• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Lee Valley Jig & Fixture Parts Kit

Lee Valley has a "special buy" on a 149-Piece Jig & Fixture Parts Kit valued at over $100, now only $34.50 while supplies last. Both 1/4-20 and 5/16-18 versions are available.

In the past I have ordered most of the included items individually. Quality is excellent. If you can use the stuff in this kit, it's a great deal.
    Larry
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

That's not a bad price. Looks pretty similar to the one Rockler carries.

I wonder if the T-bolts are the same size? The Rockler ones can have problems with some t-tracks, especially Incra.
    This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!
    Erik

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's a great buy - now I wish I had not spent my money in the individual purchases all these years!
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Cubsfan
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • CO.

Just ordered it. There is an $11.50 shipping charge too, just FYI

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

T-bolt Head Size: I have only used the LV bolts with LV track -- I like theirs because it is clear anodized, not colored, and because it comes undrilled -- but as I recall the heads are indeed narrower than the Rocklers.

Shipping: Yes, there has always been a bit of a shipping-costs penalty on smallish orders from LV. They have only three ranges in their S&H rate chart, versus the six or eight that many vendors have, so the $11.50 for this kit if ordered alone is ~$2.50 more than if it was coming from Rockler or Woodcraft or Hartville Tool or whichever. However, in the same way that I can never get out of a Sam's Club for less than about $50, I can never place an LV order that's under $100, at which point the shipping charge is more competitive. Such was the case here: in addition to the kit, I ordered a couple more items that had been sitting in my Shopping Cart for a while.
          Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LarryG
            T-bolt Head Size: I have only used the LV bolts with LV track -- I like theirs because it is clear anodized, not colored, and because it comes undrilled -- but as I recall the heads are indeed narrower than the Rocklers.
            Cool, I picked up a 1/4" set.

However, in the same way that I can never get out of a Sam's Club for less than about $50, I can never place an LV order that's under $100, at which point the shipping charge is more competitive. Such was the case here: in addition to the kit, I ordered a couple more items that had been sitting in my Shopping Cart for a while.
            I know that feeling, I also picked up a few items I've been wanting for a while too; A Veritas holdown & shorter post, A veritas Jointer Fence for my planes, and their thread ID kit. Shipping came to $13.50

The shoulder planes and router planes will have to languish in my wish list a bit longer. Those new detail rabbit planes are pretty neat too.
            Erik

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

Thanks for the post

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

WOW!!!!!! THAT'S A LOW PRICE!

Sorry Larry, the devil made me do that.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

so what size would you get and why? also, what other things are useful to get from their site, i know that is a very subjective question, but are there other misc items that would be nice to have in a growing shop?

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

!/4" because I already had a mess of 5/16 hardware.

My absolute favorite are their saddle squares. I'll use mine constantly. They also have a set of small crank necked chisels which are handy, they're really great for glue squeeze out cleanups.
                    Erik

Comment

• Chris_B
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Cupertino, CA

+1 on the saddle square. I keep it in my apron and use it frequently.

Their circle-cutting center is simple, inexpensive and works great. The Mk.II honing guide also works great, but is definitely not inexpensive...

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                        so what size would you get and why? also, what other things are useful to get from their site, i know that is a very subjective question, but are there other misc items that would be nice to have in a growing shop?
                        If you're not familiar with Lee Valley you should request one of their catalogs. Very few items that they sell are anything but top quality and are usually listed at reasonable prices when you consider the quality level of the product. Their Customer Service is also second to none. Overall, they are a great company to do business with.

Where else could you get one of these or one of these?

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                          • BT3100

thanks guys for the suggestions

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LarryG
                            T-bolt Head Size: I have only used the LV bolts with LV track -- I like theirs because it is clear anodized, not colored, and because it comes undrilled -- but as I recall the heads are indeed narrower than the Rocklers
                            Yep, they are narrower than Rocklers. They Lee Valley 1/4" heads are more or less 15/32 x 23/32. The Rockler (5/16) ones measure 1/2 x 13/16. The Lee Valley ones are a little thinner too, by a little less than a 32nd.

I think the same Chinese company makes both. The boxes are exactly the same, the knurling on the bolts are similar and all the knobs are extremely similar. The only difference between Lee Valley's 149 piece and Rocklers 129 piece is that the former includes 20 washers. See the similarity below.

The Incra tracks I have are also 15/32 wide. The Lee valley bolts are a pretty tight fit. Some won't as the machining isn't entirely exact. A couple quick passes with a file and they work fine.

Overall, I'm pleased with the assortment, especially with the ~$35 price.
                            Attached Files
                            Erik

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                              also, what other things are useful to get from their site, i know that is a very subjective question, but are there other misc items that would be nice to have in a growing shop?
                              Their bench hold down is really cool. I just got it today, and I haven't put it to much use yet. Testing so far has proven it to be something I should have purchased some time ago. Not exactly cheap, but it is well worth it.

The Veritas magnetic jointer fence for a hand plane is pretty nice too. I squared up a couple test boards with my #8 extremely easily.
                              Erik

Comment

Working...