Expensive SawBoard.....

.....for your edification...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/eurekazone-panel...QQcmdZViewItem
    Mike
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

The saw board has been discussed on this forum before and has received excellent recommendation on another forum. However, it's too expensive IMO. I can get by most cuts with a straight edge and two clamps.
    ________
    Karolina cam
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• silverfox
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Richland Center WI, USA.
      • BT3100

uh....too expensive to tack a couple of boards together?
      Mike

Comment

• Scottydont
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I have posted about my all-in-one clamps before. Rockler now carries them. Here are some reasons why I like them better.

1) They have built in clamps on the guide to secure to your stock and they can double as clamps.

2) You can have multiple plates (circular saw, router, laminate trimmer etc.) The benefit is you can mount the router to cut for example 1/32" inside the cut line for the circular saw giving you a joint ready edge with no jointer needed. The guide plates are expensive but they are easy to make. The wider guide plate really helps stabilize the router for any of you who have problems with your router getting "tippy" doing cuts like on lap joints or rabbets.

3) They come in various lengths 24,36,50, and 6" wide version that is 90". I have all of them. I like having various lengths. For example doing dados on cabinets 24" wide and imagine trying that with the 90 incher.

4) You can use stop blocks on them to aid in doing stop dados or mortises. They also have a pocket hole jig that clamps on the rail.

The bottom line for me is I did not mind spending the money ($300 at the WW show) to get that level of versatility. They Eurekazone guide can't give you that. If that is too much cash you can buy one and expand as you go.

As you can tell, I love mine.
        Scott
        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Stormbringer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Floral Park, NY
          • Bosch 4000

scottydont,

Could you please provide a link to where they are on the Rockler site?

Thanks

Comment

• dedaddy
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Dallastown, PA, USA.
            • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

I have the Eureka-Zone system. What it does beyond a plain saw board is important to me.

First, you lay the edge of the guide right on the cut line. You know exactly where the kerf will be. There is no measuring from the cut line to the edge of the board. This is the biggest advantage I have discovered. (Saw boards can be made this way. I don't think some of the other commercial clamps have this feature.)

Second, the ez-guide board edge and the saw plate shoe act as a zero clearance plate system, preventing splintering. The board edge is vinyl and replaceable. The plate shoe is custom fit to your saw then you lower the blade while it is running. The first cut trims it to match your particular saw. I have cut many sheets of plywood, osb, melamine and lengths of solid wood with this system and the results have always been glue ready cuts that are perfectly staight with no chip-out. I no longer cut oversize and then trim on the table saw. (I do use to table saw to make edges parallel to on another.)

One thing the all-in-one clamps require is straight, right angle edges to clamp on. The ez-guide can clamp anywhere on a sheet or board at any angle. I have also used it on wany solid stock. I have joined 12' 1x4's using 3 50" sections of the ez-guide connected together. I saw a boat builder ripping 15' boards using this system.

A home made cutting board IS much cheaper and can be custom made for a particular application if necessary. But I have found the investment in the Eureka-zone system has paid for itself many times over in time and material savings. Is the EZ system necessary to get a good cut -- NO. But for me it makes it much, much easier and requires much less skill on my part to make an accurate, straight, chip-out free cut.

I am glad I got one.

BTW - The October, 2005, issue of Wood magazine compared different guides to use with routers. That application is not the one where the EZ board works best. I have never used it with my routers (yet).

YMMV
            Lee
            =============
            I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• Scottydont
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Edmonds, WA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Stormbringer

scottydont,

Could you please provide a link to where they are on the Rockler site?

Thanks
              Sorry for the long URL. The old website of the creator was www.allinoneclamp.com . Rocklers URL is http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...=clamp%20guide
              Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Scottydont
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Edmonds, WA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by dedaddy

One thing the all-in-one clamps require is straight, right angle edges to clamp on. The ez-guide can clamp anywhere on a sheet or board at any angle.
                YMMV
                Let me preface my statement with the Eurekazone system looks like it is very good quality. As for right angles only on the allinone clamp, I beg to differ. While the built in clamp mechanism is made for 90 degrees, I have used Irwin hand clamp to do angle cuts and dado's with mine and it works very well.
                Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• dedaddy
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Dallastown, PA, USA.
                  • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

Scott, right you are. I was just thinking of the built in clamps.
                  Lee
                  =============
                  I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Scott, FYI ... when you use the search function to find a product on the Rockler site, after the product page comes up, scroll down toward the bottom and there will be a short-version link for that page. Here's the one for the same clamp you linked to:

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=11059

A wee bit shorter, as you can see.
                    Larry

Comment

• Scottydont
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Edmonds, WA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

Scott, FYI ... when you use the search function to find a product on the Rockler site, after the product page comes up, scroll down toward the bottom and there will be a short-version link for that page. Here's the one for the same clamp you linked to:

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=11059

A wee bit shorter, as you can see.
                      Thanks Larry!
                      Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• YCF Dino
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Edison, NJ, USA.

for your education[8D]
                        Ok Guys. Here is the deal. You can use any and all tools ever made and do one simple cut.
                        If your cut is better, easier or even faster than the EZ Smart you win $10.000.00 cash and my Fiat Spyder.(I need new car anyway)
                        This sawboard is a "manual and portable CNC. Take a look at this photo gallery and see what all other tools and guides they can't do.
                        http://eurekazone.com/gallery/albums.php

http://www.eurekazone.com/gallery.html
                        YCF Dino
                        YCF Dino

Comment

• silverfox
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Richland Center WI, USA.
                          • BT3100

Well...we have the inventor checking in....thanks, Dino. Maybe Scott can win $10,000?! Or not.
                          Anyway, it's a nice tool, Dino.
                          Mike

Comment

• Scottydont
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Edmonds, WA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by YCF Dino

for your education[8D]
                            Ok Guys. Here is the deal. You can use any and all tools ever made and do one simple cut.
                            If your cut is better, easier or even faster than the EZ Smart you win $10.000.00 cash and my Fiat Spyder.(I need new car anyway)
                            This sawboard is a "manual and portable CNC. Take a look at this photo gallery and see what all other tools and guides they can't do.

http://www.eurekazone.com/gallery.html
                            YCF Dino
                            OK Dino, I will take the $10,000 cash but you can keep the Fiat! It is a matter of public record that you have offered $10,000 and a Fiat for demonstrating it is easier better and faster and I am a competetive guy so I'll bite. The allinoneclamp system can do everything that was shown is those photos except adjust the x axis position of the router compared the the z axis of the guide like the EZ. One the EZ you adjust via the router guide, on Allinone you move the clamp guide (Different yes, let's just say it's draw on that one.)

Here are some more plus's I like about the allinoneclamp:

1) They double as clamps and you can't have too many, ask Pappy. (EZ can't do that, go grab another tool.)

2) The UMHW base plate is zero clearance plate to reduce chip out to almost none. (Better cut, I think so.)

3) You can add a featherboard attachment or stop blocks for stop dados for example that can be clamped on a tablesaw, router table, or drill press. (EZ can't do that, go grab another tool.)

4)It can be used with a pocket hole jig. (EZ can't do that, go grab another tool.)

5)The allinone clamps are designed to accept T-slot hardware for custom jigs. (EZ can't do that, go grab another tool.)

6)The clamps accept a 90 degree assy t-square base giving you perfect 90 degree set ups and has a built in rule in the top of the guide so I can measure and square up in one step. (I believe you would have to a seperate square and a rule on the Eurekazone for that hmmm, EZ can't do that, go grab another tool.)

7) The clamps can be used as a fence on the bandsaw, router table or drill press. (EZ can't do that, go grab another tool.)

8) The router plate can be used with 2 clamps/guides to flatten a bench. (EZ can't do that, go grab another tool.)

9) Allinoneclamps are locked with one hand with a lever action and the Eurekazone requires to to turn a knob on clamps on both ends. (Mine is faster.)

The Eurekazone is a great system too but I still want my 10,000 clams! I am sure that the BT gang will back me up. They will have no biased motivation even though I will use the 10K to fund the first annual BT3Central National Convention. [)] I will give a major product edorsement to Eurekazone.

I made these comments in the spirit of fun. I am grateful that there are inventors and entrepenuers being creative in designing versatile and engenious tools to make woodworking more fun.

(I'll still take the 10K!) [8D]
                            Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• YCF Dino
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Edison, NJ, USA.

Scotty. You're on my friend.
                              we can have the members of the forum to make up a cutting list and ...the challenge is on.
                              I like your winning spirit.[^]
                              Remember now. You can use any and all tools ever made. And not just your clamps. The tool guiding on the clamp and tools guide systems like yours and many others ,it was an afterthought.
                              But the clamping was the main design feature.
                              I like to see how can you cut narrow materials down t0 1/4".
                              long materials over 8"00".Angle cuts to any degree. Paper thin plastics. Repeat cuts without measuring. and few hundred other tasks.
                              But you know what? You only have to do one cut and within the limitations of your clamp and tool guide system.
                              I like the clamping features of your system.And the fact that you can use it as a tool guide is very nice.
                              But try to compare the cutting and routing capabilities of any "clamp and tool guide system" to the EZ Smart[?][?][?]
                              You need to take another look right here.

YCF Dino

YCF Dino

Comment

Working...