free

The All-In-One Straight Edge Clamp is an obstruction free straight edge. The perfect woodworking combination clamp and edge guide. Instant and easy adjustable edge to edge clamping with low profile jaws that never get in the way. Built in T-Track on the top side of the clamp allows you to use versatile accessories.
    Regular Price $30.99 Each

E-Direct Special Price
    2 for $27.99
    I don't have that particular one...but I do have one from HD. It is (2)
    4' metal guide rails that connect together to make an 8' guide with
    2 "c" clamps or can be used as a single 4' guide for $19.00. eezlock

Comment

• Stormbringer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Floral Park, NY
      • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by boblon

I have them...not this size but the 24", 50", 100". The quality is very good. Makes for an excellent straight edge that clamps down very tightly (three different clamping pressures).

With these types of straight edge clamps (and their twins from other manufacturers) you have to compensate for the distance from the dge to your router bit or circular saw blade ( a small piece of mdf works great for this). They also double as great clamps for panel glue ups.

Amazon is selling one for $34. One for for $27 is a great price. Two for $27 is nuts. Just keep in mind that it's 36" - not the more desireable 50" that lets you crosscut 4X8 sheets.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/10...lerank&x=9&y=8

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

They're good clamps. 2 for $27 is a great price.
        36" is too short for plywood sheet crosscuts, but makes a great drill press table or router table quickie fence. and a good size for crosscutting or dadoing wide boards with a router.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stormbringer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Floral Park, NY
          • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by eezlock
          Have that one too. Night and day difference. The two piece system (when connected together) "bows" in the middle with the pressure from a circ saw or router.

These are much more rigid and have a built in clamping system.

Comment

• Cike
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by eezlock
            I have the same sort of guide from Sears. While it appears that these items can work as smaller cutting guides, I would think their greater utility is as clamps, for example gluing stuff together (though I think you'd want a good flat surface to set the clamps on since they might have some flex).

C

Comment

• fiasco
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006

I just ordered them along with the 50" and some t-bolts. These are quality pieces right?

Comment

• JimK
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2003
                • Fairless Hills, PA
                • BT3100

Thanks for the tip. I just placed my order for (2) of the 36" clamps.

While I was looking at this thread I realized I could really use a 50" for cross cutting sheets of plywood with a circular saw. I looked around and saw that Rockler has their 50" for $29.99 right now (25% off) http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16448 . It is "temporarily oversold" until Jan. 9th (Update: now shows in stock), but with the free shipping I jumped on it. It looks like the quality may be a little better too. I think this same 50" clamp is going for $38.04 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/All-Clamp-Grip...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi, and the 50" version at Peachtree (different manufacturer I think) http://www.ptreeusa.com/allinoneclamp.htm is going for $37.99.

So, (2) 36" for $27.99 (+ $7.75 shipping), and (1) 50" for $29.99 (free shipping). Not a bad morning. Thanks again for the alert.

Jim K.
                Last edited by JimK; 01-13-2007, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• IBBugsy
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Allentown, PA.
                  • BT3100

JimK,

I just tried the Rockler deal on the 50" but I don't see Free Shipping??? Is there a trick to this??
                  Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
                  "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• JimK
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Fairless Hills, PA
                    • BT3100

Sorry, it was mentioned in a couple of the other Rockler related threads. Use promotion code "RTA60".

Jim K.

Comment

• IBBugsy
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Allentown, PA.
                      • BT3100

Thanks!! I just found it myself after a little searching.

Also bought from Rockler (1) the non-skid pad for use with a router that is at 1/2 price and (2) a dust collection tabletop hood at 20% discount.
                      Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
                      "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

I ordered the 2 from Peachtree yesterday. I'm not concerned about the quality, I've ordered from P'Tree before and 'if' there is a problem they will make it right. They are good folks to deal with.
                        ken

Comment

• JimK
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Fairless Hills, PA
                          • BT3100

From what I was hearing on this thread earlier, it seems that there's no need to worry about the quality of these. That's why I went ahead and bought them. Earlier I mentioned that the quality of the one from Rockler/Amazon "may be" a little better, but I was only basing that on pictures. They may be from the same manufacturer, maybe someone else knows. I couldn't tell if the one from Peachtree was the same model with the measuring scale along the edge, etc. I'm sure I'll be happy with both.

Jim K.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Floral Park, NY
                            • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by JimK
                            Earlier I mentioned that the quality of the one from Rockler/Amazon "may be" a little better, but I was only basing that on pictures. They may be from the same manufacturer, maybe someone else knows. I couldn't tell if the one from Peachtree was the same model with the measuring scale along the edge, etc. I'm sure I'll be happy with both.

Jim K.
                            The ones in the link I posted above from Amazon, these from Peachtree, the ones from Rockler and the ones from Woodcraft with the green handles are all the same. Made by E.Emerson Tool Co. http://www.eemersontool.com/ .These are similiar in design but better quality than the TruGrip by Griset.

Keep in mind, these are marketed as edge guides moreso than panel clamps. The actual clamp is only about a 1/2" tall which isn't ideal for clamping, but they could work well on short stock.

These straight edge/clamps are both similiar and different to the EZ Smart guide system by Eurekazone. Similiar since the real benefit comes from using the circular saw or router mounting plates that E. Emerson makes in conjunction with the edge guide. There's a channel on the top that accepts the mounting plate wihich prevents the saw or router from moving the slightest bit from the cut line (the only drawback to the homeade sawboard which requires you to keep the saw or router pushed up tight against the fence - not at all difficult but a possible problem nonetheless.) Using the saw plate or router plates results in a perfectly straight cut. I use the router plate with the guide and a straight bit to joint large panel edges. Silky smooth results Different from the EZ Smart since you have to compensate for the blade/bit distance from the guide edge. The EZ Smart lets you place the guide right on the cutline. The arguement as to which one is better takes place here http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=clamp I bought them after reading Scott's rationale.

I bought the double wide 8' which is really 102", the double wide 4' which is 54" and the regular 24". If I was to do it again I would get the regular version of the 4 footer from Rockler for $29. That is a GREAT price. I paid $70 from Amazon for the double wide and it really isn't necessary. .

These are quality made, lightweight aluminium guides. It would be best to dedicate a cheapo circ saw with a good blade to use with these guides and make the appropriate spacer so you can quickly line up your cut line. Push down on the handle. Done!

Greg

PS: FYI. For clarity purposes I removed my Circ saw from the mounting plate. You CANNOT cut it crooked if you tried
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Stormbringer; 01-06-2007, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• JimK
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Fairless Hills, PA
                              • BT3100

Wow, what a great response. You covered just about everything I wanted to know about these guides. The people on this forum are great. Thanks for all the info Greg (and pictures too). I'm looking forward to getting these.

Jim K.

Comment

Working...